Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day fellas, we're off in a couple of hours. There was a community meeting last night which painted a potentially disastrous picture. All the important emergency services people have sent their families away already. All quiet now at 4.45am but we're not hanging around for when the January dragon wakes up. We're heading to Melbourne to my parents house there (the house I grew up in) and providing the fires miss us, we'll come back up tomorrow when there should be at least some rain. Some people are going to die in these fires today but not us. I spent 7 hours after work yesterday doing a final clean up - most of that work I do each year before fire season starts but even so, I managed to fill the trailer with combustible stuff (admittedly from a wide area) that doesn't need to be in the fire path.

In packing things up, it's funny how much stuff you decide you really don't need. We are taking both vehicles down but probably won't fill them both fully with stuff. I do have my 3 saws, and we have packed items that are smallish but expensive that we would have to replace and a few keepsakes. We probably have more stuff relating to the kids with their bits and pieces and comfort items. I did find my grandfather's account of his war service which was important. It is a copy of the original but my father now can't find the original so we'll have that at least. Hopefully the house will stihl be here when we get back.

My other grandfather's 1969 Holden Premier had a trip into town on a tow truck yesterday, safer down there than at our place. Work can then start on it to get it up and running again, been meaning to do that anyway.

Boonie 3rd Jan 1.jpg

Should know by later tonight how it all panned out.

G'day fellas, we're off in a couple of hours. There was a community meeting last night which painted a potentially disastrous picture. All the important emergency services people have sent their families away already. All quiet now at 4.45am but we're not hanging around for when the January dragon wakes up. We're heading to Melbourne to my parents house there (the house I grew up in) and providing the fires miss us, we'll come back up tomorrow when there should be at least some rain. Some people are going to die in these fires today but not us. I spent 7 hours after work yesterday doing a final clean up - most of that work I do each year before fire season starts but even so, I managed to fill the trailer with combustible stuff (admittedly from a wide area) that doesn't need to be in the fire path.

In packing things up, it's funny how much stuff you decide you really don't need. We are taking both vehicles down but probably won't fill them both fully with stuff. I do have my 3 saws, and we have packed items that are smallish but expensive that we would have to replace and a few keepsakes. We probably have more stuff relating to the kids with their bits and pieces and comfort items. I did find my grandfather's account of his war service which was important. It is a copy of the original but my father now can't find the original so we'll have that at least. Hopefully the house will stihl be here when we get back.

My other grandfather's 1969 Holden Premier had a trip into town on a tow truck yesterday, safer down there than at our place. Work can then start on it to get it up and running again, been meaning to do that anyway.

View attachment 785071

Wishing you the best with everything. If we could send you some snow I would.

View attachment 785071

Be safe as you can Cowboy. Prayers for you and the family and everyone else down under.

G'day fellas, we're off in a couple of hours.
Wishing you the best.

Not to make light of your situation, but ironic how a guy we know best for finding trees to burn, is now facing this hazard. Have authorities given any advice about clearing vegetation from around homes, or is this just so overwhelming that it would not make a difference?

Philbert

Wishing you the best.

Not to make light of your situation, but ironic how a guy we know best for finding trees to burn, is now facing this hazard. Have authorities given any advice about clearing vegetation from around homes, or is this just so overwhelming that it would not make a difference?

Philbert

Thanks everyone.

Yes, there is advice available for vegetation clearing, within environmental limits. I've ignored those limits when it comes to the more combustible native trees in the direction of greatest danger of fire. If we get a firestorm then it probably won't make much difference but otherwise our place is as well prepared as I can reasonably make it.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not having any problems with what I'm using.

Nice car, if you ever bring that down to Carmel I'd like to see it. An old friend of mine in Peekskill still has his 69 396 Chevelle, but the engine got tired and he replaced it with a 496! He also has a 69 Big Block Camaro and a 67 Big Block Vette (original 427 replaced with a 454).

Ellenville is nice, my Scout Master used to have a place up there, and we used to go camping up there (the whole Troop). The land is still in the Family name (lots of them now).

I have 50 acres (Mountain Top) overlooking the Cannonsville Reservoir near Hancock. It is 2 mi in on a 4wd road and off the grid.

I have the original engine, trans and rear set aside in my garage. Replaced the motor with a Mark Jones 496 570 hp , auto gear super case m22 and a ford nine inch rear . I've owned the car since 1984.

Thanks everyone.

Yes, there is advice available for vegetation clearing, within environmental limits. I've ignored those limits when it comes to the more combustible native trees in the direction of greatest danger of fire. If we get a firestorm then it probably won't make much difference but otherwise our place is as well prepared as I can reasonably make it.
Prayers sent.

30 years ago, we could get strapped bundles, the size of a mid-sized car, delivered in the city for about $60. Boom truck set them over our fence. Cut pieces to length with an electric chainsaw.

Have not looked for years. EAB restrictions may also have interfered with deliveries.

Philbert
One of the mills on the way to my place in WV still do that. It looks like they are true, full size cords. I would be real hard put to get one on my one cord trailer.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not having any problems with what I'm using.

Nice car, if you ever bring that down to Carmel I'd like to see it. An old friend of mine in Peekskill still has his 69 396 Chevelle, but the engine got tired and he replaced it with a 496! He also has a 69 Big Block Camaro and a 67 Big Block Vette (original 427 replaced with a 454).

Ellenville is nice, my Scout Master used to have a place up there, and we used to go camping up there (the whole Troop). The land is still in the Family name (lots of them now).

I have 50 acres (Mountain Top) overlooking the Cannonsville Reservoir near Hancock. It is 2 mi in on a 4wd road and off the grid.
Fiquered a better picture is in order20180731_212007.jpg 20180731_211855.jpg

Figured you guys would want to see my red headed step child lose her virginity in some of my hardwood[emoji1787]. Thanks Chipper1 for letting me adopt your untouched redhead.

Man thats messed up.[emoji51]

Set to 13,000 out of the wood right now. Will turn it up a tad after a few more heat cycles. For what it is I think It did pretty darn good in hardwood (red oak i think) I’m pretty excited to see how it does after the 2172 conversion. Then it will go to Kevin to get her holes blowed out a bit....[emoji1787].

New 24”bar and new chain as well

(And she is already warmed up before the video)

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

When you pull out a saw that you haven’t used in a while:
View attachment 785190

I haven’t used this saw since August of 18’. Will fire it up next time I need wood. For those that haven’t seen this one, I did a Swiss cheese job on the muffler and retune. It cuts much faster than stock.
View attachment 785192

And as soon as you start cutting you say “why did i put you away, your fun!”

[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Back