Advice Needed: Chainsaw for an older woman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave my mother inlaw, aged "Cough" late 70s, a 180 with easy start and tool less chain adjuster.
she can start it, and light enough to handle, 16" bar.
I'd NEVER give my mother in law a saw. It'd be a waste of money. She'd give the saw to brother in law, who is a hoarder, and not inclined to think ahead.
Here is mother in law:
This pic makes her look sweeter than she really is:IMG_20190523_071143.jpg

The used ms250's I see advertised are overpriced for what they are. And a person would be a fool to buy one new for the price when several much better options exist for the same or even less money.

Mho
I think they are one of the best deals out there, new. A couple or few days work on the side can easily fund the purchase price and the resale price is excellent. Lets not exaggerate foolishness.

Cautions about the 025 and 028: For some reason the 025 is very difficult to pull start. Don't ask me why because I have no idea. But if you search the archives , this comes up again and again. The 028 is a good saw, but the last time I tried to cut with an 025, it wouldn't start (carb trouble), so I grabbed my 028. It started fine, but felt like it weighed a ton compared to the 025.
Admittedly anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.
Every 025 i have owned and used (several) started good.Newer versions with EZ start if compression is to much. As a matter of fact never had a major problem other then 1 was stolen. Lost track how many i used and resold. I bought a few or more with problems but ecpect most was due to operator neglect .

My 025 is also hard to pull for a saw it's size. It feels like it's got high compression. When I searched and asked here others reported the same thing. It was jacking up my shoulder so I bought a MS241CM. That is much easier to start than the 025. But the easiest starting saw I own is an Echo CS352. It's super easy to pull and it fires right up. It'll handle a 16" bar though it will not cut as fast with it as the 241. I use it for brush.

I think battery powered chainsaws have their place, but cutting 8 cords of 10-12" trees annually into firewood isn't working to their strength.
Cutting like this puts a long and high current load on the battery which shortens it lifespan, and a replacement AP300 battery for the MSA 200 saw has a MSRP of just under $200.
If the lithium chemistry battery failure mode is anything like those I've experienced over the years with hand tools, it works until it doesn't. Then you plug it into the charger it gives you the battery failure prompt and it becomes a brick.

If money is an issue and there is a local Echo dealer, I’d look at an Echo 490 with an 18” bar.

If you can afford it and there is a Stihl dealer close by, I’d recommend a 261C.

If money is tight, look at a Stihl 250. It’ll ruin the same price as the Echo 490. The Echo however is a better built saw than the 250.

I'd NEVER give my mother in law a saw. It'd be a waste of money. She'd give the saw to brother in law, who is a hoarder, and not inclined to think ahead.
Here is mother in law:
This pic makes her look sweeter than she really is:View attachment 783393
LOL
I am fortunate that my mother in law is not too bad, and wouldnt do that, tho its taken a while for her to realise I know what I am talking about re saws :), she went to a chainsaw class a while back, and I think she learned enough to be dangerous, then learned a bit more to realise she didnt quite know as much as she thought.

happens to all of us I guess :)

I think battery powered chainsaws have their place, but cutting 8 cords of 10-12" trees annually into firewood isn't working to their strength.
Cutting like this puts a long and high current load on the battery which shortens it lifespan, and a replacement AP300 battery for the MSA 200 saw has a MSRP of just under $200.
If the lithium chemistry battery failure mode is anything like those I've experienced over the years with hand tools, it works until it doesn't. Then you plug it into the charger it gives you the battery failure prompt and it becomes a brick.

I watched a video from Outdoors with the Morgans, and the MSA200 cut about a third of a cord of oak and cherry on a charge. That seemed pretty decent.

If you can afford it and there is a Stihl dealer close by, I’d recommend a 261C.

If money is tight, look at a Stihl 250. It’ll ruin the same price as the Echo 490. The Echo however is a better built saw than the 250.

I haven't liked my MS250. In all honesty, if she's not looking for a battery powered saw, if she can find a MS200 or MS201 for herself, then a MS261 for her son, that would probable do all she and her son needs. Then there's a spare saw to cut a stuck saw loose with.

I agree, but I’m guessing that most of the cutting will end up being done by her son. So I’d be thinking a gas saw for him, but a battery saw for her as I would think a gas saw might become difficult for her to start in the future.

