Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy New Year everyone. Feeling for all the people, plants and animals in danger in Australia right now. I wish we could give them some of this rain that's been pouring down here!
Went out to my folks place yesterday to beat back the rampant wisteria that's trying to pull down all their trees, and scrounge a standing dead maple for me firebox. It was almost raining the whole time, and then it really started right as I was loading up the Prius V. This wisteria they have out there is pretty insane, the pics don't really do it justice.

Gotta watch the tree not the saw! Gah!

%3rwMeOER3WMiBYerbJNVQ.jpg fullsizeoutput_a49.jpeg mpFC5VhaQcyjErKzXqYQEQ.jpg WX1h8pJDRK6eI3WEoRJjLA.jpg

Smacktooth, watch them dead ones for widow makers snapping off above your head. I always have a long stick handy and give them a good hard push before I start cutting to see how rotten they are. Then I use the stick to get far enough away to push them over.

In the late 50’s my grandfather and great uncle logged our family land with a Homelite. That saw is lost to time but today I picked up a 7-19 that was a likely model for them to have used.

When we start logging the property again I’ll drop the first tree with this saw.

View attachment 785460
That looks a lot like my old 7-29, made 56-57. I sent it to a good home in Australia, but, sometimes I wish I had kept it. If I ever find another I won't let it get away.

Smacktooth, watch them dead ones for widow makers snapping off above your head. I always have a long stick handy and give them a good hard push before I start cutting to see how rotten they are. Then I use the stick to get far enough away to push them over.
Good call cantoo, I'll definitely employ the long stick next time. The tree in the first vid was pretty solid at the base but definitely could have had some thing break off at the top. Which is why I decided to avoid banging around with wedges and just dropped it the way it wanted to go. The 2nd one was not very tall and had no branches left but I can see how it would be safer to push it over with the stick.

Spent the morning getting the old splitter running. Had to go into the carb a few times...
Ended up stealing the needle valve outta a old snowblower carb to remedy the leaking bowl. Then ran a tank through the old girl. I’ll take a picture in the morning. Good to have the old machine running again!

My wife used to have a Suzuki V twin that was a sweet ride. I had an 82 1,000 Kawi and it was rude and crude. I don't miss them though, and if I were to get a bike now it would be for the woods. However, as long as I'm still strong enough to pedal, that is what mine will have. (Have both a road bike and Mtn bike, so I'm set).

My wife won't ride on the road any more, and I can't blame her (even though I love to do it). Too many people texting, talking and otherwise distracted.

Her car has been hit twice this year by people who were not paying attention. If you are on 2 wheels (motor or not) that does not end well for ya.

The other day when I taught my Grandsons reloading, I ended up digging through the boxes on the shelf on my reloading bench, and ended up discovering some supplies that had been lost in time, including three different powders I though I was almost out of, and bullets for the 270 (that my brother now uses) that are NLA and I did not think I had.

The bullet is the old Nosler Solid Base, before they started using ballistic tips. They were a little harder than the ballistic tip bullets that replaced them. There were 47 of them left in the box, so I can do some testing at the range and still load two boxes. I'm going to try them with a different powder, and compare them to the 270 MRX bullets (they have also been discontinued, but I stocked up a bit while they were still available). Trouble is, those MRX bullets were expensive as sin, and are only 20 in a box, and I want to save most of them for my 270 WSM.

I have 4 full boxes of MRX, and an opened box that had 4 bullets left. So my plan is to load a few of both bullets with some Reloader 22 powder and see how they shoot. If they both shoot well, I'll load a box of each. If neither of them shoot well, (or to the same point of impact) I'll just go back to my old load of the Nosler with IRM 4350.

Too cold to be building saws or wood furniture (I like to do both of those outside), so I'll play with the reloading a bit before my busy Tax Season begins.

I also had 3 Grandkids over today, we loaded some more 223 and played some cards.

I've always got something going on!

Latest posts

Back