Why does everyone run 50:1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hmm3grin2orange: You are kidding right? What's your stand on limiter caps :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, not really.

Most people buy a saw and never touch the carb screws. Others don't know how to tune the saw anyway and shouldn't be turning them to begin with, hence a reason the caps are probably on there instead of some EPA mandate....

I was really just amazed that you are such a kind hearted soul that you would sacrifice your equiqment to save us all from global warming. (IF there really was such a thing) I however will continue to mix at 40:1 and remove limiter caps and re-tune everything that comes in my shop.

i just read all the thread and can't believe no one mentioned the main two stroke killer here...with all the knowledge floating around on this forum (not been smart or anything) just strange no one mentioned this.

you don't need more oil,you need the proper mix and you need to be exact (100mills syntetic oil to 5liters) is perfect. (50:1)

if you run anymore than this it is a problem and the main problem for all two stroke engines is carbon build up,when you use extra oil all you will do is cake the top of the piston with carbon,it's obviously bad when you use a lower mix,but equally as bad if you use more oil,this is the reason for piston/cylinder failuers,now i am just speaking about standard saws from the factory,that rev out to max 13000rpms (aprox) mix ratios and oils are differnt for tuned saws.the carbon is a nuissance with extra oil as it hardens and can fall between the cylinder walls and scratch and damage the bore and ring.

i race two stroke 5th scale R/C model cars,it's very important we use the correct oil and amount,as i say the carbon is the problem on the piston crown,it upsets the squish band,usually not a bad thing cause the extra carbon can give you more power on top of the piston at times,but it's better to keep it off and the correct oil ratio does exactly that,it keeps this harmfull carbon deposits away from the piston crown and exhaust ports,good oil also helps with the proper additives in it to keep carbon down.

our model car engines run 40:1 mix but these two stroke highly tuned 23cc engines can reach 25000rpms,now you can afford to use a little extra oil if needs be but 40:1 is perfect.

now why on earth would you want to use EXTRA oil on a low revving 12500rpm chainsaw engine? madness....if anything a little less oil to keep down the carbon,BUT NO stick with the reccomended 50:1 it will be fine.

so in a nutshell if you run more oil you think you are doing the saw good,the engine is actually going to be worse off long term and the life will be shortened,aswell as this the extra oil will burn in the case and destroy the bearings!!

twostroke engines are very small and simple,you need just enough oil to keep things cool and good carb settings,i always use 50:1 mix,never any problems,never even need to change plugs.

logger

Last edited:
Hmmmm ...

Uh Huh - sure - let's see - I been running two strokes since I was 15 and I'm gettin up there now. Let's just call it 50 years. Never seen too much oil kill anything. Too little - you betcha.

Yeah - cheap oil can carbon. But the build-up happens at about the same rate as ring wear and loss of tension - so when it's time for a fresh ring, it's time to de-carbon too.

I got some Red Max motors with a couple thousand hours each and they been flooded and hosed out with WD40 and fired back up. Bout time for new rings, but the top of the piston is tan/brown and there is not any hard black carbon anywhere. Been running 40:1 for decades, and decades with good oil - and they'all all still running. I think I'll stay the way I am.

The real two-stroke killer is LEAN. Mixture wrong - motor gone :(

Uh Huh - sure - let's see - I been running two strokes since I was 15 and I'm gettin up there now. Let's just call it 50 years. Never seen too much oil kill anything. Too little - you betcha.

Yeah - cheap oil can carbon. But the build-up happens at about the same rate as ring wear and loss of tension - so when it's time for a fresh ring, it's time to de-carbon too.

I got some Red Max motors with a couple thousand hours each and they been flooded and hosed out with WD40 and fired back up. Bout time for new rings, but the top of the piston is tan/brown and there is not any hard black carbon anywhere. Been running 40:1 for decades, and decades with good oil - and they'all all still running. I think I'll stay the way I am.

The real two-stroke killer is LEAN. Mixture wrong - motor gone :(

WELL SAID.:clap:

Been thinking lately about going 62.5:1 I just had the powerband changed out for a bigger one, and I'm thinking the extra oil will give it a little bit manlier roar. I've already changed out the muffler for a megaphone, but I need just a little bit more. 130db just isn't quite fast enough. What do you all do?

