Why I love a 50cc saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad from Eaton Rapids. The guy I graduated with and re-found up at Kevin's. Cole has done some tree work with him.
Well, he's been holding out on me. That's funny you went to school/graduated with him :reading:. I know brad, I've hung out with him a bit, he's on a couple other forums I'm on. His echo 2511 was the first I ever held, had to have one after that, he also has a 7910 :rock:.
Did he have the echo ported.

Well, he's been holding out on me. That's funny you went to school/graduated with him :reading:. I know brad, I've hung out with him a bit, he's on a couple other forums I'm on. His echo 2511 was the first I ever held, had to have one after that, he also has a 7910 :rock:.
Did he have the echo ported.
Nope. Bone stock. It's light as heck and felt like it had more if a guy was so inclined.

I thought you did:laughing:.
Glad your liking the mk2, I haven't done much with mine. It's ran flawlessly on the few gallons I did run thru it this summer..
Her she is cutting some big black locust cookies :sweet:.

Brett how are you?, nothing at all wrong with a ms261 ,also a 5100 series dolkita , i want one of each .. nice video , you must be aware if you hold the throttle down ( completely) it will cut faster and rpm higher ? try it ...lol ..:)... locust is the same as pine right ? :rolleyes:

Brett how are you?, nothing at all wrong with a ms261 ,also a 5100 series dolkita , i want one of each .. nice video , you must be aware if you hold the throttle down ( completely) it will cut faster and rpm higher ? try it ...lol ..:)... locust is the same as pine right ? :rolleyes:
The only thing worse than wanting certain saws is having them and not being able to build/test them fast enough.

Yep, nice and soft like pine lol.
Tim keeps trying to sell me on the idea of the 5100/5105, I'm not buying lol. Just sent a 261 vs2 down to Texas, great saws for sure, but most the modern 50cc saws are.
Doing well up here, hope all is well put your way.

The only thing worse than wanting certain saws is having them and not being able to build/test them fast enough.
one of the reasons i have a couple new saws, never have had many new saws, 550II/572xpw is from buying , repairing and selling many saws , tillers, hedge trimmers, trimmers , concrete saws ,ect..not doing it as much any more, the 7am-4pm plus commute job, is burning me out at 54 years of age...:(

one of the reasons i have a couple new saws, never have had many new saws, 550II/572xpw is from buying , repairing and selling many saws , tillers, hedge trimmers, trimmers , concrete saws ,ect..not doing it as much any more, the 7am-4pm plus commute job, is burning me out at 54 years of age...:(
I'm struggling with similar time constraints. This time of year is fast and furious for bringing in new projects and it always seems like the latest scrounge is the one you want to get to first. First I had two 357s to build, then an 034 Super, three 550xps. I just got a 357xpg to clean up in the mail last night, and next week I'm looking to pick up a 394xp project for the Granberg. Wait.... this was a 50cc thread right?:laugh:

I got the 60cc Husqvarna 555 out for this tree. It took all of the 20 inch bar for this old dead White Oak. This load is headed to the boiler at my grandparents.
3da706f083e53be53f2550c8d624702b.jpg
a197e09c9fe4178d3399aa18e712a63a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

The light 50cc saw on the market is an Echo CS-501P. It’s lighter than the Stihl 261. That’s my vote for now when considering price and performance.

Great price on the Echos usually!
Is there a horsepower difference between the 501P and the 490? Looks like the exact same engine specs on paper anyway. 501P has aluminum handle, pro-lite bar and spring assist start so it looks a little more decked out than the 490. Canadian sites says the 501P is 10.4 lbs while the US site says it's 10.6 lbs. That's odd.

Echo 490 & Echo 501P
Engine Displacement (cc) 50.2
Engine Displacement (cu in) 3.06

CDN site:
http://www.echo.ca/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-500P
Site has name confused with older model in the above URL but does refer to the 501 on the page.

US site:
https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-501P

Echo claims a 20% increase in power in the 501P. It's still tuned pretty mild so I'm not sure about the claim. I still like it though.

I like a sleeper saw ... I see Echo's claim of +20% grunt - any hp details?

501P retails for :eek: $818 Cdn - I paid $650 Cdn for my 261 c-m.

US dollar for 501P @ Homedepot.com retail is $551 - at current exchange rate should be $724 CDN

CDN Homedepot charging CDN buyers $94 Cdn more- either way 501P is pricier here even when 261-cm is not on sale. Frankly I wasn't expecting to see the 501P selling for so much.

Canada
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ec...0-2-cc-gas-2-stroke-cycle-chainsaw/1001297859

US
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-20-in-50-2-cc-Gas-2-Stroke-Cycle-Chainsaw-CS-501P-20/207111498

I agree 50cc saws are very handy saws and light I have been able to do a lot of trees with 50cc saws got a ols echo cs 5500 and a stihl 029 supper they are my go to saws for fire wood and felling limbing what evers needed. I had a 550xp it was a basket case I couldn't get it fixed so I sold it to big dee he was very genourous and sent me a Husqvarna 61 now it is the largest saw on my fleet I am excited to put a carb kit in it and run it some day.

I like a sleeper saw ... I see Echo's claim of +20% grunt - any hp details?

501P retails for :eek: $818 Cdn - I paid $650 Cdn for my 261 c-m.

US dollar for 501P @ Homedepot.com retail is $551 - at current exchange rate should be $724 CDN

CDN Homedepot charging CDN buyers $94 Cdn more- either way 501P is pricier here even when 261-cm is not on sale. Frankly I wasn't expecting to see the 501P selling for so much.

Canada
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ec...0-2-cc-gas-2-stroke-cycle-chainsaw/1001297859

US
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-20-in-50-2-cc-Gas-2-Stroke-Cycle-Chainsaw-CS-501P-20/207111498

That's crazy on the 501P prices. I just bought mine a while back from a local lawn shop. I paid $449 with an 18" bar.

Latest posts

Back