King Kutter XB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone using a King Kutter XB dump trailer? I'm looking for a new wood trailer for my wood lot and found a couple of these for sale locally. Seem pretty pricey even used (1100.00). I would be pulling w/ ATV or 3600 Kubota.

Whatever you get will be a huge improvement.
Not familiar with that particular brand. The one we bought eleven years ago is about the same size at 4'x6', and one of the most used tools we have. The King Kutter looks to have a longer tongue which could make backing much easier. The height is comfortable for minimal back bending when loading/unloading. The payload is pleasingly useable. I'm sure I've come close to or exceeded the 2,000 pound rating a time or two when hauling oak rounds. With a trailer of this size, trailer brakes may be a considerable factor in your choice. Our trailer has electric brakes on one axle but I've never really noticed them in use with our flat ground. I did not find any mention of brakes on the King Kutter. Our quad is under six hundred pounds, and the foot print per square inch would be pretty light for controlling a loaded trailer on a slope.
Another possible option is a four wheel nursery wagon. The thing with that is it doesn't follow like a tandem axle, and I can't back it up more than ten feet on a really good day. The Kory 3000 we have does not have brakes either. The deck is 4'x8' and the payload is 3,000 pounds. Both trailers have wheel bearings and substantial tires, which of course, is more expensive initially, and arguably less expensive in the long run. As I said previously, our trailer is elven years old, and the replacement cost is now double or more the initial $1,100. purchase price.
I added a tongue jack early on, and recently replaced all the wiring, and the brake backing plate assembly. I bought new drums for the brake axle but they did not fit due to the off set in the new hubs for the bearing placement and the castle nut would not screw on far enough for the cotter key. The Thule has an electric actuator used for dumping. The wiring can be, and has been a maintenance issue. For several years the in frame wiring, and quad to trailer connector plugs chaffed and failed. The hydraulic hand pump on the King Kutter may be more reliable long term.
The tandem axle has a fairly small foot print. We back it in the garage once winter sets in, to stage a weeks worth of wood for the wood stove (5th photo).
An after thought is the tailgate. Ours has spring loaded pins top and bottom, which makes it easily removable for dumping, and equally convenient to unpin the top and hang it down when loading heavy items like rounds.
IMG_3668.jpg IMG_8101.jpg 1014101348a.jpg IMG_2690.jpg 0203102159.jpg 1031091512.jpg IMG_5045.jpg IMG_4003.jpg

The King Kutter XB trailer looks nice, but it is pricey. I've had good luck getting used off road trailers in the 4x6-4x8 size range.

This Supertilt is 4x6 and I only paid $350 for it

This trailer I made. Approx. 3.5'x6'. Only thing I bought new was the axle. Tires are used, steel was used, wood I had laying around.

This Country Manufacturing trailer needed new sides and the walking beam cross members were bent from being overloaded with sheep manure from the previous owner, but I got it for $250, and for less than $100, got it back up and working. The bed was originally 38"x7', I made it 4'x7.5'.

Lastly, this was an old boat trailer I converted into a utility trailer. Trailer was free, and I spent maybe another $50-$60 on some extra steel and wood. Its 42"x7'.

Point is small trailers like these are a dime a dozen. I'd have a hard time spending alot of money for one. With the exception of the boat trailer, all the ones I pictured can dump.

Nice Trailers gents thanks for sharing. I was thinking the same thing that the KK is awfully pricey especially used. My 4x6 utility trailer has been overloaded and abused for the past 20yrs and I just keep welding and fixing. Think I just need to rebuild completely or like I see above find one that dumps and rebuild.

Sirbuildalot and bowtechmadman:
Wish I had the skills and tools to work with metal. I'm just not a welder, or much of a fixer. Would have saved a lot of money over the years of doing firewood. Doing maintenance on the Thule wiring was quite a challenge for me as it was, but I was motivated because I'm splitting logs I've had for a year and the bark falls off. It makes for great firewood, and also quite a mess in a hurry. Bark is the one thing that is difficult to unload without a dump.
Having multiple trailers to use would certainly be a plus at times.
I rationalize the initial cost of good equipment in terms of being able to putting it to use now, and for long term. The back side of that is delaying an expensive purchase or in some cases, resolve to make payments.
If I was younger an investment in metal working tools would be fun and more practical. Prior to doing firewood, I had little need of them.
I would still like to self propel the SuperSplit, but it makes more sense to seek out a compact tractor with fel to move it, and a compact tractor can be used for snow removal, mowing, towing, andmany more things.
As you can see there is no rational cost comparison there, and... I might have difficulty making decisions.

Latest posts

Back