Trade in sell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonw0586

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Taking a couple old saws I saved from beong thrown away to my.local saw shop to try to sell or trade? Not familiar with the guys or process and waa told they basically probably take.them in back and then come out and tell me what they offer or dont offer..is thia common practice? Maybe I'm skeptical by nature but I instantly thought I dont want.the saws out of my sight is this wrong of me?? Anything else I should know or look for during this experience?

They probably need to pull the clutch cover and air filter off to look at the condition of the saw, pull the spark plug or muffler off to look at the condition of the cylinder and piston. I for one would not buy a saw without looking under the hood....

I’m not aware of any shop in my area that buys and sells used saws. As a private party buying and selling I like to pull the muffler to insect the cylinder if the seller allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would not sell those particular saws to a shop, anyway. You would get more for them from an enthusiast, being desirable models.

in fact, if I had those saws I wouldn't trade them for any new saw currently produced. Why go backwards? I would fix them.

you can't buy better saws.

My Stihl shop does trade ins. That being said I traded a 029 super for a new 241. They gave me $75 more than I paid for it. My next trade was a 036 for my 462. Got $125 more than I paid for it and I kept 2 good bars and 4 good chains and the case that came with the 036. Plus my dealer gives me better prices than MRSP. Both my trade ins were in extra good condition. Saved me the aggravation of dealing with some schmuck on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Didn't have to deal with packing and shipping either.

Taking a couple old saws I saved from beong thrown away to my.local saw shop to try to sell or trade? Not familiar with the guys or process and waa told they basically probably take.them in back and then come out and tell me what they offer or dont offer..is thia common practice? Maybe I'm skeptical by nature but I instantly thought I dont want.the saws out of my sight is this wrong of me?? Anything else I should know or look for during this experience?
It may depend on which brand and model the "old" saws are. A 2000 era plastic Poulan will likely be passed on where a Mac 125 might not.

Front counter staff are possibly retail only and have no idea of what to look for or what to offer- so they go out the back to the technicians and the workshop- where the tools and workers are that can pull mufflers and inspect/value saws.
If you don't want them out of your sight- ask if you can go back with them, then the technician can possibly show you why the saws were being trashed.
Also be aware there is probably a computer in the workshop and they can run serial numbers to see if the saws that you saved from the trash were in the trash because they were stolen and too hot to take to a repair shop.

Chainsaws sell themselves in my area. No upside for a dealer to try and sell someone else's problem. Sell here or on Craigslist, where you would get a knowledgeable buyer and a whole lot more cash.

There is only 1 pure saw shop that I have visited, and I don't recall seeing any used saws for sale. Most saws are sold by volume dealers or big box hardware stores and few to none have a mechanic on the payroll.

Just purchased a slightly used 2014 model yr Husky 346 xp from my local Dealer that I have dealt with for yrs . He takes in quality used saws regularly . I agree in most cases your at the discretion of the dealership , however being with the service technician when your saws are inspected is reasonable . The inspection is rather rudamentry , visual exterior check , compression test ' crankshaft or clutch drum run out visual inspection etc.

Latest posts

Back