Stihl 461 0r 462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmateurSawer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What else did Stihl do beside lowering the displacement on the 462 to lighten it a pound and half from the 461.I like the lighter weight idea which makes it the same as my 362 but at what cost? I can't see dropping a couple cc's making that much weight difference.

Is spring AV the way stihl is going now? I can’t stand such a bouncy flexible saw, drives me nuts. I felt it on the ms 362 and instantly hated it!

I don't know for sure, but I don't think any of the new stuff has rubber. Might be time to stash away a 461 if you like that feel. I know what your talking about, but there's some husky saws with springs and also rubber bumpers/limiters that feel really nice in my opinion.

I’m truly just a firewood cutter with a huge interest in chainsaws. I’ve bought, sold and traded many saws over the years. Last year I bought the last 461 my dealer had. Very pleased with the saws performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My deck and shaved 362c feels like a friend's 462. I would get a 461 while you can. Or an 044. 462 isn't worth the money. Imho

Love my 462. From the video's i've watched, the 462 doesn't respond nearly as well to porting as the 461. They're pretty well optimized from the factory it seems. Or a lot closer than the 461 anyway.

Stock for stock, 462 runs faster than 461, and it's lighter by a good bit.

Fully zipped the 461 beats the 462. Obviously the 462 is still lighter though.

So, if you want a light saber, 462 is your beast. If you want something a bit heavier and you want to get it ported, the 461 is an absolute ripper.

They are not really designed for the same kind of work.
They are both powerful and fast. The 462 is faster as a stock saw, has great throttle response and is very light.
But the 461 has more torque and will sh1t all over a stock 660 when ported.
If you want a saw that will pull a 20-28' bar all day in anything up to 30' wood without much or any work done to it then the 462 is probably the better choice, especially in softwoods.
But if you want to go up into the 30', 32' and sometimes 36' bar lengths in bigger wood then go with the 461.
Just my two cents, not gospel by any means.

They are not really designed for the same kind of work.
They are both powerful and fast. The 462 is faster as a stock saw, has great throttle response and is very light.
But the 461 has more torque and will sh1t all over a stock 660 when ported.
If you want a saw that will pull a 20-28' bar all day in anything up to 30' wood without much or any work done to it then the 462 is probably the better choice, especially in softwoods.
But if you want to go up into the 30', 32' and sometimes 36' bar lengths in bigger wood then go with the 461.
Just my two cents, not gospel by any means.
" not ' btw.

Back