Help Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don3118

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a Husqvarna 365 or a Stihl MS 362... with a 20 inch bar. Some comparisons from users would be greatly appreciated. I am in the woods in Wisconsin all winter. I will be cutting a variety of different trees. Oak,Maple, Pine, Ash mostly.

My biggest question is this 70cc at 9600 RPM with the 365 or 59cc at 14,000 rpm. how does this figure into decision making?? Any explanation would help. Is there any replacement for displacement ?

the original Husqvarna 365, is 65 cc's the newer x-torc model is 71cc both can be modified ae: larger top end or modifying of the strat-o plates , not sure on the stihl it is 59cc's i believe, the husqvarna 365 can also be had in red trim on e-bay as a jonsered 2166.

the original Husqvarna 365, is 65 cc's the newer x-torc model is 71cc both can be modified ae: larger top end or modifying of the strat-o plates , not sure on the stihl it is 59cc's i believe, the husqvarna 365 can also be had in red trim on e-bay as a jonsered 2166.
Or from a trusted member :rolleyes:.
My biggest question is this 70cc at 9600 RPM with the 365 or 59cc at 14,000 rpm. how does this figure into decision making?? Any explanation would help. Is there any replacement for displacement ?
The 362 is a good bit lighter than the 365 whether it's the newer xtorq version or the earlier 65cc 365 oe version.
The specs you're looking at are two different specs, one is max rpms ie the 14k, the other is max power ie 9.6k.
If I was cutting smaller wood I would choose the 362, if I was cutting larger wood I'd choose the 365 as it has more torque and the ability to oil a larger bar if needed.
To give a good answer to your question we need to know how you plan to use it, will you be bucking/felling 24" logs.
Another consideration is do you need dealer support or do you plan to do all your own maintenance and repairs, stihl parts are more difficult to get online.
Here's a jred 2166 which is the equivalent to the 365 xtorq with a 24" round filed chain in seasoned ash.

@pioneerguy600 wanna move this one too :D.

I suggest you run them both. Then decide. It's wonderful to have these GOOD choices available. I'd pick the one that got the job done, and didn't leave me as tired, or sore at the end of a hard day. Ymmv
N

Or from a trusted member :rolleyes:.

The 362 is a good bit lighter than the 365 whether it's the newer xtorq version or the earlier 65cc 365 oe version.
The specs you're looking at are two different specs, one is max rpms ie the 14k, the other is max power ie 9.6k.
If I was cutting smaller wood I would choose the 362, if I was cutting larger wood I'd choose the 365 as it has more torque and the ability to oil a larger bar if needed.
To give a good answer to your question we need to know how you plan to use it, will you be bucking/felling 24" logs.
Another consideration is do you need dealer support or do you plan to do all your own maintenance and repairs, stihl parts are more difficult to get online.
Here's a jred 2166 which is the equivalent to the 365 xtorq with a 24" round filed chain in seasoned ash.

@pioneerguy600 wanna move this one too :D.

Done.

One question we seldom ask the OP is about his skill level with saws. I grew up around them and take for granted that every one is just like me. Then I let a friend try my 660 with a 25" bar on it. He had run MS290's with 20" bars with no problem, never stuck them in the dirt, could read the way pressure was on a log and all bet never pinched one. Then he picked up the 660 and I thought he pooped his pants. Scared the devil out of him. Try not to talk some one into too much of a saw for a beginner, not saying the OP is a begginer, just sayin.

I am thinking of buying a Husqvarna 365 or a Stihl MS 362... with a 20 inch bar. Some comparisons from users would be greatly appreciated. I am in the woods in Wisconsin all winter. I will be cutting a variety of different trees. Oak,Maple, Pine, Ash mostly.

You need them both, one in each hand :cheers:

I have both. I haven't used them side by side. I like the feel and weight of the Stihl 362 better than the older husky 365 special. To me the 362 feels better balanced, lighter, and more comfortably set up for my body type.

However, I do like the heated handgrips on the husky when it's cold out.

2017 and newer maybe?
I think 2016 and newer are usually good to go.

My dates could be way off. Early versions had issues with the case leaking oil, erratic carb behavior, and hot start problems. I think Husky had addressed all that by 2017, but maybe earlier.

Mine is a 2014 el46 and runs great. Go figure.

In any case, I run all three of these saws and they’re all good.

362 is my least favorite, but I’m power hungry. I started with an Mtronic version but hated the hot start issues. I now run 2 standard carb 362s and they are very reliable. Great saws for firewood up to 20” diameter. Throttle response and torque aren’t impressive. They plod along reliably.

365 is the most affordable option, but you’re talking about 3 different saws. The original 365 is heavy and has similar issues to the ms362. The 365 Special is a snappier saw and will perform almost identically to a 372 until you hang a long bar on it. The modern 365 X-torq is a detuned 372 with a larger bore. It can be modded extremely easily to become a 372 x-torque (this is what you want if you want a bigger saw). I say it’s the most affordable because there are many available, lots of interchangeable and aftermarket parts and they have simpler technology that is easier for any mechanic to repair. They have the weight of a 70cc saw.

562xp is the ‘tweener. Not as much power as the 365, but far lighter and nimbler. The rev boost makes for nice throttle response, and the saw holds good RPM in the cut (for a 60cc saw). I like this saw for felling and climbing when making cuts in the 14-20” range. It’s less bulky compared to the 362 and cuts more aggressively. It has 2 down sides. It’s an Auto-tune saw, so maintenance and repairs can be annoying or expensive. The earlier models had hot start issues (I modded mine to address that). I hear newer models don’t have this issue (but I’m skeptical). This is the saw I reach for when doing technical work until the wood gets big. It feels faster and more accurate than the 362.

All great saws. 562 is my first pick, original 365 comes in last.

My dates could be way off. Early versions had issues with the case leaking oil, erratic carb behavior, and hot start problems. I think Husky had addressed all that by 2017, but maybe earlier.

You said 2017 and earlier in your first post, that was the main thing I was addressing ;).
Hope all is well out your way.

In any case, I run all three of these saws and they’re all good.

362 is my least favorite, but I’m power hungry. I started with an Mtronic version but hated the hot start issues. I now run 2 standard carb 362s and they are very reliable. Great saws for firewood up to 20” diameter. Throttle response and torque aren’t impressive. They plod along reliably.

365 is the most affordable option, but you’re talking about 3 different saws. The original 365 is heavy and has similar issues to the ms362. The 365 Special is a snappier saw and will perform almost identically to a 372 until you hang a long bar on it. The modern 365 X-torq is a detuned 372 with a larger bore. It can be modded extremely easily to become a 372 x-torque (this is what you want if you want a bigger saw). I say it’s the most affordable because there are many available, lots of interchangeable and aftermarket parts and they have simpler technology that is easier for any mechanic to repair. They have the weight of a 70cc saw.

562xp is the ‘tweener. Not as much power as the 365, but far lighter and nimbler. The rev boost makes for nice throttle response, and the saw holds good RPM in the cut (for a 60cc saw). I like this saw for felling and climbing when making cuts in the 14-20” range. It’s less bulky compared to the 362 and cuts more aggressively. It has 2 down sides. It’s an Auto-tune saw, so maintenance and repairs can be annoying or expensive. The earlier models had hot start issues (I modded mine to address that). I hear newer models don’t have this issue (but I’m skeptical). This is the saw I reach for when doing technical work until the wood gets big. It feels faster and more accurate than the 362.

All great saws. 562 is my first pick, original 365 comes in last.
Do you have a gen 1 or a gen 2 362?

Latest posts

Back