Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 786137 Decided I needed to clean this mess up some befor I broke an ankle or worse. Took the little 355t and cleared out as much brush and small branches as I could. Made it as safe as I could to be working in that mess.
Nibble your way in, and keep clear escape routes!

Philbert

Nibble your way in, and keep clear escape routes!

Philbert
I've stopped multiple times and taken alot of time to decide how to go about my next cut. 20191224_140031.jpg These two small hickories took 20 minutes of staring to decide the safest way to cut them loose. I'm in no hurry here. If it takes all winter to clean this tree up so be it.

I've stopped multiple times and taken alot of time to decide how to go about my next cut. View attachment 786153 These two small hickories took 20 minutes of staring to decide the safest way to cut them loose. I'm in no hurry here. If it takes all winter to clean this tree up so be it.

Just walk in and start slashing, what's the worse than can happen? I've posted this a few times, happens quick. Lucky that I had glasses on. This was an ash branch and a piece snapped back.

Attachments

• branch.JPG
    branch.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 28
I've stopped multiple times and taken alot of time to decide how to go about my next cut. View attachment 786153 These two small hickories took 20 minutes of staring to decide the safest way to cut them loose. I'm in no hurry here. If it takes all winter to clean this tree up so be it.

12 ga slugs from a safe distance [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

Shoot at the trunk

Take a few boxes and have fun

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Of course we can always do better, but we have come one hell of a long ways since the 50's-70's. As mentioned above, China and other developing countries don't follow our rules.

Places like China are now like the US was in the past century, a manufacturing country. With respect to following "our" rules, worlds a big place...........

I recall from my GOL class that you're supposed to run the saw back and forth along the underside of the arch & the stress is gradually released on the sprung tree. But maybe the arch is above your shoulder height so that changes the game considerably.

Just walk in and start slashing, what's the worse than can happen? I've posted this a few times, happens quick. Lucky that I had glasses on. This was an ash branch and a piece snapped back.

I know I posted a few years back, was lucky I was wearing a helmet. I was dropping a tree the storm had blown over 45* and I never even saw it coming. A small Norway Maple got "un tensioned" and wound around the back of me and wacked me in the head. It was not large, but it really whipped, and if I were not wearing that helmet it would have really smarted!

Did some test loads in your Dad's 270 and my 223 today.

Your Dad's 270 shot under 1.5" with the Nosler Solid Base, but the group with the premium Barnes MRX was 2.5" and in the wrong place, so I'm loading 2 boxes of the Solid Base for him.

I worked up 9 different loads for the 223, only 3 of them shot under an inch. When I neck size the brass I will use one of those 3 loads and the groups should shrink further. All of today's 223 groups were 5 shot groups at 100 yds. The best shooting bullets in this gun were the Hornady 55 gr SX, Hornady 52 gr Hp and Sierra 52 gr Hp. IIRC, my 220 Swift likes the 53 gr Si Hp best.

Then one of the other club members gave me some factory ammo to try … expensive stuff … Black Hills 77 gr Hp. I did not think they would shoot well, but they printed exactly 1" (in 3 holes) at 100 yrds. Not bad for factory ammo! I'm thinking I must have a 1 in 8 twist to shoot that weight bullet that well.

Did some test loads in your Dad's 270 and my 223 today.

Your Dad's 270 shot under 1.5" with the Nosler Solid Base, but the group with the premium Barnes MRX was 2.5" and in the wrong place, so I'm loading 2 boxes of the Solid Base for him.

I worked up 9 different loads for the 223, only 3 of them shot under an inch. When I neck size the brass I will use one of those 3 loads and the groups should shrink further. All of today's 223 groups were 5 shot groups at 100 yds. The best shooting bullets in this gun were the Hornady 55 gr SX, Hornady 52 gr Hp and Sierra 52 gr Hp. IIRC, my 220 Swift likes the 53 gr Si Hp best.

Then one of the other club members gave me some factory ammo to try … expensive stuff … Black Hills 77 gr Hp. I did not think they would shoot well, but they printed exactly 1" (in 3 holes) at 100 yrds. Not bad for factory ammo! I'm thinking I must have a 1 in 8 twist to shoot that weight bullet that well.

As I was reading it, I was wondering why you did not try any 68 grain bullets. But then I see you tried the whopping 77’s. I’d like to whack a coyote with something a little heavier than 55 grains

if morri can't take a deserved family holiday in Hawaii then we have been playing like amateurs in protest at even playing cricket at this sensitive time. It's a refined sort of protest that seems to fly over the heads of the typical Aussie cricket fans.

Took a while for the smoke to get to the North of the North Island but did so as of yesterday. I should be seeing half of my aunts house waft by on the breeze in about a week I reckon

The media pile on the PM was disgraceful. Emergency response is a state responsibility, not federal. Federal politicians don't have a role to play. Besides, the fires were no where near as bad then as they became in the last week. Now, even if you want to make the argument that 'it is a bad look' for the PM to be on holidays, the Victorian state Premier (Premier = Governor) was too! And he stayed away longer. The premiers are at least closer to the action even if they don't have an operational role either so if people want to say that the PM should be here then that goes double for the Premiers. Of course, nothing was said about Premier Andrews. And that is because his party is the one that the MSM prefers.

Back