What is your favorite all around Stihl chainsaw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah true that about the computer. My logging saws 5/6000 ft want to explode at my sub 1000' house. That IS the number one reason the 661 is lucky enough to stay around. I also like it on the landing cus it may need a trigger start but doing that it fires first pull. It randomly dies at Wot and sometimes swinging it around lopping like a madman or tossing it wading in brush. The falling carb saws fire first pull warm but don't the on off sit for fifteen min sometimes needing the choke. But never stall no matter how crazy I swing um or brush toss em.
462 with a 20 would be pretty ripper. Does it spin 8 pin that way?

I don't have an 034S, but I have a MOFO ported 360, I also have 2 ported Hybrids, and my CFB hybrid won the NYS GTG 77 cc competition against other ported Hybrids and 460s, and I have numerous ported 660s that I like for milling and noodling big wood.

But for best all around with a 20" bar, I'll take the 462. That said, all of the above, and my 044 are all real darn nice saws and they all get used. My MMWS 261 Ver II also sees a lot of run time with a 18" B+C. It is a great limbing/light bucking saw and is refreshingly lighter than the other saws listed.

When you change elevations, temp, etc. and you just want to pull out a saw and use it, you start to appreciate the computer controlled saws.

I would have to say my MS290 just because I have many hours of time/years running it, 16” bar and simple muffler mod re-tune. I’ve since acquired 5 used pro grade saws that have sidelined the 290. Of them I believe my 461C is going to be my go to favorite once I get more hours on it.

I haven’t used many saws, but I really enjoy the 180 because it’s so light, yet with the thin chain, a capable saw. The 260 I have just rebuilt rips through firewood effortlessly which is fun - I can see why so many enjoy this model.

Not a fan of the 362’s AV, it feels so spongy, drives me nuts. You pick it up and the thing bends like a spring, left right and centre...

Chain speed is a good thing. Raker raking and spinning faster are different. But both do keep you cutting longer.
Part of what I like about my .404 setup is that the 7pin 404 is between 7&8 3/8th

I cut all hardwoods, so I like to keep a 7 pin on them. I even keep 7 pin on the 90+ cc saws because I use them for milling. You can always just drop the rakers a bit more instead of going to an 8 pin, less bar friction!

The MS 461. Why? Pulls a long enough bar to be a great faller’s saw, light enough to hike in with and be easily flickable in the brush. Probably not my first choice for bucking with a longer bar. AV is actually really good for rubber mounts. My only gripe is that it’s not M-Tronic and I have to adjust the carburetor whenever I change elevation.

The MS 441 is another contender, as would be the 460 and 440. For the same reasons as above, the 461 just does it best of those. When I get to run a 500i choices may change.

Latest posts

Back