bundle handles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm just about finished building my bundler, but I'm having trouble coming up with a carrying handle for the customers.

I was planning on using 1/4" narrow crown staples to hold it on, but maybe that's not the right thing.

0390PACd.jpg

I've tried pieces of that plastic strapping that is used around boxes, but it pulls right out of the staples. I tried doubling it up at the ends, but that didn't work either.

I thought maybe some binder twine, but that can get pretty thin and painful to tender hands.

Clothesline rope at the hardware store in 10 cents a foot - that looks good, but I'd like to go cheaper than that.

that nylon webbing strap is good, but that's even more expensive (from a brief search).

A piece of hose is good. That's strong and holds well. I even tried slicing it thinner (maybe 1/4 of the hose) and it still holds well, but I'm not too keen on the idea of burning rubber (nor will all customers like the idea), and it would be hard for some people to remove the hose.

What about pull tape or Muletape? That seems to be worth looking into. It looks like the plastic strapping, but it's woven. 3 cents a foot in huge quantities.

upload_2019-12-30_11-29-45.png

We usually just use bailing twine. Cheap, bio-degradable and we have an ample supply. You could braid it quickly if you wanted a larger diameter.

Why bother with handles? It's added cost between material and labor. Plus slows down production.

I've sold a couple 10 thousand bundles over the last ~5 years, have never had anyone mention it.

Plastic strapping would work fine and a 1500ft roll is ~$40

Why bother with handles? It's added cost between material and labor. Plus slows down production.

I've sold a couple 10 thousand bundles over the last ~5 years, have never had anyone mention it.

Plastic strapping would work fine and a 1500ft roll is ~$40

What plastic strapping are you talking about? The stuff I've tried is not working.

I only sell a couple hundred bundles a year, and it's in town to yuppies who only want a bit of ambiance or a backyard fire. A handle would be an added convenience that might keep them coming to the hardware store to buy my bundles than the bundles at the gas stations.

At least, that's the idea. Marketing is a world I don't understand, but I'm giving it a shot.

Something that they can burn is a big plus. Less plastic is also a good selling point. Something like this would work but would take some time. Wouldn't need to be as fancy as this but I bet you would sell lots if they looked like this. These look stapled on but I wouldn't do that.

Attachments

• handles.jpg
    handles.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 39
What plastic strapping are you talking about? The stuff I've tried is not working.

I only sell a couple hundred bundles a year, and it's in town to yuppies who only want a bit of ambiance or a backyard fire. A handle would be an added convenience that might keep them coming to the hardware store to buy my bundles than the bundles at the gas stations.

At least, that's the idea. Marketing is a world I don't understand, but I'm giving it a shot.

The local grocery store used to get them with handles.

Story I heard is handles broke, causing complaints and lawsuits.
They don't have handles anymore. Just a thought

Don't staple through the middle of the strap and it won't split. Use OSB Staples.

Uncle...weren't you doing bags rather than wrap not too long ago? I've done wrapped and they can get loose. I think bags may just be better and they include a handle. This is a 15x25 that holds .5 cu ft. Good for kindling but too small for firewood. Need a bigger size for .75 or 1 cu ft.

20191231_181145.jpg

Have you tried hay bailing twine? If it works, find a rancher that throws it away after they cut the bails open. Have them save all there twine for you. They might even give to you for free. Bundles are fairly light and if the customer can't use both hands they are just wimps and need to man up, or wear gloves.

Have a look above Homemade's #5 post and there is an advertisment for near exactly what your looking for. Check it out. Its 'firewoodhandles.com'

Interesting. I bet those are expensive, though. Also, they are only 9". My stretch wrap is 9" so I want to clear it on both sides, so the customer doesn't have to struggle with the film under a staple.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 1/4" hollow poly pro rope. a 1,000' roll is 4 cents a foot. That's not bad at all, and the rope is nice and soft, and a decent size.

7F6BCE7A-17AE-4214-BBA2-7DCBABF3AD9E.jpeg

This pic is my local hardware store.

I get mesh bags like above for about 35c each if bought by the 500.
I doubt you’ll be cheaper than that with that rope. I’d think baler twine would be cheaper? Figure out a way/stand to stack it in and wrap it with twine on one end, leave some slack for a handle and wrap the other end. A few of the right knots and voila! It all takes time and effort! I chalk it up to filling otherwise unproductive time, using lower quality firewood logs that still make great bundled campfire wood, and at wholesale prices and a couple hundred bags a year, it’s beer money!

Interesting. I bet those are expensive, though. Also, they are only 9". My stretch wrap is 9" so I want to clear it on both sides, so the customer doesn't have to struggle with the film under a staple.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 1/4" hollow poly pro rope. a 1,000' roll is 4 cents a foot. That's not bad at all, and the rope is nice and soft, and a decent size.

View attachment 784966

This pic is my local hardware store.

I contacted the outfit, they are about 4.5 cents each, at least on a small order of 1200.

I'm thinking of trying them out.

Latest posts

Back