555 or 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never said I didn't love my 371 or that I was getting rid of it.

I just meant the 550 amazes me for its size and how much it rips through wood. You can't help but enjoy running it.

Im not a big fan of auto tune for my own reasons. Not to say it is bad because its great technology. But the 550xp is one auto tune that i would like to have.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I'd probably get the 365. 555 is real sweet, and will definitely out cut your other two saws. But it may not be enough rungs up the ladder from the 2149 and 026 to be worth spending the money. $600+ and you will not have gained that much capability over what you already own.

Qualifier there of course is that I'm assuming there is a need for a larger saw like the 365. If it's really over kill, and you'd hardly use it, then the 555 is the better choice. What size wood you typically run into would help the discussion along.

I'd probably get the 365. 555 is real sweet, and will definitely out cut your other two saws. But it may not be enough rungs up the ladder from the 2149 and 026 to be worth spending the money. $600+ and you will not have gained that much capability over what you already own.

Qualifier there of course is that I'm assuming there is a need for a larger saw like the 365. If it's really over kill, and you'd hardly use it, then the 555 is the better choice. What size wood you typically run into would help the discussion along.
Mostly under 20 " maybe a few bigger but not very many. It's already paid for I just got to pick one. I cut down about 10 trees this weekend and none were bigger than 10

Mostly under 20 " maybe a few bigger but not very many. It's already paid for I just got to pick one. I cut down about 10 trees this weekend and none were bigger than 10

10" wood is the sweet spot for sure, isn't it? Small saws, rounds not too heavy, less splitting involved. Unless you have a bunch of support equipment, I think a guy can be far more productive cutting 8"-12" wood. In large part cause you don't get worn out bulling heavy rounds.

But if you do run into a fair amount of 16" to 20" wood, then the added capability of the 365 might be the way to go. Just make sure the shop adjusts the carb when they set up the saw. They come a bit too lean out of the box. Any good shop should do that with all adjustable saws.

10" wood is the sweet spot for sure, isn't it? Small saws, rounds not too heavy, less splitting involved. Unless you have a bunch of support equipment, I think a guy can be far more productive cutting 8"-12" wood. In large part cause you don't get worn out bulling heavy rounds.

But if you do run into a fair amount of 16" to 20" wood, then the added capability of the 365 might be the way to go. Just make sure the shop adjusts the carb when they set up the saw. They come a bit too lean out of the box. Any good shop should do that with all adjustable saws.
Yeah it's super fun. I could do that all day. I just got a 4 wheeler with a trailer. I just cut rounds out in the woods and haul it back to house when I fill. That's one of my favorite things to do. Good advice about the saw. My dealer is really good so I'm pretty lucky there20200105_100951.jpg

Fishercat, do you have the 550xp OE, or Mark 2?

I have the OE, and I Love it, AFTER , it Auto Tunes. The first time I start it, especially if I am at a significantly different elevation, than the last time I ran it, it takes longer than I like for It to tune itself. Once it is tuned it runs great, and is a real Joy to use

Doug :cheers:
I got the first gen. I got it for $519 so I jumped on it. I really wasnt interested in the extra weight of the mk2.

I do NOT regret it! This thing is impressive!

Im not a big fan of auto tune for my own reasons. Not to say it is bad because its great technology. But the 550xp is one auto tune that i would like to have.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
I grew fond of auto tune when doing tree work. Used the 562xp and t540xp.

I thoroughly enjoyed both of those saws. Never gave me any trouble. I'm loving the 550xp. I like auto tune.

I never said I didn't love my 371 or that I was getting rid of it.

I just meant the 550 amazes me for its size and how much it rips through wood. You can't help but enjoy running it.
That's true, I suppose.

But my '71 just sound so 'Angry!' when I'm running it. I can't help but smile. :)

My father-in-law has a Stihl MS180 with the wind-up spring starter... It's really nice and handy (*GASP*! Husqvarna owner likes Stihl! Hell hath frozen over!) when you're limbing through the brush to get to the big log.

Well Matt? What’d you decide on?
Well I think I'm gonna do the 555 with the 20 inch bar but he may talk me into the 365. I'm working everyday. So I haven't been able to get there to see him. But first opportunity. I've got some great advice. Definitely hooked on all of this wood cutting stuff

Back