Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took me a minute to figure this one out SVK. I assume you meant to comment on the picture of the coyote that Plowboy posted and not mine of the Amish sawmills. I thought that yeah I'm not really a fan of some Amish but I don't think I would shoot them all.
I had that same thought. I didn't think Steve had a violent streak in him?

Actually, every time I have fun with a saw and put it away, I say, "why did I put that was away, now I can't find it".

Our house was built in 87 and all of the tape on the drywall in the garage is starting to fall off. My wife has been moving redoing it higher and higher on the to do list. I said I was going to just screw plywood over the old drywall and I wouldn't have to tape it. I figured if I wanted to hang something light on it I wouldn't have to worry about finding a stud. While I'm at it I'm going to put up 18" steel brackets and 2" thick live edge Oak shelves all the way around. I'll have a Homelite wall, Mac wall, Poulan wall, and on one side of the garage door a David Bradly wall, and on the other side a Lombard wall. I guess the Stihls will still have to go under the Barracuda on the floor?
If its an attached garage plywood isn't a good idea. Here it needs to be 5/8 firecode sheet rock. Slows down a fire spreading into the house. Plywood would be adding kindling to it.

If its an attached garage plywood isn't a good idea. Here it needs to be 5/8 firecode sheet rock. Slows down a fire spreading into the house. Plywood would be adding kindling to it.
Yep, I called my BIL, he's a biulding contractor, and he said the same thing. I was going to put the plywood over the existing sheet rock and thought I'd be OK, but he said he didn't think that wood float. After I got to cleaning up, it's not as bad as I thought. My other BIL is an electrician and he has a dry wall buddy that he said would probably retape and mud the ceiling for $100 and a six pack. The guys nick name is six pack. I just hate painting, but a couple gallons of paint will be a lot cheaper than all the plywood.

In the late 50’s my grandfather and great uncle logged our family land with a Homelite. That saw is lost to time but today I picked up a 7-19 that was a likely model for them to have used.

When we start logging the property again I’ll drop the first tree with this saw.

View attachment 785460
That looks a lot like my old 7-29, made 56-57. I sent it to a good home in Australia, but, sometimes I wish I had kept it. If I ever find another I won't let it get away.

jO9637p.jpg

Yep, I called my BIL, he's a biulding contractor, and he said the same thing. I was going to put the plywood over the existing sheet rock and thought I'd be OK . . .
Plywood would be an expense, but I don't think it would violate fire code (or good practice). The sheet rock would still be between your garage and adjacent spaces. My understanding is that an underlayment of sheet rock (dry wall, gypsum board, etc.) is required when installing wood paneling in a residence. The wood should not contribute to fire spread if flush against the sheet rock, but possibly (?) could if furred out a few inches, allowing air behind it.

Philbert

I got about half of one wall pulled out into the middle of the garage and cleanded out all of the leaves and spider webs. My wife got me 2 wood cabinets with five slots on the bottom, a drawer in the middle, and a shelf on top for chargers, I got one hung and slid some DeWalts in the slots, the other one is going in the shop downstairs. Then I got four heavy shelf brackets up, I need two more. I was just getting ready to go get one of my 7 1/2' by 2 1/2" live edge slabs for the shelf, and it started raining again. I have to rip one edge off square to go against the wall then run it through the 32" sander, and I wanted to do that out in the yard. I think I'm going to put a thick layer of poly on it to make it easier to dust. I plan on this shelf being the Echo shelf, so I started looking for Echos. I found my CS305, the plastic piece that holds the top handle on cracked, so I need to replace it. Then I found a 500VL, it's been on the shelf for about two years and started right up. For a 50CC saw that bugger revs up. I might take it to the Ash Hole the next time I go. I have a 650EVL that looks brand new, I think someone straight gassed the very first tank, and a 750EVL with a bad ignition. That's all for today.

I was the first in my family to have/use a chainsaw, and did not get one till I was almost 30.

Before that, my Uncle and I used to make several trips up to the hunting cabin (his, and a friend of his also had one) and we would cut and split all the wood by hand, dragging small dead logs + branches out by hand. If you could find something 4-6" in diameter and cut it about 15' long, that was great stuff! We had bow saws, a saw horse, and a maul and got it all done for years!

Both cabins had one stove for heat (nothing air tight or fancy, you got up in the middle of the night to feed it) and another antique cooking stove that required much smaller wood.

Plywood would be an expense, but I don't think it would violate fire code (or good practice). The sheet rock would still be between your garage and adjacent spaces. My understanding is that an underlayment of sheet rock (dry wall, gypsum board, etc.) is required when installing wood paneling in a residence. The wood should not contribute to fire spread if flush against the sheet rock, but possibly (?) could if furred out a few inches, allowing air behind it.

Philbert
Wasn't going to use any furring, just long deck screws. Besides hating to tape and mud drywall, my thought process was, the wood would hold small hooks and stuff without hitting a stud. I hung my ax rack on drywall and it started to pull out, so I found studs behind the rack that covered the holes in the drywall and rehung it.
GHQLX5Z.jpg

1/4/2020 3:58:17 PM CST Demand High On On On On 179.9°F 1654°F 1h 37m

Think this is the all time hottest temp I have seen in the reaction chamber of my OWB. Loaded it with sugar maple and 1 stick of birch this AM. Sugar maple burns way hotter than oak in my OWB.

Looks like like the scroungers prayers and kind thoughts worked, we're ok back home by the look of it. The wind change came a bit earlier than forecast and we didn't get the dry thunderstorms that were expected to cause a problem. Raining in Melbourne now and the rain should arrive back home soon. The main highway between here and home was cut by fire a couple of hours after we drove down but the northbound lanes are now open so no problems getting home. Only a couple of months worth of this shyte left now :crazy2:

Looks like like the scroungers prayers and kind thoughts worked, we're ok back home by the look of it. The wind change came a bit earlier than forecast and we didn't get the dry thunderstorms that were expected to cause a problem. Raining in Melbourne now and the rain should arrive back home soon. The main highway between here and home was cut by fire a couple of hours after we drove down but the northbound lanes are now open so no problems getting home. Only a couple of months worth of this shyte left now :crazy2:
:happy::happy::happy:Great to hear. Hope things settle down Cowboy.

happy to hear your house made it through the night!

Good to hear man!

I have a friend that lives in California and his area is the one that is always threatened by fires basically every year. He’s about ready to move

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Back