used firewood processors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First, what would be considered a lot of hours? Dana has a sc-16 diesel with 760 hours. Not a lot of hours for an engine obviously, but what about the rest of it?
What does one look for?
Are gas powered processors worth looking at in the thirty to forty hp ratings?

Where are you located? I have one I’m thinking of selling. Not sure what your looking for. Mine is an older unit. It’s called a Beaver Woodeater I think.

Scott

Guy I get my wood for my bundles from has a SC-16 with a little Cat diesel. Thing does a good job with the smaller diameter stuff “up to 16” across oak”, but any larger and the spitter is working hard. He only half’s my wood for me and I have never had him bring up the 4-way as I have to resplit anyways. Only real thing I see on it that is troublesome is the rubber track conveyor. His only has about 500hrs on it and it has holes in it already.

He had the lower model before with the gas engine and said now way would he ever go back to a gasser.

Good info there. Thank you.
Two years ago I helped two guys that rented a SC-16. Did not know either of them. My wife is friends with one of their wives.
Very poorly prepared logs, many large crooked ones. Knobs on most everything. No peeve or cant hook to work with. Made for a lot of extra work prying with 2" limb wood. Three people and lots of waisted time, young muscle, little planning or experience. Sheered the pin connecting the four-way to the lifting mechanism as splits wanted to lift the four-way. That happened several times. Splits were huge, but they were splitting for outdoor boilers so no problem. Had three dump trailers with their dads driving, making a three or four mile run from the wood lot to dump spot.
Great experience however. Learning curve for everyone.

You are not far away from me up in Muskegon.

I have to head to Phoenix next Sunday for a week and have no time this week to go there, but the week of December 10th I will be grabbing a few loads. Could always swing by then and see it in action.

If you have a dump trailer, you could also swing up and have him fill it for you. I know its a long drive with 2cords on the return trip, but the hardwood "mostly Oak" he splits into the trailer is the cheapest price I have found!

Treelength supply,

Over the years I've had the opportunity to work in landings where the logger sold the culls and trainer trees to firewood operations. They brought their processors on sight. In watching the operation I would have to say the diameter range and the straightness of the logs drastically effected the production rate. One guy came in and bought tops for cheap but production really struggled with twisted logs.

That said having a good consistent supplier of what I call processor grade treelength should be a consideration. I'm a one man band armed with chainsaw and Timberwolf splitter but I only buy what my two suppliers call processor grade. It costs me about $7.50 extra per cord but with the nice straight sticks and fairly consistent diameter, they get a little more on the truck because it packs well and cutting on the pile to constant length by eye is much easier.

The other FWIW I can provide is the hydraulics. Be sure they are name brand, non-proprietary to the manufacturer, and use industry standard mounting and fittings. This will save huge lead times during the eventual break down.

Hopefully some of this is a help.

Take Care

I don't know of any processor outfit using non off the shelf hydraulics.

As far as hrs, we have almost 9000 on the older machine. It's pretty loose in the hips.
700hrs is low.

I wouldn't touch a processor with gas engine. Will be a fuel hog and gutless compared to the same hp in a diesel.

I don't know of any processor outfit using non off the shelf hydraulics.

As far as hrs, we have almost 9000 on the older machine. It's pretty loose in the hips.
700hrs is low.

I wouldn't touch a processor with gas engine. Will be a fuel hog and gutless compared to the same hp in a diesel.

There was a processor set up just east of US 31 a couple years ago that I stopped and watched. The guy was running it by himself, dumping in a one ton dump truck. He was re-splitting in the splitter trough, so seemed dreadfully slow at the time. However, that may be the least handling and most efficient. The point I got from that was, a big, high output machine isn't needed if that approach is taken. (The flip side would be something large enough to have a diesel as suggested.) Plus, I stop every 1/4 cord anyway, to wrap with the PackFix and stage the pallet for seasoning. It is also a good time to reload the log deck. Which is what I'm doing now and it flow pretty smoothly, but it's slow for production work.

Another approach would be faster processing into a pile. Then what I'm going to call 'ground' re-handle, splitting with the SuperSplit into conveyor.

I've done that with big rounds quartered on a TW-6 and found it to be to much 'ground' handling. That's when I modified the TW-6 four-way wedge into a table wedge (like a boxless box wedge) and found complete splitting on one machine preferable. No extra handling. However, splitting in a pile may be more efficient in the long run as I could work during much of the winter, which is down time now with pallets.

More efficient work wise would have been to let the TW-6 run, quarter a round and split with SuperSplit while the TW-6 runs. If the 20 hp idled down that might work, but it did not have auto idle and the throttle was by the hitch. So to much walking for every round, and too much fuel to work that way.

I need to try a PowerSplit machine to compare.

Not buying, can't buy, anything for a year or more, except more logs to keep going.

from what I've heard dyna has an agreement in place with the shops that rent them. they are often pulled out of service around 700hrs, go back to the factory get refurbished then put up for sale. that's why you see most of them for sale around 7-900hrs

Around my area north east Wisconsin the ones I see are 3-400 hours of rental then for sale nothing bought factory refurbished that’s just the rentals I know of on dynas

i told dyna to let me know if any 15 or 16s go up for 30 to 35k, especially if they have 4 strand decks.

Back