New 60 and 70cc saw opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking to possibly buying a new 60-70cc saw in the future. With saws like the 572 and 462 available I would like to hear some opinions of some new saws available. Just got the itch for a new saw that I've not yet owned I guess.

Looking to possibly buying a new 60-70cc saw in the future. With saws like the 572 and 462 available I would like to hear some opinions of some new saws available. Just got the itch for a new saw that I've not yet owned I guess.
While I dont have the most experience on this site, I have been blown away with the power of my 562XP. It put my 034 Super and MS390 to shame.

Own a 572 ran a 462 for about a tank. The 462 feels more like a 60cc saw than a 70cc, yet it seems to have a little more power than the 572, and with a lightweight 28" bar balance seems fine. The 572 is a tank compared to the 462, seems like it would hold up to more abuse, balances well with a lightweight 32" bar, good torque. I will guess the 572 will be better liked out west with longer bars, as the AV and balance is probably better suited for that. For the average guy the 462 will likely be a better fit because of the weigh, does cost more though. That all said I still prefer the 7900 and 372, both are simple and reliable, so I see no clear advantage with the new models, other than like you said, to give something new a try.

MS461R
3072c04bb73ac33d373031b021d50ea6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Own a 572 ran a 462 for about a tank. The 462 feels more like a 60cc saw than a 70cc, yet it seems to have a little more power than the 572, and with a lightweight 28" bar balance seems fine. The 572 is a tank compared to the 462, seems like it would hold up to more abuse, balances well with a lightweight 32" bar, good torque. I will guess the 572 will be better liked out west with longer bars, as the AV and balance is probably better suited for that. For the average guy the 462 will likely be a better fit because of the weigh, does cost more though. That all said I still prefer the 7900 and 372, both are simple and reliable, so I see no clear advantage with the new models, other than like you said, to give something new a try.

As you said...give something new a try and that's what I'm after. Pretty much have owned and ran most other saws. The 462 power to weight just seems impressive reading specs. How did it compare power wise to you as say the 7900 and 460. My 460's in the past with mm's always ran good and had no problem running the 24-32" bars. 79's were runners also.

While I dont have the most experience on this site, I have been blown away with the power of my 562XP. It put my 034 Super and MS390 to shame.

My 562 was a good runner with the mm and timing advance. It seemed to lack a little on the torque side. Wasn't to hard to stop the chain with 24" full skip buried. But then again it is a 60cc saw. It had the work done to it before I owned it by Carl. I was probably just asking a bit much from it.

the 572xp is a good saw, recommended, 462 seems to rate well also ..don't forget about the 7900/ 372xt / or the ms461 series of saws

The 462 is a great 20-24” firewood saw. It has more peak horsepower and torque than a 572, but the 572 has a wider RPM range that it makes respectable power in. In other words, there’s more area under the 572’s torque curve then there is under a 462. 462 is quicker, 572 is more forgiving.
The 7900 and 046 have torque characteristics more like the 572, but from what I’ve seen, they’re faster ported and stock than a 572. But I’m sure the 572 is more economical on fuel

My dealer sold 4 or 5 572's when they came out. All but one came back to the shop within a few weeks. One was toasted (top end if I recall.) Husqy is trying to screw him saying he did something wrong. Haven't heard an update from the last time I was in-store just under a month ago.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any new-model saw for at least a year or two until the bugs are worked out. I can't afford, time- or money-wise, to be a guinea pig for any company. Get your s**t straight before you put it on the market.

The 462 is a great 20-24” firewood saw. It has more peak horsepower and torque than a 572, but the 572 has a wider RPM range that it makes respectable power in. In other words, there’s more area under the 572’s torque curve then there is under a 462. 462 is quicker, 572 is more forgiving.
The 7900 and 046 have torque characteristics more like the 572, but from what I’ve seen, they’re faster ported and stock than a 572. But I’m sure the 572 is more economical on fuel

So this new saw has nothing on the older saws except fuel mileage? At least the 462 is lighter from what I have read. I may be leaning towards the stihl.

So this new saw has nothing on the older saws except fuel mileage? At least the 462 is lighter from what I have read. I may be leaning towards the stihl.
The 572 is very smooth. It is a little bit heavier than the 372, which I think also helps the smoothness.
If you were going to run a 20 or 24 inch bar, I’d go with the 462. If the brand doesn’t matter, and I was going to run above a 28 inch bar on it I’d go with the 572

If you’re going to get them ported, the old-school stuff comes out stronger. At least that’s what we found

As you said...give something new a try and that's what I'm after. Pretty much have owned and ran most other saws. The 462 power to weight just seems impressive reading specs. How did it compare power wise to you as say the 7900 and 460. My 460's in the past with mm's always ran good and had no problem running the 24-32" bars. 79's were runners also.

I would say bone stock the 461 will be a little ahead of a 460, but after a MM the torque of a 460 be too much for a 462. The 7900 is well ahead of a 462, I'd saw it would take porting to get the 462 to or past a stock 7900. The big thing the 462 has is power to weight.

My dealer sold 4 or 5 572's when they came out. All but one came back to the shop within a few weeks. One was toasted (top end if I recall.) Husqy is trying to screw him saying he did something wrong. Haven't heard an update from the last time I was in-store just under a month ago.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any new-model saw for at least a year or two until the bugs are worked out. I can't afford, time- or money-wise, to be a guinea pig for any company. Get your s**t straight before you put it on the market.

This is the first report of something like this, in fact all the reports here and elsewhere have been the total opposite, unlike the 550 and 562 they went down in flames on day one.

Weight and smoothness, other than that nothing groundbreaking, well the MSRP is pretty shocking compared to when i first got into firewood cutting and buying saws.:cheers:

This is the first report of something like this, in fact all the reports here and elsewhere have been the total opposite, unlike the 550 and 562 they went down in flames on day one.

I don't know what to tell you. My dealer has no incentive to lie about these things, as that would cut into his profits both on the sale of the saw (not much profit margin) and subsequent repairs and accessories (profit margin.)

I don't know what to tell you. My dealer has no incentive to lie about these things, as that would cut into his profits both on the sale of the saw (not much profit margin) and subsequent repairs and accessories (profit margin.)
What's that dealers name. Local dealer has sold pallets of them with very few returned. Some straight gas them and that saw went bad, I do not know what happened. I have one, tree service friend has 3 with no issues. By the way you should change your name to HumBummer, several saw your post in 371xpg listing, really?

I'll confirm with him details first before I post that up. It's always possible his mechanics found operator error causing failure. I do know, for a fact, that all but one of the first batch he sold came back to the shop within weeks.

Doesn't bother me what people saw. If folks here are so fragile that asking questions about a saw offends, then I should probably depart from this community. I'm not here to make friends but to learn :shrug:

Latest posts

Back