What to pair with my MS241? 362CM OR 461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with some of the other posters 90cc will be the way to go. There is a noticeable difference between 60 and 70 but not enough to justify having both in my opinion. Since you dont like husqvarna a 661 should do the trick or look in the for sale section on here there are sometimes very good deals. If you wanted to come to the dark side a 390xp is a fine implement of deforestation lol.
He's going to sell the 362 and get the 461 or 462 not have both.

I don't think his workload warrants a 661 personally. But I would agree, if he was planning on keeping the 362, a 661 would be a better addition to the stable.

I love saws and cutting wood but I don't have the money to be collecting saws just for the helluva it. That's what fishing and hunting/shooting hobbies are for.

I don't think owning a 60cc and 70cc is prudent for me. And going bigger seems like Overkill if it's my only "big saw"

I think I have my answer fellas. It sounds like it is worth the hassle to unload the 362 and step up to a 70cc class saw.

Now the follow up questions: 461 or 462? How much should I pay for a used one? And what should I ask for my 362?

I got my 462 BNIB but not from a dealer with a 28" bar and chain for $1000 shipped.

A stock 461 is going to be 90% of the saw for 50% of the money. Sounds like that's the best deal for you IMO.

I have no idea what you should ask for the 362.

I have to disagree on the 362 vs 461 being too close together to tell the difference. There is a huge difference in power between my 360 and 461, and about a 16cc jump up. Also, there is a fair amount of weight increase between the two. Love running the 461, but there are many times the 360 or even Echo 590 are more handy and lighter to use for me, but I am not in my youthful years. I look at the 461 as an almost 80cc saw. I will eventually own a Husqvarna 390 and 395 before they quit making them for the really big stuff just because I like having lots of saws!

The 362cm is 13.2 pounds, 59 cc and 4.6 hp.
The 461 is 14.6 pounds, 76.5 cc and 6 hp.

Just for reference.

In my opinion those aren't big enough jumps.

The 362cm is 13.2 pounds, 59 cc and 4.6 hp.
The 461 is 14.6 pounds, 76.5 cc and 6 hp.

Just for reference.

In my opinion those aren't big enough jumps.
Well the weight certainly does not look like much of a difference, but that 17.5cc increase just feels like a whole different class of saw to me.

I have both and threw a 261 in just because.:rolleyes:
The 261 is a 'teewner in that mix. This means you need to throw in a 79xx or bigger to balance it all out again. I could live with my 261 and 395 or 261 + 7900. Right now, having gotten rid of the 241 and kept the 261, the 7900 feels like the 'tweener.

If your 362 is in average or better condition you should easily be able to get $400-$500.

I go with a 461 and pay up to $750 for a nice used one. The 461 balances best with a “25 bar but will Handel a 32” skip when needed .

First, if you look at my signature block you will see that I have or was in your situation except my 362 is not CM (wish it were).

Anyway, the 362 is a good one saw plan.

If I could only keep two saws it would be my 241 and 461.

I kept my 362, just because or in the event that if I ever had an issue with my 461 then I'd at least have bigger saw than the 241 for bucking.

For what it's worth, I run a 20 inch bar on the 362 and a 25 on the 461.... I sure like that 461 it's a very powerful and reliable saw.

I'd say a 40cc and a 70cc two saw setup is pretty solid.

The 362 always seemed like a good 1 saw option for people, but it doesn't fit well in any real multi saw stable.

** What EchoRomeo Charlie said :)

I really like my MS460. I’ve got it set up with a 28” Tsumura light bar running .404 skip tooth chain. I might switch to full comp instead of skip though.

Hey guys,

Great forum you have here. First post for me.

I live in NorCal and use my saws for mostly personal firewood. We have Ponderosa Pine, Cedar, and Assorted oaks. Most stuff stays about 18 to 24 inches but it's not terribly uncommon for me to fell a bigger tree or two.

I'm currently running a MS241 for limbing and small stuff and a MS362cm with a 25" bar for the big stuff.

Now that you have the background, my question is: should I dump my 362 for a used 461 or maybe a 462cm? Is it a good combo for me to run a 40cc and a 70cc?

I feel like my 362 is terribly underpowered sometimes, especially when felling or bucking up the bigger Black Oaks. I picked up the 362 in good condition for 400 and I have my eye on a 2016 461 for about 500.

I also live in NorCal. Here we have Madrone, Doug Fir, oaks, bays and maples. The largest I've cut was 4.5'.

I also have a 241cm and 362CM. The 24" bar is too long for the 362. I also have an 18" but I think 20" would be good too. I've also got a 460 for the larger stuff. When I got that the 24" bars went on it and the 362 got the 18".
If you can afford an extra saw then adding a large one for big trees makes sense. The way I look at it is that it costs so much to have a crew out that if I can do the work myself it's worth spending a little on equipment to do it.

I think the step from the 241 to 461 is too big. At least for me there's a lot of stuff in the middle that I don't need the size and power of the 460 for. The smaller 362 is lighter and easier to handle so I can go longer without getting tired.

Very very few people in chainsaws, automobiles or trucks having owned more ever ask for less of an engine. HP rules because it's always there.... and quiet when you don't.

I knew when I fount this forum it would lead me down a path of wants and desires. Bad Place!

For years I used a one all around saw, Stihl 362. Christmas I treated myself to a Stihl 261 C-M because you guys are a bad influence and I'm not getting any younger tooting a 362 for a 12 mile hike.

Now with this posting I'm rethinking a two saw plan. The 462C-M head weight is 13 pounds and my 362 is 12.3 pounds. Not that much different. Besides I can get a newbie that I'm training to carry it.

We have saws I can use like a 440 but just cant get past the weight to carry for long distances. Near the trail-head awesome!

I'm liking the idea of the 261 C-M and selling the 362 for funds to go to the 462 C-M. There are many times bucking trees on the trail I'm cutting into 24" to 45" trees. The bigger trees I wish the 362 had just a little more humph. For the head weight difference of 0.7 pounds I get more CC and BHP.

This forum is evil, but I like where things are going.

You got the right idea. If I could do it all over again, being a 2 saw guy, I would do a 50cc and 70cc.

For the time being, I will keep the 40cc 241 and get rid of the 362. Just have to decide on a 500 dollar 461 or 1000 dollar 462cm.....

Evil forum....

Back