Chainsaw related pet peeve‘s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if husky changed the name from “rancher”to “ranch boss” if they would sell more of them....[emoji3166]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

My first saw was a 450 rancher. It was a good little saw for sure. Sometimes I miss it...but then my other console me and I’m ok

Why 'Depth Gauges' versus 'Rakers' is a Pet Peeve of Mine

Much easier to discuss / explain cutting and sharpening problems with a guy when his depth gauges are not set right. ' Rakers' make no sense in this context.

I put this slide together for a training class.

Philbert

View attachment 784574

All about education sir.

I’ve often called them rakers and obviously that is not correct.[emoji16]

Ill try to be better about it for everyones sanity.

Rakers in my world for well over 40 years until the Anal Annie's got a hold of it.

Dog does not equal dawg

but raker does equal depth gauge

:baaa: :chainsaw::chainsaw:

slang is usually developed from those "in the biz" at the field level. Which, in a way makes it more legitimate.

"dog" is simply a misnomer for dawg

Dog does not equal dawg . . . "dog" is simply a misnomer for dawg
I assumed that we call them dogs (or 'dawgs' down South), because they 'bite' into the wood.

Philbert

'In engineering, a dog is a tool or part of a tool that prevents movement or imparts movement by offering physical obstruction or engagement of some kind. It may hold another object in place by blocking it, clamping it, or otherwise obstructing its movement. . . . This word usage is a metaphor derived from the idea of a dog (animal) biting and holding on, the "dog" name derived from the basic idea of how a dog jaw locks on, by the movement of the jaw, or by the presence of many teeth.' (Wikipedia)

I call them rakers because if I said "depth gauges" no one would know what I was talking about. But I get your point.

I hate it when the dealer treats you like a moron:
"no no, you HAVE to file a 3/8 chain with a 13/64 file"
"filing the gullet is useless"
"the stihl 2 in 1 file is objectively superior to using a handfile"
"this is the only bar oil that works"
"this is the only 2 stroke oil that works"
"you dont need that bar, im not ordering it for you"
"this saw is just as good as that saw"
"i have never heard of that part/model/tool/chain type"
"it's impossible to get wrap handle bars outside of America"
"you cannot split hardwood without a €2000 hydraulic splitter"

I also hate people on facebook groups who participate in brand wars.

It isn't that unreasonable of a question. Do you use one for freeing the other one if it gets stuck, or one for felling, one for limbing/bucking, or one for topping, one for ground work?
We never put 3-4 man crews on a job without 10-12 saws on the truck. If I'm cutting dead standing firewood I usually have 4 saws. The little 170 for any limbing, the 290 for stuff up to 118-20", the 660 with a 25" and a Super 1050 with a 36 or 45" for felling. I don't like notching and fellinf from both sides when I have a bar that can do it from one side.

While I don't always bring 4 saws out to cut, I like to have a backup or two. The other night I hauled my new 298 and my proven 045 down to a pile of logs I was planning to buck up and the doggone 298 wouldn't start. As I'd brought down a 2nd saw, I was able to just fire up my 045 and buck up all the wood in the last little bit of daylight remaining. As an added bonus, I found out just how great an 045 with a 36 inch bar is in bigger wood.

(I like 'raker' better than 'drag', but don't tell anybody!)

Philbert
Dang you, I just read this whole post straight through and was going to say, "We always called them Drag teeth". Drag teeth, drag teeth! A lot of things are regional, generational, or professional. Virtually all of our work was done in Potomac MD. The highest of high end residential. Linda Carter, Sugar Ray , Moe Howard. We never bought a bucket truck because most residential removals are in the yard, and there was no way you could drive across some one's multi million dollar estate. Now they do. Anyway, here's a regional. If we had to rope a tree down in small pieces we either said "Limbed it out" or Roped it out", I've heard a lot of guys say "Dismantled". We often could not drop or throw a log across a manicured lawn, so we would dig up one big Azalea, the climber would cut one firewood size "Block", and drop it in the hole from the moved plant. So, we blocked it down. Guys here told me I didn't block the tree down, I "Chunked" it down. "Blocking" meant you used a block and tackle, and "Rigged" it down. If we had to use a block and tackle, we would just get a crane and reach across the yard from the street. Like the "Power Saw" thing earlier. I've heard and used the term ever since. I don't know if I ever made a conscious switch to "Chainsaw", or just gradually did it searching for saws.Plus, I've heard a lot of guys from down under that don't call them power saws, or chainsaws, They refer to them as Machines. I've heard the West Coast guy refer to things differently from East Coast guys. I try not to let terminology get on my pet peeve list.

