Favorite Saw You Own

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's difficult to pick a favorite as anything around here that doesn't make the grade goes on down the road, that goes for the wife as well. She's always for sale, best deal in the bunch, because in a week you'll pay me MORE to take her back!....LOL

Seriously I'm real partial to my 268XPS. It's basically a "race horse" just sitting there waiting for a chance to show it's stuff. I don't use it as much these days simply because I've filled the line-up with more "expendable" saws that have full parts support. I see no need to "grind-up" the good stuff when I can cut just as much wood with a $300 Echo CS-590 Timberwolf, and if it breaks every single part is readily available and if I smash the entire saw no big deal to replace it.

My second favorite saw is going to be believe it or not a tie between my Echo CS-510 and both Husqvarna closed port 55's. They are super-fast in the cut, excellent power to weight, excellent power for the cc's and light enough that at my age they don't wear me out nearly as fast as the larger saws.......Cliff

I agree there are a lot of nice saws with plastic handle bars but never seen a full wrap plastic bar if I a fire fighter needs a saw they don't reach for plastic I don't think at least pro saws seam to come with metal handle bars pro saws Husqvarna does a nice job with there saws same with stihl a lot of stihl saws use plastic which you paying threw the roof for a saw to begin with why cheeze out and do plastic I guess its a saw enthusists preference.

or the big companies putting more money in there pockets to cut costs. I guess or mabey that's what folks want I still prefer a solid handle to grab beter to bend than melt or snap.

really I like all them saws I find them all fascinating thanks for all the great input from fellow chainsaw enthsists it made me look at opions difrently which I can understand better now.

rock on:chainsaw::blob2::guitar::barbecue:chainsaw chap here
There really are some good saws with plastic handles( I've owned many), and there are many in this thread, so it seems plenty of guys don't think of it as a downgrade ;).
Not sure why a guy on a fire crew would need a wrap saw unless you're talking about guys out west cutting ahead of fires, but I would want a metal handle doing that sort of work as well. On the smaller saws a plastic handle doesn't seem to make as big of a difference as it would on a larger saw, probably why the larger saws have mostly metal handles. Good amount of plastic on many of the newer wrap handles securing them to the mounts on the plastic tank :).
Not sure what the guys wanting a full metal handle for fire work will do in the future, not sure they've even gotten all the bugs out of the mtronic/autotune saws yet either for working around small/fires.
This is why we all need to have many favorites :clap:.
Dang plastic lol.
Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 1.18.34 PM.png

There really are some good saws with plastic handles( I've owned many), and there are many in this thread, so it seems plenty of guys don't think of it as a downgrade ;).
Not sure why a guy on a fire crew would need a wrap saw unless you're talking about guys out west cutting ahead of fires, but I would want a metal handle doing that sort of work as well. On the smaller saws a plastic handle doesn't seem to make as big of a difference as it would on a larger saw, probably why the larger saws have mostly metal handles. Good amount of plastic on many of the newer wrap handles securing them to the mounts on the plastic tank :).
Not sure what the guys wanting a full metal handle for fire work will do in the future, not sure they've even gotten all the bugs out of the mtronic/autotune saws yet either for working around small/fires.
Dang plastic lol.
View attachment 782595

From memory it’s a requirement to have a full wrap on all fire for safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's difficult to pick a favorite as anything around here that doesn't make the grade goes on down the road, that goes for the wife as well. She's always for sale, best deal in the bunch, because in a week you'll pay me MORE to take her back!....LOL

Seriously I'm real partial to my 268XPS. It's basically a "race horse" just sitting there waiting for a chance to show it's stuff. I don't use it as much these days simply because I've filled the line-up with more "expendable" saws that have full parts support. I see no need to "grind-up" the good stuff when I can cut just as much wood with a $300 Echo CS-590 Timberwolf, and if it breaks every single part is readily available and if I smash the entire saw no big deal to replace it.

My second favorite saw is going to be believe it or not a tie between my Echo CS-510 and both Husqvarna closed port 55's. They are super-fast in the cut, excellent power to weight, excellent power for the cc's and light enough that at my age they don't wear me out nearly as fast as the larger saws.......Cliff
Ditto that Cliff my sentiments exactly , good points ... well except the Wife perhaps lmao .

Dang plastic lol.
View attachment 782595
That's a sweet rig you got there chipper1 is that a 462?with a plastic wrap bar?

That's a sweet rig you got there chipper1 is that a 462?with a plastic wrap bar?
Thanks.
Yes its the 462. It only has plastic on the elbow, but there are also pieces on the front lower portion that hold it to the tank that are plastic as well. Haven't heard how they hold up popping big wedges out, probably as well as lightweight bars do, need to take the weight savings and deal with some reduced durability.
Does your 562 have plastic for the wrap portion, I had a 562xpwg but I can't remember what it had for sure, pretty sure it was plastic because only the main portion had heat.
Every tool has its place.

Has to be my Mcculloch Pro 10-10A, for me personally it's not just the quintessential Mcculloch saw, it's what i grew up watching my dad use day after day (a 10-10).

My dad got this one for free a few years ago and gave it to me (he did some work for a guy that hoardes power equipment).

For me this will always be "the" chainsaw.

Attachments

• 20191224_144641_HDR.jpg
    20191224_144641_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20191224_144709_HDR.jpg
    20191224_144709_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 20191224_144559.jpg
    20191224_144559.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 25
Has to be my Mcculloch Pro 10-10A, for me personally it's not just the quintessential Mcculloch saw, it's what i grew up watching my dad use day after day (a 10-10).

My dad got this one for free a few years ago and gave it to me (he did some work for a guy that hoardes power equipment).

For me this will always be "the" chainsaw.
that is a nice saw back when usa built great saws shes a bute what year is that saw?

I got a mini Mac 30 it's built well needs a pull starter reciol peice looking for one price I can afford 30 bucks from austrila might just take a chance on a parts saw.

Do any of you guys have kids, can you pick which one you like best? This Poulan Super 68 with 31" bar is my new pet.
XGX5TJQ.jpg

Then my all time favorite is this Homelite Super 1050 with 36" bar, it's the first 1050 my Dad bought in the early 70's.
4laqa2f.jpg

Then you've got this pile to dig through.
FMFniqF.jpg

How can you pick one?

I got a mini Mac 30 it's built well needs a pull starter reciol peice looking for one price I can afford 30 bucks from austrila might just take a chance on a parts saw.

if your recoil broke the same way as it did on two of my mini Macs, which i would bet it did (metal ring broke loose from the plastic recoil spool) it can be repaired with JB Weld if done carefully. That's how i fixed both of mine and they are holding up.

if you're recoil broke the same way as it did on two of my mini Macs, which i would bet it did (metal ring broke loose from the plastic recoil spool) it can be repaired with JB Weld if done carefully. That's how i fixed both of mine and they are holding up.
wow mac attack you are absolutely right metal tab broke I treid to glue it with something other than jb weld I had no success jb weld is worth a shot. thanks bud

Back