Not so Merry Christmas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve often woken up at night fearing my saws have gone missing. My wife thinks I’m crazy but the truth is they represent a large investment of time and money. Many would be too cost prohibitive and/or time consuming to try and replace. I beefed up security in my shop and now I sleep better at night.
Jeremiah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve often woken up at night fearing my saws have gone missing. My wife thinks I’m crazy but the truth is they represent a large investment of time and money. Many would be too cost prohibitive and/or time consuming to try and replace. I beefed up security in my shop and now I sleep better at night.
Jeremiah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Best security is someone home armed!

I haven't lock a door in 8 years. I pity the fool that tries to steal anything from me. My little dog barks when a pine needle crashes on to the ground. Most of my firearms are loaded and I can hit fast moving targets (ask the wolf that is hanging in the garage with no hide) at a 100 yards, and everybody knows it too. :)

And I am more secure then some in my area. I have a neighbor that has an open pole barn crammed full of expensive tools and equipment. I was up there yesterday, and there must be several thousand dollars of almost brand new Dewalt tools protected only from the rain and snow that falls straight down.

So many years ago in Florida, some guy was tired of thieves breaking into either his house or a storage shed. I forget which one it was.

Anyways, he set-up a shotgun with a trip wire aimed at the door that kept getting broken into. No blank round, but an actual 12 gauge round. Anyways, the thieve(s) returned, and the trip wire / shotgun worked as intended.

The thief actually survived the blast (if my memory is right) and the property owner was sent off to prison.

So many years ago in Florida, some guy was tired of thieves breaking into either his house or a storage shed. I forget which one it was.

Anyways, he set-up a shotgun with a trip wire aimed at the door that kept getting broken into. No blank round, but an actual 12 gauge round. Anyways, the thieve(s) returned, and the trip wire / shotgun worked as intended.

The thief actually survived the blast (if my memory is right) and the property owner was sent off to prison.

Sounds like he needed a better lawyer. Florida? Sounds like California.

I got a shovel and more then 1.5 million acres of Bitterroot National Forest behind my cabin. I could leave the shovel home and let the predator animals take care of the body. Take about a day.

I once put a road kill deer from the highway, about a few 100 yard into the forest to see if I could draw in some coyotes. A mountain lion carried it off sometime before the couple of days when I went to check on it.

I don’t lock any of my outbuildings or my house. Keys to all my vehicles are in the ignitions. I have so much stuff, I honestly don’t think I would notice if someone actually entered and took something. Out here on the coast, you can could pretty much furnish a home with what people put out to the curb on trash/recycle day. Meth/pot heads are far too lazy to actually steal something. It would be too much like work.

Bummer on your saw….they make more…and some are better!

The problem is the thief has the advantage. If you were to attack or shoot them you would end up in jail as you would need to prove that you were in immanent danger. So unless they try to hurt or kill you you are not allowed to do anything to them. It's messed up but the only revenge I would like to see is if they take it to a local pawn shop and it comes back to cops as stolen and perp get a set of silver bracelets and a ride.

I live in a remote mountain setting on a dead end.......keeps things simple, just feel for the wife beside me and start firing. Lol

OP, very sorry some scum bag got what you worked for, sad.

Although we live in a relatively low-crime area, we still lock our doors all the time. House and vehicles. We never leave our vehicles unlocked when out & about.

It's a mindset I adopted long ago. Only once, did I have a vehicle broken into. Although the ass wipe did get into my truck, he took nothing. Maybe that's cause my girlfriend at the time, saw him from her 2nd story apartment window.

She yelled out to me what was going on, and I was down that flight of stairs in a flash. He had about a 7-10 second lead on me and disappeared into the 2 am night.

I yelled out, that if he were to ever return, I'd have his head on a stick. I knew he could hear me. I'm sure some of the neighbors did as well.

Many thieves today have an ulterior motive -- monry for illegal drugs. They don't want what they steal, but they have a buyer lined up for what they do steal. They take the buyer's money and buy the drugs because that is what they really want.
That's been going on since I can remember it used to heroin addicts now it may be more meth? But I aint no expert on dope. I do know of Junkies that stole from their Grandmother. Weak right?

79108795_2682778475304353_7540551473155801088_n.jpg

Discovered on Christmas Eve day that someone had snuck into my garage while were home, took a bolt cutter to the paddle lock securing my saws and grabbed my 7300 and to add insult to injury they took my 8' cable with them. Police report filed, put a post on FB offering a reward locally. I wish I could get over it but I am just pissed. It was way to targeted to be random as that is the only item missing and my 5100 S was sitting right next to it.

Maybe it will turn up but I doubt it.

Nail em to the wall and cut their balls off is what I say. I have a 1930 century 2 barrels under my bed and a cctv system so I'm likely to go to jail if that happens.

I hope you get satisfied after all in 2020, I feel you do. My best wishes.

Back