Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to wait a few minutes for a load of logs on the way to work yesterday morning. Boys were cleaning up some ash on the side of the road. Team of 3 and pulling wagon on steel wheels. Power company had marked them so I guess they decided to get them down on their own. We have Amish mills every mile around here. Sometimes 5 or 6 mills on one block of road.

Attachments

• 20200101_104414.jpg
    20200101_104414.jpg
    934.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200101_104337.jpg
    20200101_104337.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20200101_104333.jpg
    20200101_104333.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
Had to wait a few minutes for a load of logs on the way to work yesterday morning. Boys were cleaning up some ash on the side of the road. Team of 3 and pulling wagon on steel wheels. Power company had marked them so I guess they decided to get them down on their own. We have Amish mills every mile around here. Sometimes 5 or 6 mills on one block of road.

When i was a kid we would go to the amish mills and get a heaping full pickup load of rough cut slab wood for $20-$25[emoji23]

If we took the trailer to it was $50

If i could get that deal today i would never split wood. That was in the early90’s in Ohio.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

When i was a kid we would go to the amish mills and get a heaping full pickup load of rough cut slab wood for $20-$25[emoji23]

If i could get that deal today i would never split wood. That was in the early90’s in Ohio.

Back in the 70’s-80’s we could get the tops from logging operations for $10-$15 a cord. It would be a good deal for a home owner, but they wouldn’t sell to home owners because of insurance, and they wanted to sell more than a cord here and there. We only tried it once or twice to keep the men going, but we lost money doing it. We were only getting $100 a cord then. Our top climbers were making about $20 an hour then.

Still get that from most mills, usually $25/bundle and a bundle is more than a pickup will haul.

My stove specifically states not to burn slabwood or that would be my route also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I get that part. But seriously.... next they are going to tax us with each toilet flush.

There is a little neighborhood about 5 mi from here where all the houses had well trouble. So the Town stepped in and created a well for them. The average water bill per household (depends on usage) is about $3 - 4,000/year!

There is a little neighborhood about 5 mi from here where all the houses had well trouble. So the Town stepped in and created a well for them. The average water bill per household (depends on usage) is about $3 - 4,000/year!
You can buy a lot of gallons of purified water for that. And greywater system for other stuff.

After our neighbor's house burned down we were reading where you should drink and cook with bottled water for a while to let all of the stuff clear through the aquifers....70 cents a gallon for purified water is pretty reasonable IMO.

I never drain any of my saws, and non ethanol fuel is N/A around here. I just make sure I mix it when it is still fresh … the 2 cycle oil has stabilizers, and I try to run each saw no longer than 3 months from the last time.
I go to Carmel often . My mom lives there I have access to non ethonal high test. If you got a couple of 5 gallon cans I could get some for ya.
On my way to her house I text my pal about two blow downs on his land. He says as long as I’m done by noon. His GF will be over with her parents and doesn’t want the sound of the saw. Then I get to her place and my eyes pop outta my head. I had to text him back that I’ll get to his place Sunday. If it wasn’t such short notice I’d try and get Uncle Mike there to help me. My brother in-law (usually partner in firewood) is laid up right now. Freaking blood clot his his lung! Poor guy is only 42 and a tough guy and this took the wind out his sailView attachment 783234

Hope he is on the mend. Nice to see guys on here around me. I Live outside of Ellenville . On the Rondout reservoir.

My scrounging has stopped for the moment. Ground is just muddy for it. This was a couple of weeks ago. Not worried about it as I'm the only one the owner let's on the property. Around 40 archers being logged I get all the tops dead and collateral damaged trees
20191215_121025.jpg

30 years ago, we could get strapped bundles, the size of a mid-sized car, delivered in the city for about $60. Boom truck set them over our fence. Cut pieces to length with an electric chainsaw.

Have not looked for years. EAB restrictions may also have interfered with deliveries.

Philbert

30 years ago, we could get strapped bundles, the size of a mid-sized car, delivered in the city for about $60. Boom truck set them over our fence. Cut pieces to length with an electric chainsaw.

Have not looked for years. EAB restrictions may also have interfered with deliveries.

Philbert
Here they have relaxed the restrictions. Years ago we had a form we would fill out as to where the wood was cut and where it was going. 50 mile radius restriction. I got stopped a couple of times by DEP . Now I just drive by them . EAB is pretty much statewide. Here is the next one I'll be felling. It's in my backyard been dying for 3 or 4 years this year only had a few branches with leaves and the bark is starting to peel 10'5" at the base20200103_112105.jpg 20200103_112618.jpg

Here they have relaxed the restrictions. Years ago we had a form we would fill out as to where the wood was cut and where it was going. 50 mile radius restriction. I got stopped a couple of times by DEP . No I just drive by them . EAB is pretty much statewide. Here is the next one I'll be felling. It's in my backyard been dying for 3 or 4 years this year only had a few branches with leaves and the bark is starting to peel 10'5" at the baseView attachment 785065 View attachment 785066
The EAB is statewide in PA and they are cutting all mature trees in the state forests to combat them. I have a triaxle load from the local state forest that was cut for that very reason.

Around here, the spotted lattern fly will be my limiting factor...but they have spread like wildfire and this warmer than usual winter will probably help that along.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I go to Carmel often . My mom lives there I have access to non ethonal high test. If you got a couple of 5 gallon cans I could get some for ya.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not having any problems with what I'm using.

Nice car, if you ever bring that down to Carmel I'd like to see it. An old friend of mine in Peekskill still has his 69 396 Chevelle, but the engine got tired and he replaced it with a 496! He also has a 69 Big Block Camaro and a 67 Big Block Vette (original 427 replaced with a 454).

Ellenville is nice, my Scout Master used to have a place up there, and we used to go camping up there (the whole Troop). The land is still in the Family name (lots of them now).

I have 50 acres (Mountain Top) overlooking the Cannonsville Reservoir near Hancock. It is 2 mi in on a 4wd road and off the grid.

Latest posts

Back