New 60 and 70cc saw opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll confirm with him details first before I post that up. It's always possible his mechanics found operator error causing failure. I do know, for a fact, that all but one of the first batch he sold came back to the shop within weeks.

Doesn't bother me what people saw. If folks here are so fragile that asking questions about a saw offends, then I should probably depart from this community. I'm not here to make friends but to learn :shrug:
All but one of them failing would either be an incredible anomaly, operator error, or this is made up nonsense. With how you reacted I'm leaning towards this not being factual.

All but one of them failing would either be an incredible anomaly, operator error, or this is made up nonsense. With how you reacted I'm leaning towards this not being factual.

You're welcome to feel any way you like. Just sharing what I was told by the shop. I'm not vested in any form or fashion either way.

FWIW , my local dealer sold a couple of palettes of full wrap 462 c-m and said only 2 have come back and none failed. Mostly fallers here looking at weight savings giving the 462 c-m a whirl it seems. I am tempted but can't justify the cost as I'm not earning money in the woods anymore, 562xp cuts most everything I need. In a moment of weakness I may just buy one anyway - :p Guessing a full wrap 20" would suit me fine and I'd probably never wear the saw out. How they stand up to daily use by full timers only time will tell.

Like MountainHigh... I would like to "try" a 462 but can't justify it.

The 461 I have does everything I'll ever need to do and IMO... the 461 is still a pretty darn good saw especially for me since I just cut for firewood.
I’m in agreement with you on that. As a simple firewood cutter and hobby sawmill owner, the 461 I found used in very good running condition will do most anything I need. Someday hope to find a good 462 for about half retail and I’ll snatch it up! Maybe when the 500 finally makes its big debut there will be a bunch of 462 hit the used market?

I’m in agreement with you on that. As a simple firewood cutter and hobby sawmill owner, the 461 I found used in very good running condition will do most anything I need. Someday hope to find a good 462 for about half retail and I’ll snatch it up! Maybe when the 500 finally makes its big debut there will be a bunch of 462 hit the used market?

Ya, I like that idea! Lay low in the weeds and wait. Couple of years and they'll be throwing them away :laugh:

Like MountainHigh... I would like to "try" a 462 but can't justify it.

The 461 I have does everything I'll ever need to do and IMO... the 461 is still a pretty darn good saw especially for me since I just cut for firewood.

The 461 is one of the best saws ever made. Period.

The 461 is one of the best saws ever made. Period.

For running a 28-32 inch bar it may be the best saw ever made, period. That saw took almost all of the best qualities of the 046/MS 460 in its durability, handling and power and then took care of the god awful vibration level (somehow, AV system is the same) while improving the fuel efficiency and giving the saw a wider power band. Maybe it got a little heavier, not by much and I really don’t care to put the 046 and 461 set up the same on a scale to measure.

The power band of that saw is crazy forgiving. It may not be as fast self feeding in a cant as the new saw but man, when I’m dawgged in a snag with the tip of a 32 buried and I’m pulling hard on that back handle trying to set a hinge it’s hard to stall and that is fantastic. It just keeps going. It’s one of the last bastions of old school saw design.

I know the 462 is technically the replacement, but it’s so different from what I’m used to and it just feels anemic is every way to me, even when it’s in the cut. I’m interested in seeing how the 500i runs, but until then the 572 for me is the winner in this category, and it handles better than a 461, at least to my hands, like most Husqvarna saws do.

You're welcome to feel any way you like. Just sharing what I was told by the shop. I'm not vested in any form or fashion either way.
Spoke with Paul today. They have sold 166 to date, 3 have been returned. One was over 200 hours run time, clutch side bearing failed and Husqvarna covered under warranty (aked him about fuel quality and he did not care, was would be covered unless straight gassed), second saws software went blank (Doug said he had only seen that on early 562's) re-flashed and is still ok, third saw was run over by a skidder and owner ate it. Did not understand your 75-80% failure rate and still do not. I call BS.

Spoke with Paul today. They have sold 166 to date, 3 have been returned. One was over 200 hours run time, clutch side bearing failed and Husqvarna covered under warranty (aked him about fuel quality and he did not care, was would be covered unless straight gassed), second saws software went blank (Doug said he had only seen that on early 562's) re-flashed and is still ok, third saw was run over by a skidder and owner ate it. Did not understand your 75-80% failure rate and still do not. I call BS.
I believe this person..your conversing with... and the op, could careless about A sve-den made saw, they only have eyes for da-german saw's ya?...;)

Since I love my 562xp I've had my eye on a new 572xp since they hit dealers.

