Recommended replacement saw for Poulan 42cc...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My little Poulan 4218 (WalMart special) was recently damaged, and requires replacement. It was my smallest saw, with Echo CS-501P and CS-620PW big brothers. I really like the little Poulan, as it was small, light, and my go-to for limbing and general light duty stuff. The 501 got the call for bucking most trees, with the 620 being used for real big stuff or noodling.

Given the saws I have, I'm curious on recommendations for something to replace the "handy" Poulan. I've considered going to Walmart/Lowes/HD and just picking up another Poulan. I know folks love to hate them, but I had mine for over 15 years, and it did great for me. I had to replace a chain adjuster and an oiling pump, but aside from that it worked great (using non-ethanol fuel, and with a muffler mod).

One of the local retailers has the little Poulan 3314 (33cc, 14in bar) for $70. That's smaller than the 4218 (42cc, 18in bar) saw I had, but may actually be a little better for me. I've looked at the Echo 310 and 352 as well, thinking along the lines of "just keep them all Echo". They're all a long way from $70, though. The 310 is $200, and it's the least expensive.

Curious as to your thoughts and suggestions. I'm a homeowner, cutting wood for our wood furnace. We burn 5 or so cord a year.

Check the EPA tag on the 3314. It might be the same 42 cc powerhead that you are used to in your 4218. Only difference is it is green instead of yellow. My aunt's 42cc 3314 was the strongest running 42 cc Poulan I have ever used, at least until I burned it up cutting 30" cottonwood.

Personally I would go to a Echo dealer and buy a CS 400 40cc Chain saw. Mine has been a great little saw and fills in nicely between thre poulan 2150 I own and the 2159 Jred, 55 husky and 162se husky.

The Echo starts with in 3 pulls no mater how cold or hot the weather is is the easiest saw I own of fuel usage. I have a 18 inch bar on it and it cuts well enough I find my self cutting fire wood I really should be useing a bigger saw on but the weight is easier on me.

I would buy from a Echo dealer and ask them to tune it before you take delivery as there were reports earlier of saws delivered lean and burning up the piston.

Yes you can get one at home depot then tune it your self if you know how.

:D Al

Personally I would go to a Echo dealer and buy a CS 400 40cc Chain saw. Mine has been a great little saw and fills in nicely between thre poulan 2150 I own and the 2159 Jred, 55 husky and 162se husky.

The Echo starts with in 3 pulls no mater how cold or hot the weather is is the easiest saw I own of fuel usage. I have a 18 inch bar on it and it cuts well enough I find my self cutting fire wood I really should be useing a bigger saw on but the weight is easier on me.

I would buy from a Echo dealer and ask them to tune it before you take delivery as there were reports earlier of saws delivered lean and burning up the piston.

Yes you can get one at home depot then tune it your self if you know how.

Yep , either the CS400 or the CS352 !

I've had 3 poulans.
One ran fine for a short time. Then, became hard starting.
The other 2 had ignition problems.
I've had
1 stihl 031
1 stihl 066
1 stihl 046
2 stihl 017
I've had good service out of the Stihls.
I've had homelight, and craftsman. But the Stihls are better.
I suspect Echo would be a huge step up from Poulan.
Huskeys are good saws. I see others running them.
N

My Echo CS 400 will be 5 come May. Worn out a bunch of chains, and one bar and that was due to the sprocket wearing out the axle.

Like I said I use it places I should probably use one of the bigger saws.
I ;ike it so much it is just about always rideing on the tractor with me.

354a405.jpg

xIgFDdX.jpg

If they're in decent condition and for small stuff I still like the older Poulan Wood Shark saws, light weight and enough power for the smaller work..I know it's not popular to say but lately I've been using my Echo 330T for small trimming and limbing, very light and can be used one-handed if necessary..

Echo makes some excellent ope and seeing as you two already you might as well give them a little brother.

I bought one CS-400 and my brother came along and used it. He said man that thing is light and cuts good I think I want one to use around the farm instead of my bigger saws. I told him to keep it and I ordered another for me. Both had the Muf-mod and limiters remover, tabs shaved off and placed back on the carb and then a tune job. You have to remove the limiters to tune the carb if you do a Muf-mod because you could run lean if you don't. After the muffler mod and carb tune they ran like a much bigger saw, for their size they run like a beast.

To the original post. I had a poulan 42cc for a little while and exchanged it and payed the difference for a rancher 455. Didn’t know jack about saws at the time but night and day difference. As an amateur user I had a big big smile on my face after that.

If you can find a used Echo CS-345 or 346, that's a great possibility also. I have one that runs like a deer. A tree trimmer traded me that for a Stihl 025. I figured it was a toss up. My Echo CS-3900 is really jealous.

Back