How To Clean Your Chainsaws Without Making a Mess

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having five saw shops on my property, my shop of choice is in the living room by the wood stove because it’s been so cold outside lately.

I have drawn the line at bringing an air compressor into my living quarters as I don’t relish the thought of getting oily sawdust from paper plate to tea kettle.

Anyway, I thought if I had a specialty type vaccum cleaner I could clean my saws without making a mess.

Does anyone know of a vacuum cleaner that would be useful for this application?

My shop vac works but also blows dust everywhere.
Thanks

Naaah, easiest method, place them outside well away from any buildings, vehicles etc, pour a litre of mix over each one, then set them on fire. The old built up oil sawdust n gunk will quickly disappear.

I just finished cleaning 3 grungy NTM saws using compressed air, a 5 gallon bucket of de-greasing solution, compressed air, followed by warm air drying.
I'm going to try something different next time. My thoughts were to make a bucket of hot de-greasing solution and feed it through my compressor powered sandblaster attachment.
It wouldn't be as harsh as a pressure washer, but the hot soapy water should do a good job on deposits of grease and wood chips.

I usually use only use my chainsaws when it's below 50º F, so cooling system blockage isn't my concern.
If the muffler catches fire from chips packed under it, at my age, I usually have to pee....
I only clean a chainsaw when I'm fixing something, and it's in my way.....lol

Keeping your shop clean while needing to clean saws is a challenge indeed. Same for testing the saws with the bar on it, while slinging bar oil on the floor.....

I have a retractable pressured air line that allows me to go out and blow off saw dust outside the garage (in one end of the garden), before taking the saw apart on the bench. In winter time, I use a fuel heated gun temporarely to heat up the garage, otherwise it's too cold..... Old bones .... But saws in the house......that sounds like pushing my luck too far...:buttkick:

I also have a habit of blowing clean my saws after a day of use. That's a two minute job that pays off .

Roland, where John is cutting its so cold there now and the days are quite short, he will be cleaning his saws in the dark outside if using compressed air and its super cold on the hands. Cold temps and sticky oil mixed in with saw dust chips accumulate very quickly in our climate this time of year, having a heated indoor area to work on the saws is a necessity if keeping them somewhat clean is wanted. Wintertime cutting here the clutch cover area is choked full of debris about every hour of operation, wooden scraper helps keep them running.

Roland, where John is cutting its so cold there now and the days are quite short, he will be cleaning his saws in the dark outside if using compressed air and its super cold on the hands. Cold temps and sticky oil mixed in with saw dust chips accumulate very quickly in our climate this time of year, having a heated indoor area to work on the saws is a necessity if keeping them somewhat clean is wanted. Wintertime cutting here the clutch cover area is choked full of debris about every hour of operation, wooden scraper helps keep them running.

True indeed. I can't even imagine what it is to work outside under such conditions.....
But on the hand, I remember a pic of John swimming naked in the snow... but then he was a few years younger I reckon;;;:laugh::laugh:

View attachment 782056 It’s just that I bought 3 new 261’s and want to keep on top of the cleaning. Note the electric toothbrush for superficial dirt. I think I’ll modify a small shop vac with a smaller hose.
Thanks for the replies.

They dirty up quick don`t they. Mine get blasted with comp air until they just have to go in the gun wash cabinet, 9 jets blasting varsol will clean them up quite well.

I’m just worried about the little circuit boards under the hood and If compressed air would damage them.
I’m sure I have 300 tanks through 3 261’s in a bit less than a month with no malfunctioning so far.
But gotta say I love that Stihl 325.
I’ve noticed that they don’t get up and talk in small wood, but they sure do in big wood.

Without making mess...hmmm

Well the mess that’s on the saw has to go somewhere unless you meticulously remove each spec. As mentioned above vacuum just doesn’t have the same abilities as compressed air.

My current best:
-Scrench scrape
-Various nylon brushes for crevices
-compressed air blast
-5 gal bucket of purple or green warm water solution for all plastics, parts, and fasteners.
-lots of paper towels bits clipped into medical forceps
-bourbon in my mouth-hole
-45 mins later bob’s yer uncle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of these can be had in used condition for very cheap, they make a good workshop for chainsaws, don`t take much to heat them.

images

Back