Saws that will be future classics - What to stock up on now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the late ‘70’s there’s was a Husqvarna 240SG all metal crankcase, handle, clutch cover. It’s a fantastic chainsaw. The heated handles was awesome. The cutting speed was just right. It had one nut clamping the clutch cover. It’s like a rolls royce to me.
Seen this one up for a couple days now, Not a 70s model, but still wish I was closer to pick this one up, be a nice one for to add to the collection 8AB04AF5-2ADE-404C-A6E1-35722C8F4AA0.jpeg

Seen this one up for a couple days now, Not a 70s model, but still wish I was closer to pick this one up, be a nice one for to add to the collection View attachment 1097501

That one isn’t too bad, but I have seen plenty of pics of older Huskies where the plastics, particularly the top covers are discoloring, turning a brownish color in many cases, is that from UV Ray damage??🤔

I won’t hike 300 yards to put my saw in the shade for less than 5 minutes, but if I won’t be using my saws for an extended amount of time, I do try to not leave them exposed to intense sun for long periods

IMG_2643.jpeg
IMG_2638.jpeg
IMG_2641.jpeg
IMG_2637.jpeg

This what my 30 year old 266XP looks like, no I’m not a professional faller, and no that’s not the original B&C, but I do try to take care of my tools 🧰, and that 266 has provided a lot of heat for the home 🏡, campfire 🔥 wood, and storm damage and yard cleanup over the last 3 decades

Doug 😎

That one isn’t too bad, but I have seen plenty of pics of older Huskies where the plastics, particularly the top covers are discoloring, turning a brownish color in many cases, is that from UV Ray damage??🤔

I won’t hike 300 yards to put my saw in the shade for less than 5 minutes, but if I won’t be using my saws for an extended amount of time, I do try to not leave them exposed to intense sun for long periods

View attachment 1097592
View attachment 1097593
View attachment 1097594
View attachment 1097595

This what my 30 year old 266XP looks like, no I’m not a professional faller, and no that’s not the original B&C, but I do try to take care of my tools 🧰, and that 266 has provided a lot of heat for the home 🏡, campfire 🔥 wood, and storm damage and yard cleanup over the last 3 decades

Doug 😎
Beautiful saw Doug!
Absolutely Love this chassis of husky! And will pick one up any time the price is right and chance arises!
I just finished building a 61/272xp conversion, now I’m currently working on a 1990 266xp I just picked up, full saw in pieces, everything expect the clutch cover and b&c for 30 bucks(cad), needs a new piston and some love but that’s what I love about these older beauty’s! Half the fun is building them when they need love I find!

But that’s my guess tho too about the UV rays damaging the plastics, can’t see it being very good on them leaving them out in the sun too long, the top cover that came on the 61 I converted was sun damaged like that

View attachment 1097592
View attachment 1097593
View attachment 1097594
View attachment 1097595

Doug 😎
Love that saw! I store my saws in a climate controlled room. They get used hard but look nearly new when I clean them up. It makes literally worlds of difference in preserving plastic, fuel line, and most of all, fuel. Storing a saw in a shed where the humidity is high and there are daily 60 degrees temp swings will wear a saw out quicker than a dull chain.

The 0 series saws. They were Stihl’s golden years. 034 Super, 026, 046, 066.

They had no limitations / restrictions, no flippy caps, well built, ergonomic, solid machines and they’ll still be usable in 50 years time as in, they will still be powerful, reliable, light weight (relative) and easy to work on.

Stihl started going down hill after that.

Flippy caps, limited coils, lighter frames, m-tronic, limited carbs, tighter ports, restricted mufflers - the list goes on.

I should be partial to dads ms260, but the 026 is a better saw imo

Love that saw! I store my saws in a climate controlled room. They get used hard but look nearly new when I clean them up. It makes literally worlds of difference in preserving plastic, fuel line, and most of all, fuel. Storing a saw in a shed where the humidity is high and there are daily 60 degrees temp swings will wear a saw out quicker than a dull chain.
I think a saw that is constantly cleaned will wear one out quicker. A layer of oil and dust is the best preservative.

I think a saw that is constantly cleaned will wear one out quicker. A layer of oil and dust is the best preservative.
Yeah maybe. There’s plenty of residual oil and saw dust on mine.

But I get what you are saying. Sometimes disassembling something too frequently , even to clean it can ruin its integrity over time. I’m careful about that, and mostly just use an air hose when the job is done.

Proper storage is probably just as important if not more than keeping them squeaky clean.

If you’re collecting, do it for pleasure, not as an investment. Just like in guns. You’re better to put it in the stock market.

Back