Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well..bugger it. Changed oil in the splitter yesterday, running fine, did my two loads of big rounds. This morning fired it up, split half a load of rounds and motor slowed way down smoking badly. Shut it down. Now WTF?. Close examination showed that some A-hole had left the dipstick out of the hole and motor now froze up.

Off to North 40 or Home Depot in the morning for a new splitter. Not much more than the cost of a new motor and shop time to install it and I need it NOW.
Harbor Freight Predator engines are decent, a 6.5hp can be had for $100 on sale.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Too windy for me to feel comfortable working in the woods yesterday so I thought I would make some pine noodles for the chickens. A soon as I started the first cut it was clear that it was too windy for that also (noodles were blowing all over down range.) Well, now I have the saw all fueled up and nowhere to go. Looked around and eyed a pile of the unsplittables from the white oak score this summer. Didn't get through all of them, but have a nice little pile that can start seasoning properly now.20191230_163508.jpg

I did note that oak noodles clear the clutch cover much easier than pine noodles.

Harbor Freight Predator engines are decent, a 6.5hp can be had for $100 on sale.

I just installed a Predator on my DR RapidFire Pro-XL (SuperSplit knockoff) this weekend. Nice little motor. Direct fit. Quieter than the 6 HP Subaru SP 170 that was puffing smoke every 30min or so.

I just installed a Predator on my DR RapidFire Pro-XL (SuperSplit knockoff) this weekend. Nice little motor. Direct fit. Quieter than the 6 HP Subaru SP 170 that was puffing smoke every 30min or so.
I installed a 6.5hp on my daughter's go-kart...runs like a champ and is holding up well to that high vibration/jarring.

Happy New Years everyone.
Feels like it wasn’t that long ago that I was thinking what would the world be like in the year 2000 and how old would I be by then. We just sailed straight through it ........2020 wow!
Yes it doesn't seem that long ago that the world was going to end in Y2K.:laugh:

New Year’s Eve, 42c (108f) here in Sydney.
Anyone like to swap some of our heat for your cold!

Hey Jeff, we finally had a cool change go through here yesterday and last night was a bit on the cool side at our local outdoor gig, down to 12°C this morning. Heating up again though, expecting up to 43°C by the weekend.

Had some pretty bad fires yesterday and the day before where my parents live in a little town down near the coast. My brother and his two kids are down there as well for the week as well. In the feral conditions the fire front made it to within a couple of kms and a spot fire started at the end of their street :nofunny: . As my brother rather dryly put it, the wind change (with the cold front) arrived at a very good time. No-one was killed in the town and surrounds but a fair bit of property damage. Some people not so lucky in some of the other fires, unfortunately.

I had puddles under the snow here. The "nice March" weather can quit anytime. 4 hours pushing my driveway and I'm just hoping no one in a car uses the south side until it freezes over.
That was last Easter weekend, was out on the sled the day before. Sometimes ya park it where ya park it
Whats this driveway thing your talking bout?51CDD557-3462-465E-B1D8-6AED9DBCD8CE.jpeg

Hey Jeff, we finally had a cool change go through here yesterday and last night was a bit on the cool side at our local outdoor gig, down to 12°C this morning. Heating up again though, expecting up to 43°C by the weekend.

Had some pretty bad fires yesterday and the day before where my parents live in a little town down near the coast. My brother and his two kids are down there as well for the week as well. In the feral conditions the fire front made it to within a couple of kms and a spot fire started at the end of their street :nofunny: . As my brother rather dryly put it, the wind change (with the cold front) arrived at a very good time. No-one was killed in the town and surrounds but a fair bit of property damage. Some people not so lucky in some of the other fires, unfortunately.
Very bad fire conditions yesterday, from the pictures on the news I’m surprised so few people were killed.
Good to hear your family is all safe.

Back