McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a blue model McCulloch made in 10 series listed on a reference site but I can't remember the model.
With saws there definitely seems to be a Chevy vs ford mentality, I don't have too much brand loyalty all I know is what has given me fits and whats worked well , so far McCulloch is at the top of my list .
I've been quick to judge certain saws in the past but most of that has changed with experience, except for anything with a computer in it , I will never sacrifice freedom from a screwdriver for convenience.

There is some discussion if the blue 7-10 power head may have been this one used by Target. Mark posted this pic of a Belgian cutoff saw in 2016 on another site.

7-10 cut off saw.jpg

The 10-10S is an electronic ignition saw.It sounds like the typical symptom of an electronic ignition module beginning to break down.I would not rule out a fuel system problem however.It's difficult to comprehend at times,but an electronic issue can mimick a fuel system problem & vice versa.Check your fuel line to make sure it's still good & also it probably wouldn't hurt if you haven't changed out the fuel filter lately (or at all) to do so & go from there.If you have another module to put on from any 10 series electronic ignition saw then you'll find out quickly that it's the module.A new module will typically run from $45 - $60.Please don't buy off Ebay as their prices are typically inflated.
Ed
Ed,
Rebuilt the carb on the 10-10s today. Split the tank and checked fuel line. All fuel areas appear OK. No trash in carb and pretty clean. Someone has been into the saw because the tank was sealed with silicone and no gasket. That was fun to remove and clean up. I need to order a tank gasket, and some sealer for the tank. I think I should order an ignition module as well. Should I get a cork gasket or the viton? Suggestion for sealer? I plan to just use sealer for the airbox area. Any thoughts? BTW, the piston looks good.
Ed

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you've had some fun.As for the tank gasket one material is as good as the other from what I've heard.I'd actually use buna myself.As for a sealer,you don't need to use a sealer on the fuel tank,it should seal by using the gasket material by itself,but in the rare event that it doesn't seal I've heard of guys using Yamabond.
As for a sealer for the air box I went to my local hardware store last yr.& bought a box of putty-like material that people use for sealing air leaks around the house.It's fairly cheap & it's easy to work with & it doesn't get gooey on your hands.
It sounds like you've got your fuel system pretty much eliminated from the picture,so it sounds like you've got it narrowed down to the electrical.Check the plug wire as they've been known to go bad.Also,check your switch & kill wire.Finally,check your air gap between the module & flywheel,it should be set at around .012.Don't forget to have a known good plug in the saw.If everything checks out & there's no other factors involved,I'd say your module is dying & to get a new one.I checked Ebay & they want $69-$85+ for a new one.There are a few used ones,but who knows how long they'll last?
Bob Johnson has new ones for around $45 + shipping,his # 607-638-9297.He's open tomorrow from 9L30 - noon.
Ed

Ed,
Rebuilt the carb on the 10-10s today. Split the tank and checked fuel line. All fuel areas appear OK. No trash in carb and pretty clean. Someone has been into the saw because the tank was sealed with silicone and no gasket. That was fun to remove and clean up. I need to order a tank gasket, and some sealer for the tank. I think I should order an ignition module as well. Should I get a cork gasket or the viton? Suggestion for sealer? I plan to just use sealer for the airbox area. Any thoughts? BTW, the piston looks good.
Ed

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
I just replaced the tank seal on a PM700. I would recommend going with the Viton seal, Viton is better than cork and Buna, the cork gaskets shrink/roll up, or at least mine did, and Viton has the same characteristics of Buna but more abrasion and UV resistant although in this situation it wont need it. I have a Viton I will be using on a PM555 and used a cork on the PM700 but had a heck of a time getting it to seal up even using Hylomar Blue (which a lot of people mistake for blue silicone) by the way acetone is the best thing to remove it. To be fair about the cork gasket though I was fighting an additional problem with my saw because I believe someone had taken it apart and tried to paint it without preparing it correctly and the paint was allowing air under it so I had to take a razor and score a line on the outside area of the seal and remove the paint from the area where the seal sits. As far as around the air box I used double sided closed cell foam and cut it into narrow strips and once my top half was on I just trimmed along the inside with a razor to remove the excess and it sealed the air box up nicely.

Make sure when putting on the top half and before tightening the screws down that the spring for the trigger isn't in the way of the top half being able to go all the way down. The tang on the spring on mine kept getting in the way and it took me a min to figure out what was happening.

This was my first time trying Hylomar Blue and I have read that Hylomar M is suppose to be better, while it has a cult following I did order some 1184 to try next time and see which I prefer.

Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion and in no way reflect an intelligent thought.

View attachment 785398

View attachment 785399

Super crusty PM 55 I picked up yesterday. Came from a small engine shop that had zero interest in old macs. Figured it would be good for parts. But when compression and spark checked good I couldn’t resist throwing fresh mix in the tank and giving her a pull.

Haha ol' Crusty has got some bark too her!
See now having a mac in that kind of condition opens up a whole world of custom decor! Make that girl feel special.

