Drill bit versus Chainsaw Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a style/brand of drill bit that is actually harder than the steel in a saw bar? I am converting all of my large mount saws to Stihl mount through the use of Homelite410 bar adaptors but need to drill out the adjuster holes on the Stihl mount bars to accept the larger Homelite and Poulan bar adjuster pegs. I have been using a chain file but that is slow and imperfect. I do not have any sort of grinding tool at home but I do have a drill press. The basic hardware store drill bits I have do not do much versus the hard steel in a bar!

Most small drillpresses run way too fast for this also.
I have a big old school drill press from my grandpa, probably from the 40's or 50's. It has three different pulley settings so it can be "geared" up or down. I think it is in the middle setting right now but doesnt spin all that fast, relatively

I have seen bottles of cutting oil. If I am just doing 6-8 holes can I get away with engine oil or 2 stroke oil?
Get the right stuff. You'll use it again in future. Again and again - it goes a long way. But failing that then if you have to use an 'oil' do you have anything you can cut it down with like kero or even CRC/WD40? Don't huff the fumes when drilling though ;-)

I have seen bottles of cutting oil. If I am just doing 6-8 holes can I get away with engine oil or 2 stroke oil?
It is very inexpensive and will save you alot of money and headache in the long run. I would highly advise it on any kind of hardened steel. I dont know too much about saw bars but I would imagine they are heat treated probably face hardened. The welder in me knows that adding heat to hardened steel can lead to bad juju. Plus beat the crap out of good bits.

I have been looking at Carbide Burrs on Amazon for a 1/4 air die grinder. I don't know if anyone here has any or if they are any good. But if you are enlarging an existing hole I would think a burr would be the way to go maybe?

I'm with this guy too you may just jam the bit an chip it. Keep at it with the file if you're only making holes bigger.

I cut the end off a bar and made it shorter and used regular hss bits and yeah 2 or 3 re sharpenings per hole but ya get there in the end. Quality evacut drill bits not china specials

My brother used a Makita regular drill bit and cutting oil to modify a stihl mount Oregon adjuster hole to fit his larger Dolmar 133 adjuster nub. Go slowly, keep it well oiled and you should be good.

Latest posts

Back