I Missed the Tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iv been in the woods with for 20 plus years and never heard of a Hookaroon. Very interesting

I did the same. I knew about them but considered the price way out of reason for what boils down to a 'nail in stick'. Bought my first one when logrite had a 36". Kicked my rear hard for not buying one much earlier. IMO anyone working firewood without one is handicapping himself.

I did the same. I knew about them but considered the price way out of reason for what boils down to a 'nail in stick'. Bought my first one when logrite had a 36". Kicked my rear hard for not buying one much earlier. IMO anyone working firewood without one is handicapping himself.
I’m thinking of getting one because for the winter I’m splitting a pile of butts from when they logged behind me that’s 10- 15 foot tall and the size of a big above ground pool so it would be nice for pulling them out instead of smashing my toes when a 36” round falls down with the one I grab. Some of the pieces I get 4-5 24” rounds out of so it isn’t going to help me with that.

I’m thinking of getting one because for the winter I’m splitting a pile of butts from when they logged behind me that’s 10- 15 foot tall and the size of a big above ground pool so it would be nice for pulling them out instead of smashing my toes when a 36” round falls down with the one I grab. Some of the pieces I get 4-5 24” rounds out of so it isn’t going to help me with that.

They aren't just for pulling rounds. I have used mine as a walking stick, to retrieve a saw from the botom of a creek, pick up the handle of an ax vice bending over, etc. If I am cuttig in woods, working on the wood pile, hauling wood. one is always with me, sometimes all 3. 24", 36", 8'.

Use one once and you'll never be without one again.

Why have one when you can have multiple? I need to get another one to put in the garage because I can see where I can use it for other stuff.

I know what you mean, I'm a truck driver, and my Fifth wheel pin puller has been in my pick up canopy for a Long time. It just has a hooked end, not sharpened, but I use it for dragging things within reach all the time. I drive a tandem drive tractor, so I'm reaching between the axles to release my fifth wheel, when I get stuck in a single drive axle tractor, I miss it, there's a lot less room reaching over the drivers to pull the 5W release.

Doug :cheers:

The wifey gave me a Fiskars hookaroon yesterday. I've already put it to the test and you guys were right, it's an absolute must have tool. It makes everything so much easier. Between the Fiskars and my new Woodchuck, cuttin wood will be a lot more fun!

i bought a logrite and a friend gave me a fiskars. i call them picaroons. use them to move rounds from the ground to my splitter. the logrite is my go to, just seems to feel better and have the right weight for me.

I've got two Logrite 36" and a long handled one I made from a shovel handle. I need new tips for the logrites as they just don't bite like they did even after sharpening with a die grinder. The long handled one is real handy, threaded rod that is real sharp and then heat treated.10-31-19 14.JPG 1023191119.jpg

I made a hookaroon from an old axe. works well although I don’t use it a whole lot. I also made two Harry Hooks A few years ago that are 6 1/2 or 7 feet long. they are wonderful for pulling rounds and split firewood out of the 8 foot trailer without ever having to climb in there. I use those more than I use the hookaroon.
I also made a real short hookaroon type thing out of an old straight claw framing hammer. I use that a lot around splitter. I sharpened the claws and narrowed them up to bite. sharpened the nail striking side to make about a 1 inch wide axe/cutting face for cutting fibers and stuff around the splitter when something doesn’t split all the way through

I thought this thread I started would last a few posts. I see it has taken off some. Good discussion. I could not work wood without my hookaroon. Some years back someone here started a thread on homemade hookaroon. That is how I found out about them. I made mine using a railroad spike. I put a slightly curved hook on it. It penetrates good. If it doesn’t release easy I just rotate the handle and the square shank makes a large hole for easy release. I need a shorter model for working around the splitter. I was going to post a picture here but I could not find the pipe I was going to use. I’ll make one as soon as I locate that pipe.

I had to roll this old Hackberry round out from a corner. Super heavy 26x36”. It was a piece of cake with the hookaroon29C39475-A6D0-4DFF-AEDD-74BC35D466E3.jpeg29C39475-A6D0-4DFF-AEDD-74BC35D466E3.jpeg

I found a 4' LogRite hook-a-roon this fall at LogRite's booth at the Paul Bunyan show. Very helpful over the shorter version for my situation, leveling the lower layer in the drum. I was surprised to find the newer hook-a-rooms are skinny. My old one, a Stihl which I think was made by LogRite, is a nice large dia. Although when I mentioned that to the guy at the booth, he said he did not remember them making the larger tube ones. So maybe they did not make the orange Stihl brand.
I also bought a second short handled peavey for the second log deck. Sometimes when shifting logs that are criss crossed on the log deck the tip of the peavey will get trapped, and the handle kicked,
when the logs move. I had to be careful to keep my head out of the way of the longer handles. I really like these short ones.
IMG_2217.jpg IMG_2214.jpg 0525121543.jpg 0525121543a.jpg IMG_0589.jpg

This is how I find my Hookaroon. Always standing proud like a good soldier. Ready to do battle.

I had to clear this small load from my tractor. A neighbor down the road has been getting hit by wild hogs. We walked the area this morning. They have destroyed her front and back yards. Going to take my hog trap over and see if a can trap a few of those nasty and dangerous animals. We are getting overrun with them.

3D24907B-13B9-4DFF-9572-BC57DCBF9F7B.jpeg 95BC81DB-D3A6-4A98-B694-8FB40830C8F7.jpeg

Latest posts

Back