Favorite Saw You Own

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow mac attack you are absolutely right metal tab broke I treid to glue it with something other than jb weld I had no success jb weld is worth a shot. thanks bud

Another edit:

You have to carefully pull the metal ring completely out of the plastic part in order to get enough JB Weld in between both pieces to make it solid.

How i did mine was i got the metal ring and the plastic part both as clean as possible with acetone, then i put a thin coat of JB Weld in the plastic spool and also on the metal ring, then i carefully used a vice to press the metal ring in all the way. Then you need to make sure the JB Weld does not goop down too much onto the bottom where the screw and washer are located (which would keep it from moving if it cured like that). If the plastic part has any cracks like one of mine did, try to fill it in with JB Weld.

The key is to make sure everything is very clean of oil, old glue, etc. Use acetone and NOT alcohol to clean.

Almost forgot... also rough up both mating surfaces with sandpaper to get the maximum adhesion.

Good luck Bud!

Thanks.
Yes its the 462. It only has plastic on the elbow, but there are also pieces on the front lower portion that hold it to the tank that are plastic as well. Haven't heard how they hold up popping big wedges out, probably as well as lightweight bars do, need to take the weight savings and deal with some reduced durability.
Does your 562 have plastic for the wrap portion, I had a 562xpwg but I can't remember what it had for sure, pretty sure it was plastic because only the main portion had heat.
Every tool has its place.

Just the elbow is plastic from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There really are some good saws with plastic handles( I've owned many), and there are many in this thread, so it seems plenty of guys don't think of it as a downgrade ;).
Not sure why a guy on a fire crew would need a wrap saw unless you're talking about guys out west cutting ahead of fires, but I would want a metal handle doing that sort of work as well. On the smaller saws a plastic handle doesn't seem to make as big of a difference as it would on a larger saw, probably why the larger saws have mostly metal handles. Good amount of plastic on many of the newer wrap handles securing them to the mounts on the plastic tank :).
Not sure what the guys wanting a full metal handle for fire work will do in the future, not sure they've even gotten all the bugs out of the mtronic/autotune saws yet either for working around small/fires.
This is why we all need to have many favorites :clap:.
Dang plastic lol.
View attachment 782595
C514D203-BC37-44E0-8542-94A9509FEC96.png
Twins:)788EA713-A7F6-49FD-A542-42EDA99025CD.jpegNot my favorite, yet....

This one is though, so far...E9EE0934-6B91-4113-9FDA-A1C1B7BA36CD.jpeg Ported 562, really like the way it handles and runs. Always runs flawless and can do everything I need.

I prefer huskys, but that stihl in the back right looks like it would be the lightest other than the baby 170, so I'd choose that, also is probably the smoothest.
But I'd keep the one of your dad's around for sure.
The old Stihl in the back is an 08S that my buddy pulled out of the dumpster at the landfill. I like it because it's a 48CC saw that pulls 404 chain.As far as the smoothest runner, I might have to pick the Homelite XL 924 with the 30" bar. As much as I love my old 1050's, I'd much rather have the XL924 hanging on my belt 70-80’ feet up, than the 1050.

The old Stihl in the back is an 08S that my buddy pulled out of the dumpster at the landfill. I like it because it's a 48CC saw that pulls 404 chain.As far as the smoothest runner, I might have to pick the Homelite XL 924 with the 30" bar. As much as I love my old 1050's, I'd much rather have the XL924 hanging on my belt 70-80’ feet up, than the 1050.
Further to the right lol.

Thanks, good runner too.

I was given that saw recently with a Husqvarna 51, both had not been used in quite some time. They were in a machine shop under a work bench and covered with oil, dust and dirt. This actually protected them although at a glance they looked like they needed to be tossed in the dumpster.

The Mac 10-10 cleaned up nicely and didn't need much to get it going. It has 158psi compression and runs flawlessly. A 20" bar/chain replaced the factory 16" set-up, and a added the felling dog and handle wrap.

It's pretty fun to operate, rough, grumbly, loud as hell, and plenty of low end grunt......just like I remember the Mac's we used to run back in the 70's and 80's......Cliff

I have no attachment to the Mac 10-10, it's just fun to run obnoxiously loud old grumbly saws once in a while. I just walked in from running it for about an hour. I put a new starter rope on it when it showed up here and it was a bit too small in diameter as I was out of the larger variety. I just wanted to get it replaced with the right stuff, then put back in storage. I worked over a HUGE Cherry log with it, probably around 36" in diameter. It lugged it's way thru it, and cross cut the huge pieces to make them easier to manage. It could really use a full skip chain vs full comp, and a 24" bar instead of 20. I think it would be better balanced and pull the slightly longer skip chain a little better........Cliff

Homelite 540 reminds me of Dad
a07217c0d38f38c2f7ae6821d201a8d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Probably my Homelite Super XL Auto. It's old, heavy and loud. Its sucks through gas and does not rev very high. I like the old school torque from the reed valve engine and how it makes a nice cloud of blue smoke when I first fire it up. It was my grandpas old saw and I would not trade it for anything.

There really are some good saws with plastic handles( I've owned many), and there are many in this thread, so it seems plenty of guys don't think of it as a downgrade ;).
Not sure why a guy on a fire crew would need a wrap saw unless you're talking about guys out west cutting ahead of fires, but I would want a metal handle doing that sort of work as well. On the smaller saws a plastic handle doesn't seem to make as big of a difference as it would on a larger saw, probably why the larger saws have mostly metal handles. Good amount of plastic on many of the newer wrap handles securing them to the mounts on the plastic tank :).
Not sure what the guys wanting a full metal handle for fire work will do in the future, not sure they've even gotten all the bugs out of the mtronic/autotune saws yet either for working around small/fires.
This is why we all need to have many favorites :clap:.
Dang plastic lol.
View attachment 782595

How would you rate your 462 c-m? I've toyed with getting a 462 but if I'm being practical, I don't really need one for what I'm typically cutting. Does it blow you away compared to a 562 - do you notice any weight difference? you running the Stihl 24" lightweight bar? Your thoughts? Thanks!

Back