Suggestions for a light weight saw for trimming and limbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the o.p has to determine his long term needs . Since he considers the 5020 " a big saw " that weighs to much indicates , his needs are a 30 c.c class , perhaps even a rear handle saw . I think a stop at various dealers will enlighten him to what he feels is a suitable replacement !

I can relate to the OP. I also own a 5020 and wanted a lighter saw and bought a 352. Found a brand new one on ebay for less then the cost of a 170.

Yeah, my 5020 actually cuts great! It's just heavy for what it is. My little cheap poulan was perfect for the smaller around the house stuff.

As far as those Joncutter saws on Huztl.......are they complete junk? Would I be better off with something like this G3800 with a shorter bar on it vs. the Echo 352 for for than double the price? Do they have a good track record?

https://www.huztl.net/38cc-JonCutte...hain-and-blade-One-Year-Warranty-p720636.html

Yeah, my 5020 actually cuts great! It's just heavy for what it is. My little cheap poulan was perfect for the smaller around the house stuff.

As far as those Joncutter saws on Huztl.......are they complete junk? Would I be better off with something like this G3800 with a shorter bar on it vs. the Echo 352 for for than double the price? Do they have a good track record?

https://www.huztl.net/38cc-JonCutte...hain-and-blade-One-Year-Warranty-p720636.html

I also considered Ryobi and Chinese clones as the price point was very tempting. I already own a MTD/Chinese/Craftsman 46cc and it still works great after several years of use. Although the crank shaft is bent it does not throw chains. Eventually it will self destruct. I bought the 5020 used for very cheap and it was almost like new condition. Replaced carb, lines and filter for $15 and it runs great. Didnt need the 5020, yet, but could not pass it up.

The ultimate decision for the 352 was that I wanted a very light chainsaw. Torn rotator cuff and older now and decided to spoil myself with a better quality saw. Otherwise, the Chinese clones could also get the job done for several years given "my" requirements. ~2 cords of Oak a year and dealing with large old fruit trees on 5.5 acres.

Just for occasional trimming and small stuff I sometimes use one of the older Wild Thing Poulans. They're dirt cheap around here and easy to work on..Some of the older Wood Sharks are good too...

I'm not against a cheap Poulan.....my last one lasted me 10+ years before something came apart inside the motor. But at this point in my life, I have enough money laying around that a nicer $200-$250 saw isn't going to break me.

I also have a Poulan 5020....and aside from being pretty heavy, it's been a really good saw.....I just don't like lugging it around all day for light work.....it kills my back.

If it came down to the Stihl MS170 ($180), echo 310 ($199), or echo 352 ($250)......what is the best saw for the money? I'm assuming any of these saws will run better by opening up the muffler and retuning? That sure woke my 5020 up.

At this point....my biggest goal is to find something light weight.

If it came down to the Stihl MS170 ($180), echo 310 ($199), or echo 352 ($250)......what is the best saw for the money?

IMO you're down to MS170 vs 310, in which case CS-310 would be the bang for buck winner. 5y warranty vs 1, side chain tensioner, adjustable carb.

Does the warranty matter? For most of us, no. Sure the 170 can be upgraded to a proper chain tensioner and a fully adjustable carb but the little echo has them standard.

IMO you're down to MS170 vs 310, in which case CS-310 would be the bang for buck winner. 5y warranty vs 1, side chain tensioner, adjustable carb.

Does the warranty matter? For most of us, no. Sure the 170 can be upgraded to a proper chain tensioner and a fully adjustable carb but the little echo has them standard.

No, warranty doesn't matter really.

Is the echo 352 worth the extra $50 over the 310 or MS170?

Thanks guys....just ordered that Echo 352 off of eBay. $200.....and it will be here Monday . Saved me almost $80 over buying locally when you figure in tax.

Almost too good to be true....hope it's not a refurb saw or something....and hope you doesn't trash it.
If you're talking about sales tax, ebay is starting to charge state sales taxes on purchases even on China stuff. I've been paying Indiana sales tax through ebay for several months now...Indiana's way of leveling the playing field between brick and mortar stores and internet sales while also enrichening themselves...

Latest posts

Back