stihl saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Gillett

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need to up grade my mill saw to a bigger cc. There is a stihl MS660 for sale, Guy said it needs new upper
cylinder and wants $550.00. Is this to much to pay and if so what would be a good asking price?

Lester

$550 needing rebuilt is nuts. $200 tops for me. He says it needs a cylinder but it could need a lot more. There's a reason the cylinder is wrecked, and you'll need to find it the cause or you'll be right back to square one.

Personally I'd post a wanted ad for a 395xp on here and see what shows up. I'd much rather buy from someone reputable on here than from Craigslist.

$550 is a decent price for a solid 660 in 100% working order. hes delusional. not to mention that a 660 is not at all an ideal milling machine (inboard clutch, piss poor air filtration and wimpy oiler). as ryan said above, go on lookout for a decent 395.

Would still like to stay with Stihl saw as that what we have on our mill. Just need a bigger saw as we are running a 460 and 42"
bar. works ok just slow.

Yes i clean the filter after each cut and add more oil and gas too. We have a extra oiler on the end of the bar
with a quart bottle. Have not had any trouble so far but i have 8 more white oaks in the 36" size to mill. Just
don't what to hurt this 460 as its been a good saw.

what kind of hogs in ur avatar ryan? a good friend has a herd of mangalitsa’s, some crossed with another breed i cant recall. fun critters

Hey Custer, the ones in my avatar were the ones we did this year. We just buy weiners in the spring and bring them in after apple season wraps up. Supposedly Duroc, Hereford, Berkshire crosses. Mostly we just get what's available. We did run some Mangalitsa/red wattles last year, but honestly I'll try to stay away from any lard breed like the Mangalitsas in the future. Just too much fat around the meat. The bacon was ridiculous; mostly white and cooked down to nothing.

As it happens though, I just so happen to have a picture of those hogs last year AND A HUSKY 395! What're the chances?!IMG_20180901_182247_compress12.jpg

Thanks guys for all the information. Been looking on sales in my area and most are in the 500 to 700 dollar
range. Some are rebuilt with after market parts and not sure i like that idea. When i get ready to buy i will
add a want to buy here. I can rebuild so may be buy just the power head that needs work. Again thanks.

but honestly I'll try to stay away from any lard breed like the Mangalitsas in the future. Just too much fat around the meat. The bacon was ridiculous; mostly white and cooked down to nothing.
ive certainly noticed that. they seem to have good personality. was helping him build a winter shelter last week and one of em just about knocked me over. i was slightly alarmed at a 300+ lb pig plowing into me until i realized it was just trying to get a good backscratch on my leg lol. good times.

Back