MAC 130 Oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogierob

Chronic DIYer
Reaction score
I cannot confirm if the oiler is working or clogged. The gas/oiler tank is off the saw at the moment. I’ve put some seafoam into the tank (both sides) to clean it out, and hopefully clear up any blockage. When I press the oiler plunger, their is a bit of oil that will ooze from around the plunger, but nothing comes out the nozzle at the bottom of the tank.

I’ve got the IPL for the saw and i know the plunger is a three part assembly. If that needs to come out, I could use some guidance so I’m not waiting for more parts to be delivered to reassemble the saw.

Thanks!
Rob

You're just talking about the thumb pump in the tank it sounds like? This guy: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/j4kAAOSw87RatooL/s-l300.jpg

The long plastic rod you can literally just grab and pull out. Then there should be the little return spring, and the bottom piece that sits in the bottom of the tank. You can push that back into the tank with a small screwdriver or pick or something. If you find the bottom piece is broken let me know and I'll send you one for the cost of shipping. There's really nothing to this "pump" though.
Maybe the O-ring at the end of the rod has disintegrated?
Also, the piece that sits in the bottom of the tank, there should be some screening around it - maybe it's clogged up with sawdust and gunk?

There's not a lot that comes out of there with it off the saw as I recall. It's not going to like squirt across the room. Basically, you're moving what seems like a little glob of oil through a tiny passage, so it doesn't seem like much coming directly out of the tank, but once you start forcing it through those little passages, you realize it's more than you initially think. Assemble it back on the saw and pump it a few times and you should see it come out the oil passage at the bar mount. No need to completely reassemble, you can do this with the face off, just jamb the tank back on with the little rubber elbow (assuming there's no auto oil pump on this?) and see how it goes.

Note: When you do a final reassembly, wrap a few wraps of teflon tape around the barbs of the rubber elbow to tighten up fitment - it'll keep the oil tank from draining out all over the floor over time.

reading a few other oiler issues, I was thinking it's just clogged. it is just the manual oiler from the link. it's building pressure, or at least I think it is because it's forcing oil out around the top where the thumb pump is. i was going to us a bit of forced air to see if I could clear the blockage. i'll try pulling it out and go from there.

updates forthcoming...

Thanks!
Rob

well the pump did not want to come out. probably just as well as the amount of force required would have lead to something broken.

i sprayed lots of carb cleaner into the tank and lots of gunk came out. i still could see black crap at the bottom of the tank. i switched to very hot soapy water and more gunk came out. then i used a ball inflator pump and needle in the 'out' end of the tube. more soapy water and eventually, success! nice spurts of hot soapy water was now flowing in the correct direction through the pump!

now that i've put water in both the bar oil and gas tank, time to let it air dry before reassembling the saw...

Thanks!
Rob

Good news! Glad you got it sorted out. Most people would just throw that model in the trash LOL Lots of angst out there for them, but they're not bad to work on once you're familiar with them, and the lil guy will run forever.

Latest posts

Back