How important is finding no ethanol fuel ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantico

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know 10 percent alcohol is better than higher amounts.. and no alcohol is better yet. With a good quality stihl pro saw how important is it to find only non alcohol fuel ?? I live in milwaukee and have no idea how far i would need to drive to try to find 100 percent gas..

i have observed that the greatest advantage of ethanol free gas is when any carbureted equipment will sit unused for any amount of time. The ethanol gas turns to s--t and destroys rubber hoses, diaphragms, when it sits for a length of time. If i used something daily or even weekly, i wouldn't be nearly as concerned. My stuff tends to sit between uses so I use only ethanol free in anything with a carburetor.

I just ordered non ethanol fuel for my tractors. I use non ethanol mix for my saws.

Does fuel stabilizer have any effect in negating the alcohol affects? I have had the guys at 2 different shops don't run any small engine without it. That includes lawn tractors.
I currently use Enzyme brand. Not sure if there is a difference in brands.

Most of the new stuff is designed to withstand ethanol fuel or there would be a load of warranty issues.

I really haven’t had any issues with E fuel. I try to use it for most cutting and try to use E free in the last tank or Motormix before storage.

I’m on Long Island NY and there is no E free fuel around within a few hours of driving. The stuff is like gold, so I try to fuel up when I travel and bring it home.

On buddy swears that the cost of VP fuel is worth the lack of headaches. It’s around $85 for 5 gallons here. He swears it’s better than any pump gas, says he has had saws fueled and sitting for 5+ years full and they just fire right up. He considers it cheap insurance and lest costly than fuel lines and carb kits.

Modern mix oils have the fuel stabilizer in them already. I've never worried about ethonal. But I dump my mix in the wifes car after a month or so. Usually doesn't last that long.

Most of the new stuff is designed to withstand ethanol fuel or there would be a load of warranty issues.

I really haven’t had any issues with E fuel. I try to use it for most cutting and try to use E free in the last tank or Motormix before storage.

I’m on Long Island NY and there is no E free fuel around within a few hours of driving. The stuff is like gold, so I try to fuel up when I travel and bring it home.

On buddy swears that the cost of VP fuel is worth the lack of headaches. It’s around $85 for 5 gallons here. He swears it’s better than any pump gas, says he has had saws fueled and sitting for 5+ years full and they just fire right up. He considers it cheap insurance and lest costly than fuel lines and carb kits.

pure-gas.org has a couple places listed in the east end of the island. How about marinas?

Concerning VP, I've had similar results with 100LL AV gas.

When I mix it I store it in 1-gal metal Coleman fuel cans. I mix up 5-gal with quality oil, a can or two is all I usually need for a days cutting.

I can get E-free fuel in WV but it's 50 cents per gallon more than what I get in Md. I thought about taking my 30 gallon tank with hand pump The next time I go to the farm. I use 5 gallons of mix a month. If I make a trip to the farm just to get fuel, it gets expensive. Although I don't need excuses to run up to the farm. I was cleaning up the garage over the week end and made an Echo only shelf. I pulled my CS 305 and CS500VL off the Homelite shelf. They both had fuel at least 2 years old, and both started right up. I guess the stabilizer in the Stihl Synthetic I use works. The E fuel will separate and leave all of the residue in my 4 stroke carbs. I hadn't used my tiller or snow blower in about two years and had to put new carbs on both. Got so tired of cleaning and rebuilding carbs on the blower I gave it away and got a PTO blower for the JD.

To answer your question, I use E fuel in all of my saws. Only use the best synthetic oil I can get. I like Stihl best but will use Echo if I have to. I try not to leave them on the shelf for more than 3 months with fuel in them, but it doesn't always work. I have over 50 saws and try to keep ten running. But, I realistically only use 3 year round, the rest are just big, loud, boy toys.

pure-gas.org has a couple places listed in the east end of the island. How about marinas?

Concerning VP, I've had similar results with 100LL AV gas.

When I mix it I store it in 1-gal metal Coleman fuel cans. I mix up 5-gal with quality oil, a can or two is all I usually need for a days cutting.
Great point. I will check that out.

Just be religious about draining the tank and running the saw dry when the saw will sit for more than 3ish weeks.

Dump the fuel after 3 months max.(just put it in a vehicle)

I have non-e gas around me like crazy...almost every station offers it in some fashion. But if you follow the manufacturers recommendations about fuel, you'll be fine.

I don't worry about 87 octane with 10% ethnol in it. When I mix fuel I add the correct amount of Echo premix oil, correct amount per directions of Stabuil fuel stablizer and 6 oz of Marvel Mistery oil per gallon.

If I did the internet search for ethnol free fuel in my area and couldn't find any and I just had to have E free fuel I would make my own.
There are several You Tubes on how to make it your self.

:D Al

I don't worry about 87 octane with 10% ethnol in it. When I mix fuel I add the correct amount of Echo premix oil, correct amount per directions of Stabuil fuel stablizer and 6 oz of Marvel Mistery oil per gallon.

If I did the internet search for ethnol free fuel in my area and couldn't find any and I just had to have E free fuel I would make my own.
There are several You Tubes on how to make it your self.

:D Al

So your running both echo at 50:1 AND marvel mistery, AT 20:1!!! AND fuel stabilizer? WTF????

Why not just get Some non-detergent 30W and run it 20:1 :ices_rofl::clap::laugh::dizzy:

P.S. making your own E10 free from corn fuel is a foolish (fuelish?) endevor. The ethanol effects octane rating and you won't have a clue to how much LOWER it is without the ethanol. Besides that, you are are going to have to dry the fuel chemically (sodium or magnesium sulfates) or add drygas (isopropanol) to get rid of the "wet" ethanol free gas.:ices_rofl:

I used to teach analytic and organic chemistry and we did fuel analysis by GC/MS, and Ive purified many hydrocarbons.

So your running both echo at 50:1 AND marvel mistery, AT 20:1!!! AND fuel stabilizer? WTF????

Why not just get Some non-detergent 30W and run it 20:1 :ices_rofl::clap::laugh::dizzy:

P.S. making your own E10 free from corn fuel is a foolish (fuelish?) endevor. The ethanol effects octane rating and you won't have a clue to how much LOWER it is without the ethanol. Besides that, you are are going to have to dry the fuel chemically (sodium or magnesium sulfates) or add drygas (isopropanol) to get rid of the "wet" ethanol free gas.:ices_rofl:

I used to teach analytic and organic chemistry and we did fuel analysis by GC/MS, and Ive purified many hydrocarbons.
So in your opinion is there anything too this e-free paranoia?

Latest posts

Back