stihl 039 bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderson3754

Playing the ultimate game every day
Reaction score
Picked up a nice Stihl 039 saw with a 20 inch Stihl bar, at .325 x .063. My question is why would this bar have the green icon near the front of the bar indicating the use of a anti-kick back chain ?? Is this a recommendation, or actually a anti-kickback style bar??

Regards

I don't know about the green icon you describe, but I run 3/8 pitch x .050 on my 039. I think Stihl pretty much encourages low kickback chain on all homeowner saws. You can use either low kickback or not, so long as the pitch, gauge, and number of drive links match. Someone will chime in with better information.

I don't know about the green icon you describe, but I run 3/8 pitch x .050 on my 039. I think Stihl pretty much encourages low kickback chain on all homeowner saws. You can use either low kickback or not, so long as the pitch, gauge, and number of drive links match. Someone will chime in with better information.

Yes I'm with ya on that one. All my chains are the yellow version. I just don't recall seeing a 20 inch green Icon on a Stihl bar. It looks like that little gear you see spinning around, when your computer is thinking[

Several of my commercial customers still prefer .325" pitch chains with their Stihl 039 and 390 saws, all running 20" bars. I constructed at least 20 replacement loops of it last year.

I like the .325 chain for what I do. They cut nice, less vibration, less tendency to yank a branch into your face after the tree is down when walking along side wacking the limbs off.

Latest posts

Back