Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a Remington 770...I could put two in a quarter at 100, then the next (and any subsequent) would fly. It was very consistent with that flier too...weird part is the barrel wouldn't hardly be warm.

After jacking around with it a couple days with different loads, gave up and traded it off for a Ruger American 243, can put three in a spot the size of a dime at 100 yd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Alot of the flyer issues with cheap plastic stock guns is the bedding and/or barrel channel. Not the action/barrel. The barrel needs to be floated and the action needs secure bedding. Look up "rifle accurizing" on google/youtube.

I hear a lot about the 6.5 but I've never shot one. My cheap wooden stocked savage in 25-06 sighted 2.5 high at 100 is point of aim out to 350 and more than accurate enough for my skillset, although I've never shot a deer that far away. Maybe some guys are super shooters but unless I'm shooting from a bench, I wouldn't take a shot that far out.
One week into January and diddly squat for snow, so it's not looking good for my snowmobile season. With temps hovering around freezing, I'm not hurting the wood supply either.
Early December we had a horrific accident at work, when a coworker got entangled in a large boring mill. Today I went to visit him in the hospital. Recovery is nothing short of miraculous! They managed to save both legs and his arm, all of which were partial amputations. Been some tough weeks since I was right there but today was a real lift for me. Seeing how good he is doing really made my day.
Nothing scrounge related. Lol, I'll have to pick up the fiskars soon if it doesn't snow!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I hear a lot about the 6.5 but I've never shot one. My cheap wooden stocked savage in 25-06 sighted 2.5 high at 100 is point of aim out to 350 and more than accurate enough
Depends on the 6.5 variant but the creed is easy shooting. Shorter than 243. (short action). The 25-06 is a sweet round but they really dont make long range target bullets for it. If they did I think more people would use it

My dad and I used to belong to the local rifle club before he bought hunting land. It was mostly run by crusty pro-NRA WW2 vets. Interesting guys and they knew guns. The rifle range was on some former mining company land and included sone old buildings that they used for the clubhouse and storage. They had buckets and buckets of brass you could pick through if you wanted to reload.

interesting overlay for some context on how much of Aussie is ablaze:
2020-01-05%20%281%29.jpg

I tend to think man kind is doing a good job at destroying natural habitat with gay abandon,

Likely the only real solution is population control, but there is not much apatite for it. Worse than that, the strongest "green" advocates are the same ones who are opening our borders, insisting that our laws do not apply to those who are here illegally, and the rapid influx will impact us here negatively.

We do need to improve recycling, but most of the bad pollution is from 3rd world countries and is beyond our control. Taking draconian measures here will not solve the problems there, and ocean pollution is a major problem.

Regarding temp change, storms, etc., there have always been cycles, and factors like the orbits of Saturn etc have impacts we still don't fully understand. Part of the problem is that when we now have storms like we had 50 years ago, there are people living there that were not there previously. The Mayans used to sacrifice people to stop climate change … that didn't work either!

We love to build right on the ocean on a sunny day, and entire cities down South are below sea level. It is a wonder we don't have more problems with our stupid behavior.

Figured you guys would want to see my red headed step child lose her virginity in some of my hardwood[emoji1787]. Thanks Chipper1 for letting me adopt your untouched redhead.

Man thats messed up.[emoji51]

Set to 13,000 out of the wood right now. Will turn it up a tad after a few more heat cycles. For what it is I think It did pretty darn good in hardwood (red oak i think) I’m pretty excited to see how it does after the 2172 conversion. Then it will go to Kevin to get her holes blowed out a bit....[emoji1787].

New 24”bar and new chain as well

(And she is already warmed up before the video)

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Sounds good.
I wouldn't even do the transfers if you're sending it out to be ported, just send it out and let him do it.
My thoughts are why pull it apart any more than needed, and why buy another gasket/take the time to make one if he's going to cut the base.
Hope you leaned it out a bit ;).

Looks like like the scroungers prayers and kind thoughts worked, we're ok back home by the look of it. The wind change came a bit earlier than forecast and we didn't get the dry thunderstorms that were expected to cause a problem. Raining in Melbourne now and the rain should arrive back home soon. The main highway between here and home was cut by fire a couple of hours after we drove down but the northbound lanes are now open so no problems getting home. Only a couple of months worth of this shyte left now :crazy2:
Glad you guys dodged that :surprised3:.
I really like the "hey can you work on this car for us" as a cheap storage option:cheers:. That will be great to get it back on the rd too.
Congratulations?!? ;)
:laughing:
Naturally, the people that make the decisions are not the people that are affected by the outcomes.
You sure :envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:.

Went out to my folks place yesterday to beat back the rampant wisteria that's trying to pull down all their trees, and scrounge a standing dead maple for me firebox. It was almost raining the whole time, and then it really started right as I was loading up the Prius V. This wisteria they have out there is pretty insane, the pics don't really do it justice.

Gotta watch the tree not the saw! Gah!

View attachment 785552 View attachment 785553 View attachment 785554 View attachment 785555

Nice job.
Like that saw :).
Are you getting that big tree whittled down too.

interesting overlay for some context on how much of Aussie is ablaze:
2020-01-05%20%281%29.jpg

Well Dorothy, at least Kansas is safe. And you blokes in NZ are getting nice sunsets out of this. I suppose we're not talking about the cricket ;)

Just crap at our place atm. Here it is much of the time...

