Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alot of the flyer issues with cheap plastic stock guns is the bedding and/or barrel channel. Not the action/barrel. The barrel needs to be floated and the action needs secure bedding. Look up "rifle accurizing" on google/youtube.
The barrel was floated, we didn't see any reason for the fliers, this wasn't our first go around with accuracizing a rifle!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RF is right, we have made great strides. The Hudson River and Great Lakes are so much cleaner than they used to be it is almost unimaginable. And several decades ago most of the lakes in the Adirondack Mountains were completely devoid of fish due to acid rain … no longer!

But the continued practice of allowing those in over crowed Country's to come here, have more kids and go on welfare creates an unsustainable population increase that will have negative consequences.

Trees and plants are important for generating oxygen and swamps naturally pull the pollutants from contaminated water. The more we develop, the more we kill these natural wonders.

The plastic in our oceans is a nightmare

Yes, but so is the mercury, etc. Tuna Fish s/b one of the healthiest foods on the planet … but not with the mercury!

Plastic just happens to be the pollutant that is most easily seen. Untreated sewage (including from the homeless in CA), drugs, fertilizers, etc.!

I love hi performance cars, but my current Mustang has a much smaller V-8 than the big blocks of the past, has FI, VCT, multi valve heads, cats and computer controls. Part of the reason I got the Whipple SC is because Ford created the tune, and it is 50 State emissions legal (and very drivable). The 5 speed tranny also greatly improves highway mileage over the old 4 speeds.

It is an example of improvements in technology allowing you to have your cake and eat it to0!

The barrel was floated, we didn't see any reason for the fliers, this wasn't our first go around with accuracizing a rifle!

I have had a couple like that, would eventually just sell them or trade in. Most people do not care about accuracy on a hunting rifle and in reality if it can hit a pie plate at 100 yards it is good for 99 percent of the people!

Yes, but so is the mercury, etc. Tuna Fish s/b one of the healthiest foods on the planet … but not with the mercury!

Plastic just happens to be the pollutant that is most easily seen. Untreated sewage (including from the homeless in CA), drugs, fertilizers, etc.!
Drugs (as in pharmaceutical) in drinking water is something yet to rear its ugly head...wait until the medical-resistant bugs go haywire and rampant.

I have had a couple like that, would eventually just sell them or trade in. Most people do not care about accuracy on a hunting rifle and in reality if it can hit a pie plate at 100 yards it is good for 99 percent of the people!
Yep, we don't keep any rifle that won't pattern under a quarter. I know plenty that are happy with a pie plate, not us.

If we can't easily identify the issue or create a load that works, down the road it goes.

Yep, we don't keep any rifle that won't pattern under a quarter. I know plenty that are happy with a pie plate, not us.

If we can't easily identify the issue or create a load that works, down the road it goes.

Not sure if Remington still makes the 700 "classic" in a different caliber every year. But I had the 2000 or 2001 version that came in 300 Savage. Awesome field gun but putting a 5 group inside of a cantaloupe sized circle of the bench at 100 yards wasn't happening. The trigger sucked though, must have been about a 6 or 7 lb pull. First two shots would be touching though.

Not sure if Remington still makes the 700 "classic" in a different caliber every year. But I had the 2000 or 2001 version that came in 300 Savage. Awesome field gun but putting a 5 group inside of a cantaloupe sized circle of the bench at 100 yards wasn't happening. The trigger sucked though, must have been about a 6 or 7 lb pull. First two shots would be touching though.
My father has a 700 in 30-06, it will put five downrange in a quarter...I have no doubt they make good rifles.

This 770 was a whim, decided it was too much for my daughter at the time and wasn't worth fighting, traded it on the Ruger in 243 and dialed it in, and then she uses my Savage in 30-06 to take two deer anyway...I can't win!

For a hunting rifle, small group size is nice, but often over rated. The most important attribute is 1st shot consistency. If you group 1/2", but in a different place every time you go to the range (based on temp, elev, etc), that is not a good hunting rifle.

I also often select better constructed bullets even if they don't shoot the smallest group size. I can shoot 5/16" groups with my 06 with Nosler Ballistic Tips, and they are a great open field bullet, but for the woods I choose to use the Barnes TTSX that average 1" groups instead.

For varmints, I want accuracy, and I sent a break open 223 down the road because it would not shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yds. The Ruger American Rifle does a much better job!

Until they logged my main hunting area, 75 yards was a very long shot for me. Literally every piece of harvestable public land around me has been logged in the past 30 years so once this 80 acre chunk grows back (it is being planted with norway pine next spring) we should have several years of respite before the go back to harvest the early 1990's cuts.

Neat bar. Can you feel the weight difference?
I haven't held a 28" bar in my hands for about 2 years since I sold my 2186 but yeah this feels a lot lighter than the Winsor bar I had for that. If I had to guess I would say it is around the same weight as the regular 20" bar I have for this saw.

Back