Drop Starting a Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I throw the rear grip between my legs every time. Just how I do it.

I don't necessarily think drop starting is super dangerous though...I've never heard of anyone getting hurt doing that. Unless maybe you had a large displacement saw with a short bar and it was at WOT for some reason...that could possibly get sporty with only one hand controlling it.

Drop starting for me, it just feels right. Don’t really see the danger personally. I have tried the “correct” methods and both feel very awkward to me. If something doesn’t feel right I am not going to do it, I would probably trip and fall on the bar trying to pull start it with my foot. I have managed so far, it’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drop start, usually with the brake on. I’m not really sure why it would be a dangerous technique.

I just hold the saws with my left hand and pull with my right hand. What is the purpose of drop starting?

That’s not exactly true drop starting left hand on the starter handle right hand on the throw it’s more of a throw/rowing motion. We do it all the time with the long bars like a 60” bar you’re not going to lift that thing anymore then required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drop start everything. Except when I put the 32 on the 7910. Foot in the handle cold and if its warm bar on a log and pull.

I would just brace it in between my legs, then stand 3' away from someone and tell them they're 4" away from being a c@cksucker, ha ha

I drop start everything except the 395xp(s) and the 3120. The 3120 is a cantankerous old beast and I have broken 4 starter cords on it. If you are going to drop start saws, I do recommend using the chain brake.

View attachment 784874 Come on over we can take a pic I'm sure all the safety folks would try to get us banned. I'll send you home with a truck load of oak.

You really need a hand? That big ol Dolmar and long bar ought to make short work of that big log. I might be available on Sunday, or even possibly sometime next weekend.

Yeah, ha ha, that would be a funny photo op. Longest bar I have is the stock 25" on my smelly 461, so I might experience inadequacy issues...

I drop start em all from 30 to 90cc and so does everyone I know.
Only exception being my China MS660, mainly so I don't break the starter off though lol. Sometimes I'll start it from the ground so I can feel it's off compression before delivering a committed pull.

You really need a hand? That big ol Dolmar and long bar ought to make short work of that big log. I might be available on Sunday, or even possibly sometime next weekend.

Yeah, ha ha, that would be a funny photo op. Longest bar I have is the stock 25" on my smelly 461, so I might experience inadequacy issues...
I'll get it done. I'm in no hurry theres 2 years worth of split wood on my property and probably 2 years or better worth in just this tree. If you could use wood your more then welcome to stop over. Don't feel inadequate my longest bar is only 24" the 32 is another members.

Is this because the saws are high compression and pulling the starter makes the bar pick up? I too am in the drop start cold or hot and no chain brake unless on steep/uneven footing camp. But maybe that's because my saw drop starts really well and I'm left-handed so starting on the ground is awkward.

Yes Compression.

And i just dont like doing that anymore anyway.

Pull back easy and slow to get on a compression stroke. Then a short tug. Thats all i do anymore.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Back