poulan 36cc vs 42cc epa sticker cylinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the right side of the pic I attached, there are two things I believe are called circlips? I'm not sure, but if I have a 36cc poulan I'm upgrading to 42cc do I need to have these replaced as well? What are they for?
That cylinder will not fit a Poulan 2050, it is a later "strato" engine. The part number for a PP260 cylinder is 530069720.

Strato 2 stroke cylinders use different porting to delay the arrival of fuel into the cylinder, which reduces the loss of unburned fuel out the open exhaust port. That can't be done with simple "open" transfer runners, so those pieces were a rather clever way to close off the transfer runners without a more expensive "closed" casting. None of that is relevant for your engine though.

That cylinder will not fit a Poulan 2050, it is a later "strato" engine. The part number for a PP260 cylinder is 530069720.

Strato 2 stroke cylinders use different porting to delay the arrival of fuel into the cylinder, which reduces the loss of unburned fuel out the open exhaust port. That can't be done with simple "open" transfer runners, so those pieces were a rather clever way to close off the transfer runners without a more expensive "closed" casting. None of that is relevant for your engine though.

Not the cylinder itself just those two things on the right. They slide into pockets on either side of the cylinder and I think the crankshaft rides on it or something. I just used this as an example because it was the best picture I could find without knowing what those pieces are actually called.

As mentioned above, those things are the covers that slide into the slots in the cylinder to close off the open transfer passages.

Do these usually come with cylinder kits? If not, would they be different from 36cc to 42cc?

Glad I saw this thread - I have a 'barn find' poulan 2450 that was given to me. The fuel lines were broken away and also the primer bulb, after fixing those it will start and run if you give it gas, but will not hold an idle after letting go of the throttle. I tried to set the high, low, and idle screws to fix it, but I could not get it to idle. So I suspected an air leak, took the carb holder off, the gasket looked okay, took the engine out, I have a suspicion about one of the main seals. Looks like some rubber is gone. Also the piston and cylinder have two streaks of scuffing on them. I saw an aftermarket piston and cylinder kit on ebay for less than $20. Do those things work? Also I'm wondering if I just put it back together with new seals will it then work even with the scuffing.
This is not a saw I need to get working or anything, just trying to learn a few things and see if it will run again.

Do these usually come with cylinder kits? If not, would they be different from 36cc to 42cc?
If you buy a cylinder kit it comes with a new cylinder, matching piston with rings, new wrist pin and new circlips. I would not try to buy any of these items separately from China and hope that they would match existing ones. You are safe with a kit as all these saws from 33cc to 42cc use the same crankcase, crankshaft, connecting rod, carb and muffler.

Glad I saw this thread - I have a 'barn find' poulan 2450 that was given to me. The fuel lines were broken away and also the primer bulb, after fixing those it will start and run if you give it gas, but will not hold an idle after letting go of the throttle. I tried to set the high, low, and idle screws to fix it, but I could not get it to idle. So I suspected an air leak, took the carb holder off, the gasket looked okay, took the engine out, I have a suspicion about one of the main seals. Looks like some rubber is gone. Also the piston and cylinder have two streaks of scuffing on them. I saw an aftermarket piston and cylinder kit on ebay for less than $20. Do those things work? Also I'm wondering if I just put it back together with new seals will it then work even with the scuffing.
This is not a saw I need to get working or anything, just trying to learn a few things and see if it will run again.
It depends on what you mean by "scuffing". If the rings are free and there are minor scratches on the piston that do not go through the rings, the piston can probably be cleaned up and run fine. Serious deep scratches on the exhaust side of the cylinder that are on the area of the cylinder swept by the rings are the usual damage that cannot be repaired depending on how severe they are. A compression test with a gauge that is meant for small engines will determine how healthy the engine is. If it is 120psi or higher it should run (not like new) and give a few more hours, if it is less then 100psi, it might not even start, especially when it is hot. It is never a good idea to throw new parts at one of these cheap saws until you know what is wrong with. There is a simple pressure/vacuum test to determine if there is a leak in the crankcase, lots of threads on this forum to explain. These engines are known as "clamshell" engines and they use a combines seal and bearing assembly so they are not cheap but they rarely have to be replaced because the saws don't normally last long enough to wear them out. When reassembling one of these, the seals must be relocated in exactly the same position and a sealing compound used on the seals and crankcase halves. If it starts and runs at high speed there is a good chance that all it needs is a careful cleaning of the carb, a new carb kit and an understanding of how to properly adjust the carb.

As I mentioned above they are only for the later stratos. They come with the cylinder. There are no 36cc versions of them because all the startos are the same 42cc engine, regardless of branding or model number.

Back