20" 3/8 on a woods ported 026?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've read all the threads I could find and watched a bunch of videos. I'm looking for the lightest saw that could run a 20" bar and 3/8 chain with authority. I have a lightly used 026 that I would prefer to run after a woods port/muffler mod, but my gut feeling tells me that's still not enough saw. I'm hoping the worst case scenario would be a woods ported 4 HP MS260, but I'm not sure how to tell the 3.5 HP version from the 4.0. The videos I saw with the 260 were not really impressive. The 261 series is lookin mighty good, but I hope to avoid that extra weight.

Will I be OK with a woods tuned 026 with an MS260 air filter and muffler mod, or should I be looking at a good 4 HP MS260? Or will a 4 HP 260 still be not enough saw? Also, how do you tell the 4 HP 260s from the 3.5 HP variants?

Thanks in advance.

I tried a 20 3/8 on my 026 and it pulled it pretty well. It only muffler modded.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

When you say, "with authority" that's pretty tough to define. With authority to me might mean different to you. What kind of wood are you cutting? A 50cc ported saw with 72 driver links in softwood might be reasonably sporty. With the bar buried in oak, not so much. It'll definitely do it, but it might not wow you.

I have a ported 261 currently. It's a great saw, but if I want to buck firewood with a 20" bar, it's not the saw I choose. The new versions of the 261 are lighter than the 026s by the way, but they are physically larger. I love the snappy acceleration of the ported 261, but once the cuts get longer than 10-15 seconds, I'd rather listen to something with a lower exhaust note.

So, yes an 026 will do it, but depending on your application and what you like, there's a lot of other saws that will to. Something like a husky 357 or 555 would be worth looking at.

Lots of variables in order to answer that question.
Few are; what type of wood, what size wood, what type of chain(skip/semi skip, full chisel/semi chisel) how well can you sharpen a chain, altitude, who is doing the port work. Three summers ago the saw that impressed me the most was an 026 that was ported by @drf255 . It was a buddies saw and we were cutting all hardwood with it running a 20x3/8 full chisel chain and it was not skip, pulled it very well. It was comparable to a strong 60cc saw.

When you say, "with authority" that's pretty tough to define. With authority to me might mean different to you. What kind of wood are you cutting? A 50cc ported saw with 72 driver links in softwood might be reasonably sporty. With the bar buried in oak, not so much. It'll definitely do it, but it might not wow you.

I have a ported 261 currently. It's a great saw, but if I want to buck firewood with a 20" bar, it's not the saw I choose. The new versions of the 261 are lighter than the 026s by the way, but they are physically larger. I love the snappy acceleration of the ported 261, but once the cuts get longer than 10-15 seconds, I'd rather listen to something with a lower exhaust note.

So, yes an 026 will do it, but depending on your application and what you like, there's a lot of other saws that will to. Something like a husky 357 or 555 would be worth looking at.
I agree:cheers:

You can do it with a good ported 026. A 261 Stihl is bigger by far but not much heavier-especially the V2. The ported 261 will pull it even better.

I’m not certain on the stock HP of the 026 vs 260. I don’t think the power ever changed when they went up to the 44.7 bore. I’ve always read that they increased the bore to offset the more stringent EPA requirements and keep the power unchanged. The early 260’s were still 44mm and the handle sticker came as 49cc. The 50cc ones had the 44.7 cylinder.

It depends on how the saw is ported as well. If it’s done as a high rpm screamer it’s not gonna pull it well.

Here’s a few with standard 3/8.

25”

20”

My vote is for .325 on a 20" bar for the 026 and MS260 used for reach more than bar burying, I have tried several types of 3/8" chain on them and I do run many of these saws for actual woods work, all of them have been hopped up somewhat..;)
Totally agree. For all day cutting I’d go with a ported 036 or 034S. New, a 562 probably.

An 026 or 261 ported can do it, but it’s a trade off. 026/260/261 are 16” bar saws for me. And I run 3/8 on my own 261. Easier for me to run one pitch on my smaller saws.

Totally agree. For all day cutting I’d go with a ported 036 or 034S. New, a 562 probably.

An 026 or 261 ported can do it, but it’s a trade off. 026/260/261 are 16” bar saws for me. And I run 3/8 on my own 261. Easier for me to run one pitch on my smaller saws.

I use 16 and 18" bars mostly, .325 chisel chain on them all. Two of them have 20" bars that are nice on some jobs for reach but I don`t use the 026 for bucking duty very much, have many bigger saws for that duty. Still prefer the 044 and MS440 for bucking duties, move up as the wood gets bigger, 046, 660 070, 090 as required.

Agree Jerry. The right saw for the job. I use an 036 for up to 25” with a modded oiler. It works for me. When I need 28 or better, it goes on my 044/046 hybrid. Big cutting goes to my ported 395-there is no substitute.

I guess what we are trying to say to the OP is to use the right tool for the job. Even if an 026 can be modded to run a 36” bar, who has the time to wait for it to get through the cut?

I guess .325 or Picco would work if weight and a 20 was mandatory.

Agree Jerry. The right saw for the job. I use an 036 for up to 25” with a modded oiler. It works for me. When I need 28 or better, it goes on my 044/046 hybrid. Big cutting goes to my ported 395-there is no substitute.

I guess what we are trying to say to the OP is to use the right tool for the job. Even if an 026 can be modded to run a 36” bar, who has the time to wait for it to get through the cut?

The Picco chain has not proven out well for me, it has poor chip clearing for our wood and sharpening it in the field is painful. We do run some on the 241`s just for very small stuff but I wouldn`t want it for a one saw only setup. I still have saws running 1/4" chain, its better than Picco for me. The right size saw for the situation at hand is why I have a selection of saws from 34cc upward to 137cc, cover all the bases.

The 346 is the only 50cc I’ve had that rocks the trees like a hurricane 3/8 16” Haven’t tried it yet but I bet 325 8t 16” would even be faster.
Just my opinion but 3/8 20” is slightly exceeding the 026 capabilities but would do much better with 325.
It’s just a pita to have all those different pitches, gauges,chains,bars and sprockets.
There’s nothing quite like forgetting your saw has a 325 rim and trying to fit a 3/8 chain. It’s kinda like putting bar lube in the gas tank or putting chain on backwards.
If you haven’t done these things yet you haven’t been in the woods long enough.

I concur with you on the 036. About my favorite firewood saw, with 3/8 20" , if the bar gets buried most of the time I move up to my 038M and 25" bar.

My 026 and 028S are happiest with 0.325 16" bar/chains. If they get buried the 036 takes over. I'll bring 3 saws with me if I have a bunch if of different size wood to cut.

Curious what you did with oiler on your 036? Mine has been fine full open.

My 036PRO, MS360 and MS362 have seen more cutting duty lately, the wood is a bit smaller dia and therefore the saw size fits better, they run 3/8" chain on 20" bars, a bigger saw still comes out when a bigger tree or trees are encountered. I don`t prefer to spend any more time cutting or falling trees than necessary, it irks me.

I concur with you on the 036. About my favorite firewood saw, with 3/8 20" , if the bar gets buried most of the time I move up to my 038M and 25" bar.

My 026 and 028S are happiest with 0.325 16" bar/chains. If they get buried the 036 takes over. I'll bring 3 saws with me if I have a bunch if of different size wood to cut.

Curious what you did with oiler on your 036? Mine has been fine full open.
Changed ramp and stop on a few. Increased the oiling greatly.

Back