6th Jan 1.jpg

Here it is currently...

6th Jan 2.jpg

Blurk. :nofunny:

I hear a lot about the 6.5 but I've never shot one. My cheap wooden stocked savage in 25-06 sighted 2.5 high at 100 is point of aim out to 350 and more than accurate enough for my skillset, although I've never shot a deer that far away. Maybe some guys are super shooters but unless I'm shooting from a bench, I wouldn't take a shot that far out.
One week into January and diddly squat for snow, so it's not looking good for my snowmobile season. With temps hovering around freezing, I'm not hurting the wood supply either.
Early December we had a horrific accident at work, when a coworker got entangled in a large boring mill. Today I went to visit him in the hospital. Recovery is nothing short of miraculous! They managed to save both legs and his arm, all of which were partial amputations. Been some tough weeks since I was right there but today was a real lift for me. Seeing how good he is doing really made my day.
Nothing scrounge related. Lol, I'll have to pick up the fiskars soon if it doesn't snow!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Excellent news Jeff, I give it a big LiKE.

I suppose we're not talking about the cricket
if morri can't take a deserved family holiday in Hawaii then we have been playing like amateurs in protest at even playing cricket at this sensitive time. It's a refined sort of protest that seems to fly over the heads of the typical Aussie cricket fans.

Took a while for the smoke to get to the North of the North Island but did so as of yesterday. I should be seeing half of my aunts house waft by on the breeze in about a week I reckon

Likely the only real solution is population control, but there is not much apatite for it. Worse than that, the strongest "green" advocates are the same ones who are opening our borders, insisting that our laws do not apply to those who are here illegally, and the rapid influx will impact us here negatively.

We do need to improve recycling, but most of the bad pollution is from 3rd world countries and is beyond our control. Taking draconian measures here will not solve the problems there, and ocean pollution is a major problem.

Regarding temp change, storms, etc., there have always been cycles, and factors like the orbits of Saturn etc have impacts we still don't fully understand. Part of the problem is that when we now have storms like we had 50 years ago, there are people living there that were not there previously. The Mayans used to sacrifice people to stop climate change … that didn't work either!

We love to build right on the ocean on a sunny day, and entire cities down South are below sea level. It is a wonder we don't have more problems with our stupid behavior.

I agree Mike the big elephant in the room is population growth. In the year 2000 the world population was 6.122 billion now it’s 7.8 billion, growing at an unrelenting 90 million per year for over 40 years.
The greens should be leading the charge if they care about the environment but you’re correct they are not.
And the right want economic growth which the old outdated model says will lift everyone.
We will eventually need to have zero population growth, the sooner we do that the better.

Very well said.

We took a giant Oak down for some folks down county. They went on and on about how global warming killed their tree. We had been through 4-5 years of really hot summers. I told them that the weather we were going through was just like the weather my Dad talked about when he was a kid in the 1920's-30's. I said that during real hot dry weather the trees won't grow much and will have real tight growth rings, in wet years it will grow a lot more and have big growth rings. When we get it down, lets examine the rings. The 10 year old son counted the rings, the tree was over 200 years old. I asked him to count back about 70 years and see what the growth rings looked like? That would put it in the 1920's when Dad was a kid. You had to use the tip of a pocket knife to count them they were so tight. They asked if the 4-5 years of drought didn't kill the tree, what did. Their back yard had been a long up hill grade. The base of the tree was about even with the gutters on their two story house. I told them that catastrophic damage to the roots of a big tree can take 3-5 years to kill it. Then I asked when they put the pool in? When they put the pool in they cut the back yard flat, back to 10-15 feet of the base of the tree. Put in a beautiful stone wall, with beautiful winding stairs, beautiful park under the tree. They spent a couple hundred thousand dollars creating a Rockefeller like park in their back yard, but, in the process cutoff almost half of the roots on the tree. They said they had put the pool in about 5 years ago.

People live such short lives they look at things in short snap shots. When I was younger I lived about half way between Washington DC and Baltimore. When you got on the highway there was a brown haze around both cities. You would run 75-80 miles per hour. Now, you get on the same highway and you creep, stop and go 10-15 miles per hour. Ten times as many cars as there were back then, but the sky's are crystal clear, all of that smog is gone.

My Veterinarian has a cattle farm. The government make her pull a big chain link drag over all of the cow poop to break it up and spread it around, to keep it from getting in the water system.

My best friend has a small river running through his mom's back yard. We used to fish in it. Back in the 70's they put in a big golf course up stream, in a couple years all the fish were gone. Back around 2000 the golf course closed up and they put in several mega mansions on 10-20 acre lots. The creek is full of fish again.

One of the major problems is the politicians that support the green movement, really like their Supper Green golf courses. As long as their fourth of July golf tourny is on a lush green course, all is well, even though the rest of the neighbor hood is dry and brown.

Of course we can always do better, but we have come one hell of a long ways since the 50's-70's. As mentioned above, China and other developing countries don't follow our rules.

Latest posts

Back