Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FS, I'll be glad to take that brass off of your hands next time I see you. I will put it to good use. I found 2 boxes of 270 that have 6 + 7 reloads on them respectively, and discovered a neck crack, so I will be replacing them with the new brass.

WR, Nice dirt bike, wish I had one of them!

WR, yes I use IMR 4350 in the 270 quite a bit. Generally, 55 gr to push a 130 gr slug. Works well. (that load was with the NLA Win 120 primer).

There is hardly a cartridge around that I can't find a good load for with just one of two powders: IMR 4350 and IMR 4064. (I load 223, 220 Swift, 270 Win, 270 WSM, 30-30, 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 348 Winchester).

That said, I prefer H-335 for the 223 and Reloader 22 meters + dribbles extremely well, and is very well suited for the 270, 270 WSM, and 300 Win Mag.

I used to load the 300 Win Mag with 70 gr of IMR 4350 and a Win 120 primer (NLA) and could stuff either a 180 or 165 gr bullet in front of it and get consistent 5 shot 5/8" groups at 100 yds.

I also often choose the IMR powders for hunting because they are supposed to be less temperature sensitive than the Reloader powders. In reality, you likely will not notice the difference.
IMR 4064 is my go to powder for my 30-06, 375 Ruger, and the 45-70...IMR3031 fits most everything else (rifle) except my 243 with is Accurate 4350.

I've got some 30-06 with a lot of loads on them and are starting to see them crack as well. Buddy just gave us about 1000 rounds of military 30-06 that have corrosive primers, so we will pull it down and use the brass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The problem with military brass is that the primers are crimped. It can be fixed, but it is a lot of work. I found the military 223 was not worth messing with, so I purchased 1,000 primed - once fired brass for a good price.

The only thing I don't like about reloading 30-30 is the brass is thin, making it too easy to crush the neck when seating the bullet. That said I did some light loads with 110 gr bullets years ago, loaded them so they shot in the same place as 170 gr bullets, and they were a joy to shoot (no recoil) and worked nice on chucks.

The problem with military brass is that the primers are crimped. It can be fixed, but it is a lot of work. I found the military 223 was not worth messing with, so I purchased 1,000 primed - once fired brass for a good price.

The only thing I don't like about reloading 30-30 is the brass is thin, making it too easy to crush the neck when seating the bullet. That said I did some light loads with 110 gr bullets years ago, loaded them so they shot in the same place as 170 gr bullets, and they were a joy to shoot (no recoil) and worked nice on chucks.
There’s still old military brass floating around as well that used corrosive primers. I’ve cleaned a few up but it’s lots of work!

Sadly I have read they, koalas, are functionally extinct due to loss of their food source. No longer enough eucalyptus to support a viable population :(

Happily, that's not the case. Unpleasant and dangerous (at times) as the fires are, many reports are overblown.

For the limited amount we use, I can handle the crimped primer...

Thanks cowboy, I was wondering if it was weather or some other change like you outlined. I very thorough response!

The most important thing making a difference at this time is the public notification system, which is now excellent. Online, the state emergency websites keep people informed regarding where the fires are with various levels of severity and control/containment, and tell you when things are likely to change and what to do. Evacuation advice - like we had - clears people out of places that likely to be impacted (it's not an order, people can choose to stay if they wish). Local radio stations broadcast the latest advice continually.

In the 2009 fires, none of this was happening. The first most people knew of the impending disaster was when the sky got very dark, then they died. Undoubtedly, the improved bushfire warning system has saved many lives.

Do you need 270 "stuff"? I got a 270 on trade and tried loading it for the daughter...it was a flier at best, so traded it on the 243. I have 270 components leftover.

@rarefish383. I have 30-30 brass if you want some.
@MustangMike. The 270 brass are yours.
Thanks Steve, if I ever make it to one of your HoDowns I'll take it. If some one else comes along first that needs it, let it go. I probably have at least 600 rounds. My buddy's range lets people scrounge the brass buckets. Two weeks before hunting season opens, you can't pick up the 5 gallon buckets of 30-30, so I stocked up.

