Did I buy the Wrong size file or is Google Wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere out there in the interwebs, somebody is wrong about practically any topic you can imagine.

+2

Problem I see is that there are WAY too many people who need to quit regurgitating old/outdated information based solely on their Google skills, what they heard some place, advice from their beer drinking buddies, etc. This goes for about every topic out there and not a single day goes by in the shop I don't get a call from someone who buys in to all that Internet BS.

The "basics" of file size and it's use hasn't changed since I started cutting firewood way back in the early 1970's.

Back then it was easy, we bought only saws that used .375", full chisel. So we only had to buy 7/32" files. In more recent years we've moved to smaller saws and .325" so have to keep 3/16" files around, and even more recently 3/8LP so now we have 5/32".

I don't use Stihl chain and even when I incidentally ended up with a loop or two of it in .375" it was sharpened with 7/32" files and never grumbled much, but IF that was the main deal around here I would invest in the recommended files for it.

The following comment is certainly not meant to confuse anyone, but I know folks who switch to the slightly smaller 13/64" files on Oregon .375" chains when they get very close to the end of their life expectancy. I don't bother with that here and they seem to keep cutting just fine as the teeth get smaller using the 7/32" files on them......Cliff

Yes I definitely will for sure from now on because the kid that was the salesman at farm and home the day I bought the file and chain didnt even know the difference in the sizes of chains or anything about them I had to find everything myself and teach him about the pitch gauge and link count while I was doing my shopping. Pretty bad when the salesman knows nothing about what he is in charge of saling. Which i am totally new to this chainsaw stuff. Just purchased my first saw 3 weeks ago. But with in that time i knew more than he did and he is the one who's paid to help the customers lol.

Welcome to the modern shopping experience.

Time was when you wanted something or parts for it you went to the store and whomever waited on you was helpful and knowledgeable and you could take them at their word. Today,that's not always the case.Some of it is because the chain stores don't pay their people that well so the smart ones move on to where the good jobs are.That is unless you find a retired person working to supplement income and has had some experience in the field you're in.
The smaller independent dealers or local hardware and farmer's co ops are are more likely to give you the best advice and service.
To repeat what others have said,this is a great place to ask for information.You may,sometimes,get a more in depth answer than what you were looking for but I'd rather have that than a quick answer which doesn't amount to more than a simple answer. The generic,quick response doesn't explain why and doesn't let me learn any more.
A few words of advice for someone new to saws:
1/ Take your time and learn all you can about techniques and safety.
2/ Buy yourself some saw chaps,safety glasses and hearing protection at a minimum. I know you've seen pictures of people running saws in shorts and sandals without a care but you don't have to pay their ER bill,either.
3/You don't need "racing grade" saws and equipment to start with.Later ,if you want.
4/ Don't skimp on essentials,either. Use good 2 stroke mix in your fuel,buy a decent quality grade of hand tools like axes and use a good bar oil.
5/Take care of yourself and your equipment and both will last a lot longer.If something looks too dangerous to try,it probably is.Ask someone who knows what they are doing to help you or do it for you.

Google..... wrong........ :eek:
You mean there is not someone out there proof reading everything that every armchair expert bangs on the interweb thingy?
Nobody watching and researching every youtube video and researching the information provided to assure it is factual?

Truth is, there is probably more misinformation out there than fact and any "expert" with access to a keyboard and or camera can pile the internet up with pretty much anything they like- fact or not so- the fun is in filtering through the crap to find the gems.

When those Stihl 2 in one files first came out I wanted to buy one, stopped at a local Stihl dealer and they only had the smaller size on the rack so asked a sales person if they had any the size needed for the 3/8 chain on my 562, so he looks at the rack and tells me yes this is the size you need, the labeling on the package is rather confusing so it’s easy enough to understand why he thought it was the correct size even though it wasn’t , from my experience it was pretty easy to see I needed the bigger file 7/32 that happened to be sold out, he took my phone number and told me he would call when they came in, that was 2 or 3 years ago and so far no one has called.

Welcome to the modern shopping experience.

Time was when you wanted something or parts for it you went to the store and whomever waited on you was helpful and knowledgeable and you could take them at their word. Today,that's not always the case.Some of it is because the chain stores don't pay their people that well so the smart ones move on to where the good jobs are.That is unless you find a retired person working to supplement income and has had some experience in the field you're in.
The smaller independent dealers or local hardware and farmer's co ops are are more likely to give you the best advice and service.
To repeat what others have said,this is a great place to ask for information.You may,sometimes,get a more in depth answer than what you were looking for but I'd rather have that than a quick answer which doesn't amount to more than a simple answer. The generic,quick response doesn't explain why and doesn't let me learn any more.
A few words of advice for someone new to saws:
1/ Take your time and learn all you can about techniques and safety.
2/ Buy yourself some saw chaps,safety glasses and hearing protection at a minimum. I know you've seen pictures of people running saws in shorts and sandals without a care but you don't have to pay their ER bill,either.
3/You don't need "racing grade" saws and equipment to start with.Later ,if you want.
4/ Don't skimp on essentials,either. Use good 2 stroke mix in your fuel,buy a decent quality grade of hand tools like axes and use a good bar oil.
5/Take care of yourself and your equipment and both will last a lot longer.If something looks too dangerous to try,it probably is.Ask someone who knows what they are doing to help you or do it for you.

That is by far the best all around stated comment I have ever read on this site.

When those Stihl 2 in one files first came out I wanted to buy one, stopped at a local Stihl dealer and they only had the smaller size on the rack so asked a sales person if they had any the size needed for the 3/8 chain on my 562, so he looks at the rack and tells me yes this is the size you need, the labeling on the package is rather confusing so it’s easy enough to understand why he thought it was the correct size even though it wasn’t , from my experience it was pretty easy to see I needed the bigger file 7/32 that happened to be sold out, he took my phone number and told me he would call when they came in, that was 2 or 3 years ago and so far no one has called.

Hahaha lol oh that's great. Not funny on ur part but gave me a laugh at the end

Screenshot_20191227-082552_YouTube.jpg

Another off topic question so I don't have to fill this site with 30 New Threads to go through. I watched a video on a guy who ran the exact same kind of saw the ms 261 and each one went from Brand New Stock to down the list had each one of these Mods done to them and the last one that had all of the Mods done to it Cut 40% faster than the Stock New Saw that I have bought. So I was thinking about doing this to my saw. Question is with me not knowing much about saws besides what I have learned in the last 3 weeks owning this one. ARE THESE MODS ABLE TO BE DONE AT HOME BY ME OR ARE THESE SOMETHING I NEED TO FIND A PROFESSIONAL AND PAY HIM TO DO THESE ALL TO MY SAW? WHAT WOULD YOU SAY WOULD BE THE BEST OPTION? IF YOU THINK PRO ABOUT HOW MUCH DOES ALL THESE RUN TO HAVE DONE? My saw has the M-Tronic carb on it as well so idk if that stops something's from being able to be done to it since it tunes itself or not?

They suggest 3/16 for 325, but I use 7/32 because the smaller file creates a hook. Maybe the smaller file is better in a jig.
A 13/64” may even better for 325 freehand.

You CAN do all those mods but you better research and figure it out. Me personally I’ll only do a muffler mod and slang thing else gets sent out

Latest posts

Back