New Project Saw MS360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
Well I made the deal on this saw. I paid more than i wanted but less than it's worth. It's going to be a gamble to see if I can make any money on it or not, but the fun is in making junk saws run again.

00S0S_9moFlOotQW0_1200x900.jpg

The saw is very clean, has a good 20" bar and decent chain.

It does however have severe scoring that I can see through the exhaust port.
Attach38820_20191227_214613.jpg

The guy said he bought it used. He ran it for about 15 minutes set it down while idling and it just quit. He didnt seem to know much about saws so I expect it's the fuel.

I haven't run a leak test on it yet, but I poured out the gas that was in the tank and it is colored like it has some oil in it, but my eyes arent calibrated enough to know if that is the correct color. Any input would be appreciated.

The fuel from the saw is the green stuff on the right, and straight fuel is on the left.

20191228_171820.jpg

Does that look right to anybody? Does it look like it was mixed lean?

My 360 Pro is one of my favorite saws. I limb with an 026 or 261, but I buck most of the top with my 360 before I step up to a 460 or 461 for the main trunk.

Yours is well worth fixing man!

Good saw you bought there as I’m sure you know. I like BangBang77 have a 026 and a 260 for light stuff, but the 360 is my main 60cc saw that cuts good with a 20” bar. Wish I could give you an educated guess on the gas but will defer to those more experienced. Either way it is a good all around saw IMHO.

Pull the jug.

Lean score is usually only on the exhaust side. Straight gassed is usually all over the jug.

It’s quite difficult to make money on a saw unless you got the saw for nearly nothing, especially if you’re willing to use all OEM parts. A piston alone is $100, but a heavier meteor piston will work.

Not sure what you paid, but that’s one of my all time favorite Stihl’s. If you plan on keeping the saw, I’m sure you did well.

If one buys and runs a used saw without first a good inspection of the piston then a saw can already be scored somewhat and still run and do even greater damage. I have seen this more than once and it was not the new owners fuel mix that was bad. Any used saw should have a good inspection before startup so any damage can be caught and mitigated before serious damage occurs. More than one saw has also came my way that had been straight gassed, it came in with good fresh mix in it but it was too easy to see the damage was done before the new mix was added.

I had a MS360 PRO in today to look at, was told it needed a new carb so as usual I check a few things first. Fuel filter rolling around in the tank loose, fuel line stiff as a board, fuel puddle under the carb, line cracked near off at the tank grommet. Carb clean as a whistle inside, diaphragms all soft and in good condition. Looks like a new fuel line and filter will fix it.

So I got a little work done on the saw today. I git lucky again. I did a pressure and vacuum test on the crankcase before teardown and no leaks were found.

So I then took off the cylinder. This saw is black inside. I dont k ow if the guy used motor oil instead of 2 stroke oil, or maybe put bar oil in the gas, or poured old oil in the cylinder to show it had lots of compression? No idea, but this thing was oily black all over inside.
20200101_143915.jpg
Luckily the cylinder didnt have any scoring and after some honing (I know) and scotchbrite, it cleaned up very well. Except for a little at the very top of the cylinder that you can only see with a flashlight, but cant feel.

The rest of the saw appears to be very clean, and in great shape.

I went ahead and ordered a Meteor piston for it today, so hopefully in a few days, I will have this saw up and running again.

This will be a good saw for the collection.

could it have some diesel run through it....? Is it a real late 36 with flip caps....I thought they were all screw..036 pro was my first new saw in 93...still have it great saws.

the can

That black stuff is aluminum dust.
Probaly has an air leak. Check the cranks seals, intake boot etc.
I really dont think it's all aluminum dust. It had allt of black liquid in the bottom of the crankcase. Honestly what I think it was, was WD40 or something similar that was poured in the cylinder. Maybe they tried to loosen up the rings. Lol

Besides, as mentioned above, I did a pressure and vacuum test, and it passed on both accounts.

I really dont think it's all aluminum dust. It had allt of black liquid in the bottom of the crankcase. Honestly what I think it was, was WD40 or something similar that was poured in the cylinder. Maybe they tried to loosen up the rings. Lol

Besides, as mentioned above, I did a pressure and vacuum test, and it passed on both accounts.
I missed the vac test part.

So along with parts for my 562xp that came today, my new piston and rings came for my MS360.

Without too much effort, I got her running. And man does she run.

It's an amazingly clean saw, I am not sure what to do with it. The bar is pretty worn, it looks like it got pretty hot, and the chain is worn down quite a bit. I may swap the bar and chain from my 034 Super and then keep this one and sell the 034, or trade it for something else.

Anyway, here it is.
20200106_210126.jpg

Back