Favorite Saw You Own

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had this very long but it didn't take long for it to become my favorite. 261 c-m

9oKvq4ol.jpg

I'm sure it didn't.If it's better than my 026,it's a great saw with a lot of power for the weight.One question though,did you swap bars? I was under the impression the Farm Boss designation was for the MS271 now.Was for the 290.

It's a swapped bar. I already had an 18" bar and wanted a 16" bar. The Farm Boss bar is a 16". Off the shelf it came with an 18" bar.

395xp tortillotson carb.

Some say they dont like the extra couple pounds to the 390xp.

So what I do is take a **** before work.
Problem solved.
Way tougher and the only saw I have ever touched I liked as much was the 372xp with the old cubed filter.

I hate heavy things too.
We are getting things done though not having a day at the beach.

What’s interesting to me is how popular the 266 is, but it is essentially the same chassis as the 268 and 272.
When discussing the 3-series, the 362 is a bastard, the 365 is ignored, and everyone wants a 372 or 372XPW 75cc. Essentially the biggest cylinder power plant is the most desirable.
Yet when discussing the 2-series, the 266 with its 2-part ignition and smaller cylinder is often remembered more favorably than its larger brothers.

The 365 special definitely has quite the reputation, despite it's cc disadvantage.

Tough choice, they are all favorites depending on what I need to use them on. The ones I use the most are a pair of Homelite xl-1s with 3/8 and .325 chains, the latter for limbing.
When the wood gets larger than 16 inch I switch to a Pioneer p-40. Or maybe the Homelite xl-902am.

Then again I recently started using a really smooth running Husqvarna 50 that I just fixed up.......

Favorite , thats a tough one . Let's see that I currently own ? Well within sentimental has to be my Pioneer 11:60 & P-20 Girls something about the feel & sound of an old school saw . As to my current saws , my new 576 xp is a felling brute , my new 346 xp is a dream for limbing , my new 243 xp is a disappointment , however my daughter loves it so that makes it a favorite , I guess my newest addition especially this winter the Dolmar 5105 H that Tim graciously offered me is my favorite recently since it fells , limbs & bucks & keeps my hands warm at the same time ! lol.

My new favorite is my Makita DCS 6401. It’s a fairly new acquisition for me but I really enjoy running it.
f0986d53187f0f9f625038e72287c176.jpg

My all time favorite is my Stihl 028 wb. But that’s for sentimental reasons. It was my fathers saw. He purchased it as an upgrade to his trusty Pioneer P26. A co-worker of his had a saw sharpening service that he ran as a side line. He became a Stihl dealer and my dad bought it from him. It’s now mine as I acquired it after my father passed. It’s in pieces on the shelf awaiting rebuild/ restoration.

We almost got twins.

As far as my favorite saw. As has been said it depends on the job at hand. Lately been running my Poulan 3000 a lot. Muffler mod, base gasket delete(squish .019”) running chisel .325” on a 16” bar that saw is FUN to run.

And of course my 390XP really makes me smile but I enjoy running all my saws.

Attachments

• 02E62FA9-E7E2-4ADF-8D42-FCAA925C0B27.png
    02E62FA9-E7E2-4ADF-8D42-FCAA925C0B27.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
My favorite saw is my tanaka 5601(zenoah g5000) its light, nimble, and can punch above its cc class, now it's in need of some new chains to go with it. Damn gravel inside an elm tree.

My surpass 5812 is right up there and now it's got a carburetor for a 372 on it thanks to @Leafy .... I seem to have a thing for zenoahs and there Chinese counterparts.

My favorite saw is my tanaka 5601(zenoah g5000) its light, nimble, and can punch above its cc class, now it's in need of some new chains to go with it. Damn gravel inside an elm tree.

My surpass 5812 is right up there and now it's got a carburetor for a 372 on it thanks to @Leafy .... I seem to have a thing for zenoahs and there Chinese counterparts.
I had never heard of tanaka until I used a leaf blower they made. It was old and really extremely powerful for its size and weight.

What have I been missing...?

I had never heard of tanaka until I used a leaf blower they made. It was old and really extremely powerful for its size and weight.

What have I been missing...?

They make great hedge trimmers also. And string trimmers and 2-stroke drills. Lots of guys used to use the drills for tapping Sunday maples. They're owned by hitachi now. Moved some stuff to China, not sure about their higher end tools.

Back