Titan 40 Question: Compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorgerider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello:

My first saw was an old Titan 40 and I've been looking around the net for a replacement to play with. What I don't know is what good/decent cylinder compression should look like. If any of you folks have an idea, thanks in advance for some info.

GR

Seller is stating he's getting 75psi. I may have to walk on this one. In addition to that, he states there is no spark (maybe plug, wire, or coil). Lives on the pacific coast, so it could also be corrosion.

Seller is stating he's getting 75psi. I may have to walk on this one. In addition to that, he states there is no spark (maybe plug, wire, or coil). Lives on the pacific coast, so it could also be corrosion.
Well he could also be testing it wrong, a lot of people don't know how to test compression or make errors when they do test it. You have to hold the throttle wide open and give many pulls or many cranks to get a true reading, among other things depending on circumstances.

If you get it cheap, I think there are top end kits on eBay. I have an eager beaver 2.3/power mac 380 and they may be the same. Mine are definitely italian

compression can come up some if it has bean sitting and the cylinder is dry dry dry there is no oil to help seal the rings. I don’t like going by compression on saws I always want a muff off pic lol

Back