Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering a longer bar for the 8500. Should I go 28” or 32”?

Unless you really need 32+ inches, I wouldn't go over a 28" on the 8500. I'm sure it can pull the larger bars easily enough, but it won't balance well over 28". My 5200 wears the original 30" bar and it's a bit nose heavy. My 5400 with a 28" bar and is pretty much perfect. Both have flush handles. A full wrap might help with the balance of a larger bar, but I've never been lucky enough to find one.

Unless you really need 32+ inches, I wouldn't go over a 28" on the 8500. I'm sure it can pull the larger bars easily enough, but it won't balance well over 28". My 5200 wears the original 30" bar and it's a bit nose heavy. My 5400 with a 28" bar and is pretty much perfect. Both have flush handles. A full wrap might help with the balance of a larger bar, but I've never been lucky enough to find one.
I’m buying a 28” from Redbull660, saw should look great wearing a Tsumura.

Hi all,

New guy here and not sure if I'm posting this on the right spot. Let me know if I should be posting elsewhere.
Just obtained an ancient Poulan 54 in good shape. Two questions:
I need a chain tensioner for it as the original it's damaged. Any ideas on where I could find one? I will make one of I can't find an original.
Is it possible to convert to a usable pitch as this one is the .5? I figure a sprocket change would do the trick.

Thanks!

Hi all,

New guy here and not sure if I'm posting this on the right spot. Let me know if I should be posting elsewhere.
Just obtained an ancient Poulan 54 in good shape. Two questions:
I need a chain tensioner for it as the original it's damaged. Any ideas on where I could find one? I will make one of I can't find an original.
Is it possible to convert to a usable pitch as this one is the .5? I figure a sprocket change would do the trick.

Thanks!

Which style adjuster are you talking about? For a straight bar/plate bow or a cast aluminum? Both styles are hard to find. The steel adjusters for the cast bow mounts are not hard to reproduce if your handy at metal working. I have done a couple.

Yes it is possible to convert to .404 but a Poulan reduction .404 sprocket is hard to find, Poulan didn't make many reduction drive saws with .404. 4834 is the Poulan part number for the .404 sprocket. Good luck in your search.

Hello all I just put new piston and jug into a plastic 4218. How do I go about breaking it in. Also I'm heading out of town for a while so how long can I let it sit if I just put it together and never fire it up. Thank you

Hello all I just put new piston and jug into a plastic 4218. How do I go about breaking it in. Also I'm heading out of town for a while so how long can I let it sit if I just put it together and never fire it up. Thank you

All the ones I have done I just take them out and run them like any other saw.
Letting it sit for awhile will not hurt it.

Which style adjuster are you talking about? For a straight bar/plate bow or a cast aluminum? Both styles are hard to find. The steel adjusters for the cast bow mounts are not hard to reproduce if your handy at metal working. I have done a couple.

Yes it is possible to convert to .404 but a Poulan reduction .404 sprocket is hard to find, Poulan didn't make many reduction drive saws with .404. 4834 is the Poulan part number for the .404 sprocket. Good luck in your search.
I guess it would be helpful to add that the bar is of the straight variety. Not the bow bar! Ill take a look for the sprocket but any assistance on the tensioner would be great! Part number 1024 cast aluminum tensioner. Thanks

Letting sit for 24 hours won't hurt, give the sealant sometime to cure out.

Steve Sidwell

Latest posts

Back