I think they are one of the best deals out there, new. A couple or few days work on the side can easily fund the purchase price and the resale price is excellent. Lets not exaggerate foolishness.

i think they are about $460.00 here. People ask 300 or more used.

that is far from a good deal. Better saws can be had for quite a bit less.

Some of yous that haven’t run the 4300/421/420 and compared to the ms250 should do that.

the ms250 is overpriced by quite a bit, IMO, especially when there are better available for less money from Echo and Makita.

Edit; I just recalled that both ms250’s I have run required quite a pull to start. My Dolmar 420 requires almost no pull at all.

anyway...

Some of yous that haven’t run the 4300/421/420 and compared to the ms250 should do that.

the ms250 is overpriced by quite a bit, IMO, especially when there are better available for less money from Echo and Makita.

Edit; I just recalled that both ms250’s I have run required quite a pull to start. My Dolmar 420 requires almost no pull at all.

anyway...
I would like to try 1 out if i could find a deal i like on 1. I've watched for them but haven,t pressed into getting 1 because i am not lacking in good quality 40 to 50cc saws that do every thing i need reliably. My current fleet I pick from for my chainsaw work 40 to 50cc are an muffler modded 025 (ms250's original #), a ported 026,023,Echo cs490, cs400 and an Efco mt4000 . I have found good to excellent deals on all of them without a great amount of effort. If a likable deal comes that easy on a dolmar/makita of 1 of those models i am game. Seldom do i buy new unless its dirt cheap. The cs490 was 25 or 35% off. Looks like its made better then the stihls or efco but so far it hasn't impressed me any way to want to use it in any one of thems stead, which was originally my plan was for it to be a primary and make use of the warranty if needed.
My favorite most of the time is the 025 unless i need the extra power of the 026 or if the saw is in a high risk situation a cheaper saw big enough to do the job.
The 025 i expect is probably +20 years. Its been in my main line up about 5 or more years replacing a stolen 025 i forget how many years i used. Before that i often worked with a state tree nursey owned 025 they had for years prior to my employment of 10 years with them. Most often i had prison inmate for a helper and i mostly used bigger saws and an inmate would get to use the 025. 10 years with that already used saw i only remember replacing chains, bar probably a sprocket or 2.
So the crankcase is plastic vs magnesium, doesn't seem to be a problem here in IN, usa. Will the colder temps in Canada and AK be different enough the crankcases need to be magnesium to last?
I personally know 2 people that were starting and using stihl EZ starts up to 90 years old and facing death from health failure. By the way the echo cs400 starts, nice, smooth and easy but when your shoulder is not working well , mines been there and has been far off 100% for 20+ years ,sometimes more,sometimes less any way i don't think you will beat the EZ start for a lame or weakened limb or shoulder without building a better easy start or going electric.

IMHO - this is the one to get!
Dolmar 420/421 - - - Makita EA4300 . . . same saws!

Easiest starting near pro level saw, that can cut 10"-14" wood all day long for years for cheap.

I have ran a neighbours Stihl MS250 with the spring start assist and it's not as good a saw as this little Makita EA4300/Dolmar 421.

If mom wants to also ever run the saw then this Makita EA4300/Dolmar 421 is the one to get - EASY EASY EASY to start. Fast, well built, mag case, powerful, fun, inexpensive little saw. Cuts 8 cords a year 10 to 14" wood no problem.

However, if the son will only ever be running the saw, then any decent 50cc+ will work and finish the work just a tiny bit faster.

IMH0 i think your daughter could start my neighbors ms250 ezstart easiar.
I am not trying to knock the dolmar. Dolmar has been 1 of my favorite brands since i was introduced to sachs dolmar in the 1980's. I don't even know of any makita dolmar dealers anywhere at this time, was 1 25miles from here but last time i was there i think he was down to 2 saws and quitting them. Couple others didn't last long.
Sounds like it runs good but so did every well tuned 025 or ms250 i run. So where do i buy 1 of these cheapish compared to the ms 250. Last i looked good looking 025's seemed to be going about $175, If they were an ms250,about 50 to $75 more in similar condition.

Hi :) i’d recommend getting an ms 180, it will do everything you’ll need. It’s a waste of power and money and of course will add much more weight getting the ms 260 or 290. The MS 180 with EZ start will be the perfect saw for your needs. Watch some YouTube videos of it (or the 170), but I suggest the 180.

Latest posts

Back