Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wicked man so do you get into the port timing or just widen and the fingers. Does the 3700 have the bridge in the intake like the 4000? I was wondering if that really needs to be there.

Yes the 3700 has a bridge just like a 4000. It is basically the same cylinder except the 4000 is just a larger diameter for the extra CC.
I would leave the bridge in to give support to the piston ring or else it could expand to much.
I have a timing wheel and have used it but like you said I just widened the ports some and keep it gradual at the edges so that the ring will not hang up.

Yes the 3700 has a bridge just like a 4000. It is basically the same cylinder except the 4000 is just a larger diameter for the extra CC.
I would leave the bridge in to give support to the piston ring or else it could expand to much.
I have a timing wheel and have used it but like you said I just widened the ports some and keep it gradual at the edges so that the ring will not hang up.

Well yeah I thought that and then it dawned on me the rings are above the port.

Did you gain much with a widening?

I've got a husky 350 perhaps I should have a play on it 1st to get the feel.

Well yeah I thought that and then it dawned on me the rings are above the port.

Did you gain much with a widening?

I've got a husky 350 perhaps I should have an play on it 1st to get the feel.

You gain a little but it is a culmination of things that make a difference. Mild porting, reducing the squish, matching the cylinder exhaust port and the muffler port, doing a good muffler mod, advanced the timing a couple of degrees, on the counter vibes smoothing out the intake. I have a 3700 I did all those things to and yes there was a difference.

Those OWB can sure eat some wood so I am sure you take all you can get.
I have an IWB they are only slightly less hungry!!! I’ll probably use about 12 cords and only had time to get about 10 cords laid in by fall. The good thing is I have plenty of wood to cut nearby and can haul with truck or snowmobile.

I have an IWB they are only slightly less hungry!!! I’ll probably use about 12 cords and only had time to get about 10 cords laid in by fall. The good thing is I have plenty of wood to cut nearby and can haul with truck or snowmobile.

Wow that is a lot of wood and a lot of cutting.

If you go with a 28" bar and cut from both sides that would be a pretty big tree.

You gain a little but it is a culmination of things that make a difference. Mild porting, reducing the squish, matching the cylinder exhaust port and the muffler port, doing a good muffler mod, advanced the timing a couple of degrees, on the counter vibes smoothing out the intake. I have a 3700 I did all those things to and yes there was a difference.

Yeah makes sense on my 4000 I did the intake/adapter as it didn't look nice. The exhaust port looked nice against the muffler I drilled out the baffle and removed the screen mine is a Canadian model with no side port in the muffler so added that and deleted the base gasket. I never new if any made a difference as it got new rings at the same time so yeah but that intake sure was nasty.

Just aspen. My neighbor had a bunch of widow makers and blow downs on his property and they are right by the road so I’m supplementing the boiler supply.

I burn a bit of poplar and other wood the snobs would look down on too. It's free it burns it's easy splitting it drys fast and is warm so why not and I get to play with my saws. If the people in my circle are in need of wood then there's always some poplar dry and it mixes good with nicer wood. Does smell funny though

Has anyone "been there, done that" with swapping a Stihl 039 / 390 piston (or any other 49mm piston for that matter) into a PP380 / 3750 for a bump in compression. It's pristine inside and only pulls 130lbs with .050" factory squish. I am thinking pop up. Squish is almost .040" without a base gasket. I would prefer to not mill the base, intake timing is already at 79° I'm mainly concerned with location / width of ring locating pins on the 039 piston. If not, I'll just order one and find out, but thought I'd check here first. I tried to search, but had no luck. Any input is welcome. Thanks in advance. 20191002_125516.jpg

Has anyone "been there, done that" with swapping a Stihl 039 / 390 piston (or any other 49mm piston for that matter) into a PP380 / 3750 for a bump in compression. It's pristine inside and only pulls 130lbs with .050" factory squish. I am thinking pop up. Squish is almost .040" without a base gasket. I would prefer to not mill the base, intake timing is already at 79° I'm mainly concerned with location / width of ring locating pins on the 039 piston. If not, I'll just order one and find out, but thought I'd check here first. I tried to search, but had no luck. Any input is welcome. Thanks in advance. View attachment 784755

I read something on it years back. I will see if I can locate it. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/poulan/ update - I was wrong, my search lead to 039 piston upgrades for s39 build off.

Lot of mine stock pulled 180psi with gasket. 150psi seems to be the norm.
I dont want much more then 180 in my work saws. JMO

IMO pull apart and see why your only pulling 130psi.

pp380s036034.jpg

Looks like a nice clean super 380, but like JJ said I would see why your compression is so low. Maybe a ring starting to stick or some scoring somewhere.
Instead of milling the base of the cylinder you can always sand it down a little on a flat surface using a side ways figure 8 motion and then rotating the cylinder.

Considering a longer bar for the 8500. Should I go 28” or 32”?

Depends how long you really need and want to deal with. My one 5200 wears a 32" all the time. It would have no trouble with a 36.

I use D009 Husky bars with the slot filed out to 3/8" and use 5/16" x 3/8" spacers on the bar studs.

Latest posts

Back