Haha ol' Crusty has got some bark too her!
See now having a mac in that kind of condition opens up a whole world of custom decor! Make that girl feel special.

Tossed an old bar and chain on it for a photo op. Then I put it over with the “working” saws.
Not even gonna wipe the dirt off lol.

C7502751-6B54-43B3-BCEF-D6927C4B2406.jpeg

I don't think it'll be too much longer before you'll have to replace the rings,118 psi isn't a whole lot of compression even on a piston ported saw.I was surprised how well it fired up.
Ed
Yeah it won’t start with the decomp pushed in. I’d like to see more psi, but for a scrap pile saw I can’t complain. :) I’ll get to it after I’m done with the pro 10-10A and pm700. But for now I’ll just sharpen the chain and keep it with the work saws as a convo piece.

Beautiful (and pretty rare) saw all things considered. Also gotta consider who "pieced it together".
I agree, and I am sure it runs and cuts great. I guess I just feel like the prices are out of control. The prices have driven me away from Mcculloch and toward Homelite. They are still mostly attainable lol.

Ebay prices reflect what any particular market will bear. Clearly meant for a whole different crowd than guys like us. And the price discrepancy between Mac and Homelite simply reflects supply and demand and is also largely a regional thing based on their respective footprints in the glory days. My area was saturated with both so I can take my pick of good deals. Would still buy an old 10-10 over an old XL any day. Homelite wins when it comes to available variety though. They just don't float my boat like the Macs.

Ebay prices reflect what any particular market will bear. Clearly meant for a whole different crowd than guys like us. And the price discrepancy between Mac and Homelite simply reflects supply and demand and is also largely a regional thing based on their respective footprints in the glory days. My area was saturated with both so I can take my pick of good deals. Would still buy an old 10-10 over an old XL any day. Homelite wins when it comes to available variety though. They just don't float my boat like the Macs.
Apparently this area was Homelite country. I see 10 Homelites for sale for every Mac. My heart still lies with Mac but the lack of local availability combined with Ebay prices plus the cost of shipping puts them mostly out of reach for me. I would love an 82cc 10 series but cant justify $700-900 plus shipping for one. I thought I did decent with my 7-10 but we all know how that ended up lol. I need to revisit that, I wont let it beat me.

Apparently this area was Homelite country. I see 10 Homelites for sale for every Mac. My heart still lies with Mac but the lack of local availability combined with Ebay prices plus the cost of shipping puts them mostly out of reach for me. I would love an 82cc 10 series but cant justify $700-900 plus shipping for one. I thought I did decent with my 7-10 but we all know how that ended up lol. I need to revisit that, I wont let it beat me.

Im pretty much in the same boat . I figured alot of guys after the 70s just didn't need anything bigger than a 70cc saw in the Southeast( pulp wood and fence post production mostly). Finding an 80cc mac has proven difficult.
Bow bars !!! Though are thrown about, I've acquired 4 by accident mac,homelite and poulan.
3 are pretty nice too, maybe some one wants them for a 80cc McCulloch trade?
When I went to Pennsylvania for Christmas I immediately started looking for big macs and bought a pretty decent 1-60 gear drive for 100$ , but Pennsylvania is know for extremely hard wood and hard workers in the past. Most of the logging was done on a hill or mountain side.

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

The nasty weather Mark predicted arrived. It didn't keep Brian from taking his 805 to the two trees from last Saturday. Me - I stayed home and drilled holes in metal all day. I swear I think I could fall two 3' DBH trees in the time it takes to me to drill a 3/4" hole in steel. Not sure if I am getting wimpier or wiser in my old age, but I would rather take on a leaning 3' DBH Oak with a MAC then drill a 1/2" hole in steel with my corded gear reduction Makita. That drill can put a hurting on you in the bat of an eye.

As I scratched around for a MAC picture, I remembered my MAC Christmas Tree of years past. About half the limbs have since been replaced. Hope you all enjoyed the Holidays.

MAC Tree 3.jpg

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

Im pretty much in the same boat . I figured alot of guys after the 70s just didn't need anything bigger than a 70cc saw in the Southeast( pulp wood and fence post production mostly). Finding an 80cc mac has proven difficult.
Bow bars !!! Though are thrown about, I've acquired 4 by accident mac,homelite and poulan.
3 are pretty nice too, maybe some one wants them for a 80cc McCulloch trade?
When I went to Pennsylvania for Christmas I immediately started looking for big macs and bought a pretty decent 1-60 gear drive for 100$ , but Pennsylvania is know for extremely hard wood and hard workers in the past. Most of the logging was done on a hill or mountain side.
I see mostly McCinderblocks and mini Macs around here with the occasional 10-10 thrown in. I've only seen 1 7-10 and a PM700 for sale here locally. My 7-10 came from Mark halfway across the country as did my 1-86. My 1-52, 440, and one of my 10-10s where local. Even the Homelites I see mostly super EZs and XL12s/super XLs

Latest posts

Back