Is this Oregon chain still ok?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom do you use stones & finish the edge with a strop? Are those 3 different grade strops on those three nice blocks of wood?
Hey :) no no, I sharpen on the float glass blocks using adhesive silicone carbide paper. The float glass is precision flat (made on molton tin If I recall correctly) and thus that produces perfectly flat scandi edges. I the strop on the kangaroo Suede with a compound and finish on the leather strop without any :) check my YouTube channel out which covers it in more detail :)

Do your kangaroo strops come with a pouch? :ices_rofl:.
Looks very interesting, I've been woodcarving and sharpening my own tools for years but always like to try something new. I like the knife hollow grind - same way I do my planer and jointer knives. Will check you on youtube.
Funnily enough they do!!! Baha I never thought about it like that though! Yes exactly right :) hollow grind on the Tormek and flat (Tram lines) on the top to speed up stropping
And sharpening :)

Sure thing mate no worries :) nice knives you have there!

I work with a few blacksmiths in the USA and Sweden helping them design carving knives, it’s great fun and very rewarding!
Thanks bud,that's cool you have a connection like that. I love making the knives and sheaths. Kinda relaxing in its own way.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm going to snitch on you to PETA!!!! :eek:

Those poor kangaroos!!! :crazy2:

sarcasm :D

haha all good! I know you’re messing around, but if you are interested in the ethics behind how and why the animals or any materials I use are sourced, don’t hesitate to ask :) I’m very passionate about maintaining a healthy and balanced eco system and bio diversity here in Australia, and managing the kangaroo population is essential to this with them being
one of the most abundant large land mammals in the world!

I would love to learn how to sharpen knives. I seen someone using very fine sand paper on a block of wood. Like 1500 grit.

Some pretty serious sharpening stones there!
I once stoned my square ground work chains to see the difference in speed.
I’d put the saw in a vice with the chain on backwards and with the saw running and the chain turning, I’d hold a large fine stone against the bar and the edge of the cutters working corner.
The method to my madness was to get every cutter entering the wood at the same angle as chain out of the box has cutters that lean left and right, thus making a rougher cut.

Back