I didn't notice the brass being thin, but maybe that's why it works so well necking it down from .30 to .228. You can use 25-35 to make the 22HP also, and it's only one step. But, I have a Custom Ruger #3 in 25-35. so I hoard that for the Ruger. I also have the 375 Win barrel that came on the Ruger. I was thinking of seeing how hard it would be to make a switch barrel, but the 25-35 is so fun to shoot, I think I'll just leave it as it is.

I tend to think man kind is doing a good job at destroying natural habitat with gay abandon, polluting seas with plastic and increasing carbon in the atmosphere among many. I also think the climate is changing, glaciers are being lost, weather patterns are changing, more extreme events more regularly, and ,.. Drop bears threatened with extinction along with many other animals. This may be natural, the world, or large parts, have been hotter or cooler for looking periods within near history let alone over millennia BUT if it is our doing can we afford to ignore it? The Risk is unknown likelihood but catastrophic consequences so I hope we wake up and act. I fear we won't though, I don't think people will accept the curbs on their lifestyle. Still, I try to do a bit... Cycle or walk for loads of journeys and use my car very little, and heating the house with renewable bio fuel instead of dinosaur farts. I suspect I should do more but need government to help guide and unite.

3113CA31-DF1D-4453-965A-AB99FD28B70C.jpeg 6A043458-22AA-4218-8566-479D4DCB50F8.jpeg 5DB8FA2D-43B0-4F50-85A9-586B95764CCE.jpeg E2E20EDF-B251-41F6-9CFC-4239E5BA0F9C.jpeg Well Gentlemen, need help identifying this wood. Remember last weekend I told you of a few trees at my pals house. I thought it would be ash, because that’s what is dying around here, but when I split it...... it smelled almost like red oak, split super easy like red oak and had a bit of a red hue...... but I’m no expert, so I’m hoping you guys can look at the bark and confirm. Me, I need leaves and even then I’m only right 75% of the time.....

Do you need 270 "stuff"? I got a 270 on trade and tried loading it for the daughter...it was a flier at best, so traded it on the 243. I have 270 components leftover.

Steve, what model? I have two daughters and an Uncle that works magic with that cartridge

View attachment 785836 View attachment 785837 View attachment 785838 View attachment 785839 Well Gentlemen, need help identifying this wood. Remember last weekend I told you of a few trees at my pals house. I thought it would be ash, because that’s what is dying around here, but when I split it...... it smelled almost like red oak, split super easy like red oak and had a bit of a red hue...... but I’m no expert, so I’m hoping you guys can look at the bark and confirm. Me, I need leaves and even then I’m only right 75% of the time.....
That's ash Matt. It does get a weird smell when damp. Looking at what ya got it won't take to long to dry. I would at least top cover it if you can.

Steve, what model? I have two daughters and an Uncle that works magic with that cartridge
It was a Remington 770...I could put two in a quarter at 100, then the next (and any subsequent) would fly. It was very consistent with that flier too...weird part is the barrel wouldn't hardly be warm.

After jacking around with it a couple days with different loads, gave up and traded it off for a Ruger American 243, can put three in a spot the size of a dime at 100 yd.

I like to bust my Uncles Chops about the American not being anything close to a M77(it isn’t) but I have one, my pal Mike has one, my other pal Billy has one and Uncle Mustang has two.... ALL of them are shooters! 2-223, 6.5, 270 & 06 all the guys are happy with them.....

Here is one of my nephews enjoying mine in .223, “Predator” model

Attachments

• F1C0139A-29FB-4AD6-B335-32ECCEF0F2AE.jpeg
    F1C0139A-29FB-4AD6-B335-32ECCEF0F2AE.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 19
I like to bust my Uncles Chops about the American not being anything close to a M77(it isn’t) but I have one, my pal had one, my other pal has one and Uncle Mustang has two.... ALL of them are shooters! 2-223, 6.5, 270 & 06 all the guys are happy with them.....

Here is one of my nephews enjoying mine in .223, “Predator” model
I'm going to buy a 223 predator for myself in the near future...

Latest posts

Back