Been thinking lately about going 62.5:1 I just had the powerband changed out for a bigger one, and I'm thinking the extra oil will give it a little bit manlier roar. I've already changed out the muffler for a megaphone, but I need just a little bit more. 130db just isn't quite fast enough. What do you all do?

????? You use a muffler?

I don't use oil in my high performance 2 strokes the reason is they need so much fuel so fast that I find the oil just thickens up the gas and makes if flow slower, hence I can get more fuel stuffed into the carb faster without the oil.

I would change out the powerband though, that was smart.

Sam

Oil is cheap. I can afford a bit more to keep my saw protected. That's why I run 60:1. ;)

Think your math is a little fuzzy.

The answer to you query; 50:1 because that is what the pump says at the marina.

What do I win?

Think your math is a little fuzzy.

The answer to you query; 50:1 because that is what the pump says at the marina.

What do I win?

Oh....Sorry!!! The correct answer is "Marine gas is only to be used in underwater saws for log recovery operations." Thanks for playing, Bob...tell him what the consolation prize is........:dizzy:

????? You use a muffler?

I don't use oil in my high performance 2 strokes the reason is they need so much fuel so fast that I find the oil just thickens up the gas and makes if flow slower, hence I can get more fuel stuffed into the carb faster without the oil.

I would change out the powerband though, that was smart.

Sam

you should plug the tank vent so it will build up pressure and keep the gas flowing. :msp_biggrin:

:ices_rofl: methinks da mule drinks a wee bit too much:hmm3grin2orange:

On a more serious note, there was a mention of milling. I run 40-1 with synthetic blend in my milling saw (066BB) with no scoring issues, no carbon issues, and no oil running out the muffler. Those of you who embrace the "cats", limiter caps, 50-1, etc will be horrified :msp_scared: to find that milling saws are purposely tuned too rich on top end to aid in cooling. :censored: ethanol is a problem for parts and fuel, and not just in 2 strokes.

With the older husky oil it’s one bottle of two stroke mix to 2.5 gallons of gas that’s 40:1 ratio using the husky do oil. I ran the bottle to 2.3/2.4 gallons of gas. A tad oil rich. I never had a problem once I learned how to adjust the carbs correctly. Now with my newer saws it’s xp+ two stroke oil at 38:1 ratio.

I also found out there are summer adjustments and winter adjustments on the low speed screw.

I’m not sure about summer and winter adjustments on my older new 575 Xp &, 385 Xp. But I think the low speed screw needs the same tweaking as my 80’s saws do.

My point is I’m not going to run two different mix ratios for newer and older husky saws. I’m thinking that 38:1 ratio should cover them all once there adjusted to it.

I notice with the huztl /farmtec chain saws the oil ratio changes. There’s videos of these saws seeking, I asked a few posters what ratio were they running? Each Chinese saw comes with a different recommended ratio. Follow your instruction book. They don’t seem to recommend a leaner oil ratio. They seem to be around 20:1/25:1/30:1. Read the manual. Don’t screw up.

Oh....Sorry!!! The correct answer is "Marine gas is only to be used in underwater saws for log recovery operations." Thanks for playing, Bob...tell him what the consolation prize is........:dizzy:

Didn’t that crazy swamp logger was shown coming up in the water with a Stihl chainsaw? I think it was running or maybe sound effects.

Can a chain saw run under water?
Compressed air powered.
Gas powered maybe with the air intake and exhaust on a float but what about the wet ignition. Need to use environmentally safe bar oil.

My Dolmar instructions recommends 100/1 with their special 2 stroke oil, 50/1 with ordinary good quality oil. They explicit recommend "not" to exceed this, however I like to use 33/1 the first few tanks or if I'm tuning.
That said I have generally no idea of what I'm talking about, I've never used a chainsaw for 20 odd years - but my Husky with the factory tuning had carbon buildup after one season using premixed 2 stroke fuel at 50/1.

Back