55 Rancher Chain Tensioner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven1955

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

You guys helped me fix my 55 Rancher in the past, so now that I need help here I am again. Here are the specifics:

Model: Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Code on tag top line: 967 05 29.00
Code on tag bottom line: 02 2301618

The saw still runs great. The issue this time is that the bar chain tensioner screw fell out while cutting up a tree for firewood. With a magnet I was able to find the adjuster screw in a pile of chips, and the pawl was still in the saw. The plastic "nut" was missing, so I purchased a new nut (part number 501452702), and theoretically it should go right back together.

The problem is that I can't remember how it goes together. I've scoured the internet looking for pictures or videos showing the tensioner, but have found nothing, and the exploded parts diagrams aren't as useful as I would like.

Anyone got a closeup picture?

Barring that, maybe someone could answer a question about the plastic nut. The nut I got is unthreaded, so seems like it should just slide over the tip of the screw. Am I supposed the thread it onto the screw until it reaches the unthreaded shoulder of the screw?

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can give me.

Not sure if it is the same, but here is pic of my sons 455 Rancher.

Attachments

• 4E03AD11-D6BD-4550-99D9-CCAF1F783DEA.jpeg
    4E03AD11-D6BD-4550-99D9-CCAF1F783DEA.jpeg
    801.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 9BB5FE14-9DB1-4271-AE83-6CDD7CE1A191.jpeg
    9BB5FE14-9DB1-4271-AE83-6CDD7CE1A191.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
After seeing this I had to go look.
Quote- Am I supposed the thread it onto the screw until it reaches the unthreaded shoulder of the screw?

I don't see any other way.
BUTTT, I also do not see how the tension screw can "fall out" unless it unthreads from the pawl.
Buttt again lol. None of mine are named Rancher and may differ.
If all else, buy a complete tension adjuster.

If mine I'd consider nothing to lose threading it on.
I might warm it up.
Some of mine are missing the keeper (plastic?), I learned something here.

Ok. Last time I did this was over 30 years ago.
Remove the clutch & drum.
Undo the screw and remove the cover plate over the oil pump and bar pad.
As I remember it, the adjusting screw has a narrow section just below the head. If so, put the pawl and the neoprene "nut" on its right, into the groove. Hold them against the right side of the slot with a screwdriver blade. Then push the adjuster screw through the nut and start screwing it into the threaded pawl (you can remove the flat screwdriver blade now). Keep turning until the pawl has pushed the neoprene nut all the way along the threaded portion and into the groove near the head. Now turn the adjuster anticlockwise so that the pawl moves to where you want it, making sure the nut stays in its groove.

Huskvarna hotellgäst had it right. The plastic "nut", which appears to be nylon, is unthreaded. You have to force it over the adjuster screw's threads until it sits in a groove just under the screw's head.

I screwed the screw into the plastic nut, the screw kind of cutting its own threads, until the nut passed over the threads and the nut just popped into the adjuster screw's groove.

It looks to me like these nuts get brittle with heat and time and finally split and fall out. They don't seem to be absolutely required, but in my case it would have retained the adjuster screw instead of letting it unscrew due to vibration and fall. out.

Back