I think my pet peeve here on AS is when a noob with an 18" dull Wild Thing ask's for advice taking down a 30" tree, and a dozen people tell him "You can do it". "You can cut half the notch from one side, then get the other half from the other side, and same thing with the back cut". Looking at the fuzzy pic the noob gives my opinion might be a deep, open notch and a real fast back cut with a 36" bar on a 100CC saw, with a razor sharp chain(blade). If you don't know the person, his equipment, it's condition, and his ability to use it, you can't give advice on something potentially dangerous. To the credit of a lot of guys, their first advice is, "Just pay the tree guy".

My other peeve is the guys that say their brand new chain won't cut, it's bad, factory defect, cut's crooked, and then post a pic of the chain and it looks like they cut my sidewalk in half. Then when you call them on it, they say I may have used it once, but didn't hit anything.

Oh Well, like someone here said, we were all new once, except me, I was born old and grumpy.

I not a noob by any stretch but I’m also not a professional I have been heating my house for 10 years with wood that I have cut and hauled myself some standing timber some tops after pros have cut the lot. I have never paid for wood but usually give land owner a $100 gift card after I finish cleaning up their lot. I was lucky to grow up with a grandfather who was a part time timber cutter in his own wood lot plus sawed and hauled for neighbors and friends he even had his own mill for 20-30 years I could run the edger at 10 years old.
I had a great teacher except for the fact that he loved felling so much that I didn’t get to do it a lot until he physically could not do it anymore then it was just doing what he told me to do I didn’t always know why. I know that I had a teacher who knew what he was doing I feel bad for those who go buy a saw and think how hard can it be. Couple years ago a buddy who had decided to get a outdoor furnace bought a chain saw and started cutting wood they showed him where to put gas and bar oil and how to adjust chain tension. After two years he got a second saw and junked the first two years later he was asking me how long my saws lasted he thought two years was not long enough. Not picking up on his problem I questioned him on his brand and model then I asked him what saw was doing that he thought it was junk after two years. To make a long story short he never had anyone tell him he needed to sharpen or replace chain when it got dull I almost fell of my lawn chair when I figured this out told him bring it over and I would sharpen it for him no chance of saving chain or bar I bet a bead chain toy would have cut better than that thing it’s a wonder he didn’t catch the wood on fire. After all that I have two peeves:
1 people who don’t think they need advice or help getting started.
Or 2 people who see a problem and don’t try to help/educate the offenders.
I know some people are untrainable it’s a fact.
Shawn

My first saw was a 450 rancher. It was a good little saw for sure. Sometimes I miss it...but then my other console me and I’m ok

My first saw was a Husky 460(for some reason it does not say Rancher anywhere on it?), I still have it, love it, and won't part with it as it was my first saw, but the 372 outclasses it by a fair bit.

I heard the farm boss story a few days ago.

Went like this

“ my buddy has this HUGE saw He let me try it out and it has gobs of power! I think it was called “somthing” Boss.

I said “maybe a Farm Boss?”

“Yup, thats it!” Farm boss! Dude it had so much power i had to back out of the throttle a bit.

[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

Could loan him your new one. Maybe change his perspective :p

Oh gosh, again today from a different person I heard the “farm boss” story

Guy was telling me how he has an MS 180 that he uses frequently but he also has a “big saw” that cuts faster than heck, “i mean that thing CUTS” he say...

i said “what is it”

“its one of them farm bosses”

i see......

Back