Points?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdrew888

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is an old Stihl 041 that wont to rev up like it should. I've been playing around with the carb adjustments several times setting the high speed to 3/4 of a turn and the low speed to 1 1/4 turns out then trying to set idle first. Couldn't get it to idle very well and couldn't get it to run very fast either. I thought perhaps the dwell was out but when I opened her up this is what I found. If that's an electronic ignition I sure wasn't expecting to find that on this old saw.

Am I correct in assuming this saw doesn't have points?

FT8Hk3s.jpg

LC2461s.jpg

Cheers!

The first 041 had points, later the electronic module was an option as far as I know, before points were discontinued altogether. The module replaced the points 1:1 and if the crankshaft has a cam points probably can also be fitted on electronic models.

I think I've had 041 saws with points before...These older saws aren't known for super high revs...I noticed some tape on the spark plug wire, maybe he has a miss?

Good eye! I removed the tape before I put the flywheel and fuel tank back on to see what the previous owner was covering up. There are two minor chafe marks where the insulation was rubber through. I re-taped it a little better than you see in the picture but it didn't seem to improve anything.

When I was messing around with the low/high speed screws I had it revving much higher than it will go now but it wouldn't idle. That's when I had the bright idea that the points might need some work. I think I have to take another look at the carburetor. I took it apart the day prior, cleaned it up and reused the original parts because I didn't have a carb kit handy.

Really old post, but I bought a Stihl 041 in 1974 from a dealer who sold saws to loggers. At the time the 041 AV's were available with points or electronic ignition. The dealer recommended buying the points version because the electronic version that the loggers were buying at the time came back for repair quite often. I got the points version, and I still have it.

My 041 AVE was like that from the time I bought it. I replaced fuel and impulse lines, rebuilt the carb, and still couldn't get the carb to dial in and run right, even with a good hot spark. The PTO side crank seal had the rubber separated into two completely separate pieces. A new seal and it runs much, much better, even though it is an old saw with a lot of wear and tear.

Back