My cutting buddy ended getting sent home with a 572xp that was brought back cause the owner said it didnt oil or something.

He ran the saw in oak for a week or so. The saw performed flawlessly the whole time he had it.

After he was done I asked him if hes going to buy one?

He said its a really nice saw and he'd buy one but its not lighter then his xpw and it makes less power then his walkerized 372. So basically he doesnt need a new saw lol.

I still want one and I've looked at the 462 and although the 462 is lighter and the specs look better the huge price difference between the 572 and 462 mean I'd buy a 572 every time.

I still want one.... of course you do , and I've looked at the 462 and although the 462 is lighter and the specs look better ... ( on paper)... the" huge price difference " between the 572 and 462 mean "I'd buy a 572 every time" . Because its the better saw and a better price.
FIXED... tinman204...:)

I still want one.... of course you do , and I've looked at the 462 and although the 462 is lighter and the specs look better ... ( on paper)... the" huge price difference " between the 572 and 462 mean "I'd buy a 572 every time" . Because its the better saw and a better price.
FIXED... tinman204...:)

K, fine I'll say it.

I DON'T CARE FOR NEW STIHLS OR STIHLS RIDICULOUS PRICES.

Its like its a privilege to shop at a stihl dealer or something.

For the price of a 462 I could buy a 390 and have money left over. Or I could buy a ported 572xp.

My buddy and I were yakkin the other day about silly stihl prices.

For just the price of an 880 here I could buy a 395 and a 562.

I have a hard time with that cause wether its dolmar, husky or stihl all the new saws are so good that its crazy how much stihl wants for everything.

Ran a 441cm last weekend against a 365. Both are nice saws with similar power and weight, one cost $950 new and the other like $1400.

I don't get it.

Update from my dealer. He's now sold 10 572's. 2 came back with bearing/bottom end issues. One was manufacturer defect. He says the other is suspect and was most likely NOT a seal that went bad, but some form of trauma occurred to the saw and allowed a leak.

Other than minor repairs on the other two from the first four sold, no other issues have arisen. The other 6 he sold afterwards have been problem-free. He's wary, but not as hard on the 572 as he was a couple months back.

Update from my dealer. He's now sold 10 572's. 2 came back with bearing/bottom end issues. One was manufacturer defect. He says the other is suspect and was most likely NOT a seal that went bad, but some form of trauma occurred to the saw and allowed a leak.

Other than minor repairs on the other two from the first four sold, no other issues have arisen. The other 6 he sold afterwards have been problem-free. He's wary, but not as hard on the 572 as he was a couple months back.
Sorry brother but you're initial story didn't hold water. They're dealers here that have sold hundreds with only one or two saws with small issues, and a few chain break handles that were broken in the box from shipping. You're going to need to do better than pass along vague second hand information, for us to take what you say more seriously.

Sorry brother but you're initial story didn't hold water. They're dealers here that have sold hundreds with only one or two saws with small issues, and a few chain break handles that were broken in the box from shipping. You're going to need to do better than pass along vague second hand information, for us to take what you say more seriously.
agreed.... @spike60 has sold many , maybe he can come advise on how sales and major failures go........... mine although minor use has been flawless in every way running 28 light bar

You may want to go back and read you first post. Doesn't make sense to me.

the 572xp is a good saw, recommended, 462 seems to rate well also ..don't forget about the 7900/ 372xt / or the ms461 series of saws
I have a few saws I use a good amount, I have 5 husky 65-72 and 6 or so jonsered 2172 and 2165 .all run great no complaints at all . My freinds that replace saws are all going ms461 stihls . In my area all stihls are about 250-450 more than comparable husky so . Is it worth it to you ? I’m building my first big stihl now a 661 from wasted saws , we will see how it goes . My big saw for past 20 years has been my 394 husky . Always a great saw . Has big bore and new carb now and really pumps so . Enjoy the saws , it’s what makes u happy in use . So many great products . What fits u best , enjoy and b safe

Latest posts

Back